Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Outside Security Light Will Not Turn Off

When we picked up our new Solera 24W, I noitced that the outside security light on the driver's side was on. During the demo, I asked about it and they showed me the switch on the control panel that should turn it off. However, the switch does not control the outside light. Instead, it controls the light in the closet. The outside light is not switched. The dealer removed the bulb. Clearly, something is miss wired. They said they were going to try to get a wiring diagram from FR, but it's been three weeks and still no word. I will have to call, again, after the holiday.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

A while back, Brian posted the wiring diagrams for the 24R. You can find them here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ams-73737.html

They may differ from the 24W, but I'd bet that they're pretty close...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Thanks. I have those diagrams. They are different for the W as I cannot find a light on the R diagram that would correspond to the closet light in the W. I think I know where the problem is. I just need to trace some current connections to find the ones that got switched. They are in the slide out. Hopefully, they will be the ones that are accessible from inside where the drawers are and not buried in the wall. It's so much easier to do it right the first time!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

If you have a remote try turning it off with it.

Frank
Zeuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuster View Post
If you have a remote try turning it off with it.

Frank
There is no remote.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Class C Representative

Did you try the buttons down by the door and not on the panel? It's by the awning button and battery disconnect.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbright View Post
When we picked up our new Solera 24W, I noitced that the outside security light on the driver's side was on. During the demo, I asked about it and they showed me the switch on the control panel that should turn it off. However, the switch does not control the outside light. Instead, it controls the light in the closet. The outside light is not switched. The dealer removed the bulb. Clearly, something is miss wired. They said they were going to try to get a wiring diagram from FR, but it's been three weeks and still no word. I will have to call, again, after the holiday.
Does your switch say "security light"? Mine says "drivers side rear light". Could you be trying the wrong switch?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #8

Yes, the switch is labeled 'Driver Side Rear Light.' It is not wired correctly. That switch controls the light in the closet. The outside light is not switched. It is a manufacturing error.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #9

You or an electrician can pull that switch panel an with trial and error probable diagnose the two switched wires in very short order.
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #10

Not the Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydrifter View Post
You or an electrician can pull that switch panel an with trial and error probable diagnose the two switched wires in very short order.
I have not yet completed the fix for this, but my guess is that the wiring in the control panel is fine. After looking at the wiring in the slide out, which is where both of these lights are located, I suspect that they just spliced the wrong wires together. I can see some of the splices, but I fear that one that I need access to may be in the closet wall rather than behind the drawers where I could get to it. I'll let you know when I finally resolve this.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

At least it's not blowing the fuse for your interior lights...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

I created a new profile to get the Forum working as it should for me. halbright is now hfalbright.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #13

Fixed

This morning I decided to dig into the lighting wiring of my Solera 24W to find out why the outside light could not be turned off and why the closet light was operated by the switch for the outside light. The statement of the problem pretty much defines the solution. The problem was that, when wiring the slide-out, they spliced the wrong wires together in two places. Once I was able to locate the wires and splices, the fix was simple: put them where they belonged. I was able to access the wires and splices by removing the two drawers beneath the closet. The green/white wire is the switched one from the control panel. The blue/white one is not switched. Wires to the lights are black/white. Sure enough, the closet light was wired to the switched green/white wire instead of to the un-switched blue/white wire. There were four sets of black/white wires. Finding the right one required cutting off the bullet splice, stripping the wires, and touching them to the switched wire until the outside light came on, then resplicing them all back together accordingly. It wasn't a biggie, but it was one of those annoying little problems that shouldn't exist.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for giving us the answer to the fix. Always nice when results are posted. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light