Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
The manual states any oil meeting MB Spec 229.51 per With 5W-40 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ ESP Formula M 5W-40 being the recommended oil It is carried by Walmart, Auto Zone and others (Canadian tire up here) Don't forget to change the fuel filter often

PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
sreddy, Agreed, the brands listed in my post were the ones I was told by MB service that are "currently available in the US". I should have made that clearer as 229.51 lists many brands and grades approved for use in MB emission controlled Diesel engines.

My local MB Dealer uses Mobil 1 ESP but I have had no luck finding it in any local retail store here in NE Wisconsin.

Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Thanks to all for the replies. I do like to change my own oil, filters, etc. and apparently this is easily done with the MB Sprinter. Looks like availability of the M-spec Mobil 1 is limited. Thanks to JLeising for posting a link to this product on Amazon for $51.70/6pack and prime shipping. That seems to be a good price, particularly with No NC Tax applied. NAPA shows it on their website, but my nearest store does not stock!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Thanks to all who posted on this. Mobil 1 5w40 ESP is available from MB dealers and also from Mobil oil distributors. Mobil has a lookup site where the regional distributors are located. Current price is $3 + bucks cheaper per case from the distributor than the amazon site. But if you can skip the tax your ahead.

2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, maintenance, mercedes