Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Question Owner Self-service on MB engine/chassis

Haven't been able to find this anywhere in the forum. I placed our order for a Solera yesterday at the Greensboro NC RV show. We are downsizing from a 38 footer with Cummins Diesel. Due to the size and volume of the fluids (26qts of oil) I have always had Cummins shop do my maintenance. The MB seems a little more user friendly. Do any of you do your own lube services? How difficult is it and does it void warranty with Mercedes?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

I do not own one, but the MB 5 cylinder turbo diesel and chassis are also sold under the Dodge name as a Sprinter. I would check, but I believe that any Dodge dealer can service the engine as well with factory parts etc. if that is important to you.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Swap outMB's 6 cyl engine needs special synthetic motor oil, because of the recent (2010) emission changes. The oil must meet MB specs so you do not damage the engine and foul the particulate filter, which are now installed on diesel engines. I believe you would need to take your unit to a MB dealer, that services Sprinters (post Dodge era) since Diamler Benz divested themselves of Dodge a few years ago.

If you are familiar with oil changes, MB Sprinter is not that difficult when changing the oil. You need to allow for the greater oil capacity when draining the oil. I believe it holds around 15 qts. Also, you will need a 14 point oil filter socket, to revove the housing to swap out the oil filter.

Always, and I mean always, keep documentation, receipts, etc. to keep your engine warranty in good standing with the manufacturer.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

The sticker under the hood of my 2013 Solera 24R says Mobile 1.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

True. However DO NO T use just the generic Mobile 1 synthetic. You must use a special formulation of that brand, which to date, is not even carried by the likes of Advanced Auto or Autozone stores. Attempts to try and clue in those retailers to try and stock this item fell on deaf ears. All 2010 and beyond diesel engines, need a special formulation (i.e. VW, MB, etc.)
that meet the maufactures spec. Failure to do so, might call the warranty into question.

Good luck and give feedback to this site if you find other outlets. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

And I thought that there was only one kine of Mobile 1. Thanks for clarifying that.

I just bought the Solera, so I will not need oil for awhile.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

Here is a list of diesel motor oil currently available in the US that meets MB specs for use in all MB auto and truck diesel engines. This info was given to me by the Service Manager at my local MB/Sprinter Dealer.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5-40

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra ABL

Valvoline SynPower MST 5-40

Havoline Ultra S

Castrol MagnaTech Pro 5-40

Castrol Edge FST 5-40

The only place that I have been able to purchase MB spec. oil is at the Dealer, around $10.00 a quart.

BTW, MB says oil use of 1 quart per 1000 mi. is within spec. and would not be a warranty item.

Hope this info helps.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

If you look into the Sprinter manual that is part of the Solera documentation package there is )at least in ours) a list of motor oils acceptable and approved by MB. It is over a page long....

Reiner
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #9

Update on oil availabity for Mobil 1 ESP 5w40. Reading some blogs on price and availabity, indicate that Pepboys carries it, but has dramatically increased their price more than $4.00 per Qt. over the last three years. Might just be the lack competion, because the other chain auto parts stores not bothering to carry this formulation.

Not sure about all the other MB spec oils that were posted here. If anybody has found it at a reasonable price please let us know. Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
2012 Solera

Amazon? Mobil 1 105856-CASE M 5W-40 ESP Formula Motor Oil - 1 Quart, (Pack of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

The manual states any oil meeting MB Spec 229.51 per http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/m...nce_Manual.pdf With 5W-40 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ ESP Formula M 5W-40 being the recommended oil It is carried by Walmart, Auto Zone and others (Canadian tire up here) Don't forget to change the fuel filter often
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

sreddy, Agreed, the brands listed in my post were the ones I was told by MB service that are "currently available in the US". I should have made that clearer as 229.51 lists many brands and grades approved for use in MB emission controlled Diesel engines.

My local MB Dealer uses Mobil 1 ESP but I have had no luck finding it in any local retail store here in NE Wisconsin.
Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #13

Thanks to all for the replies. I do like to change my own oil, filters, etc. and apparently this is easily done with the MB Sprinter. Looks like availability of the M-spec Mobil 1 is limited. Thanks to JLeising for posting a link to this product on Amazon for $51.70/6pack and prime shipping. That seems to be a good price, particularly with No NC Tax applied. NAPA shows it on their website, but my nearest store does not stock!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #14

Thanks to all who posted on this. Mobil 1 5w40 ESP is available from MB dealers and also from Mobil oil distributors. Mobil has a lookup site where the regional distributors are located. Current price is $3 + bucks cheaper per case from the distributor than the amazon site. But if you can skip the tax your ahead.

Tags
diesel, maintenance, mercedes