Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 02:09 AM   #1

Passenger side rear viewing

I am a new RVer and I have 2015 24R. I am still not used to drive this RV, specially with trouble of rear view sight thru mirror. Because of the awning arm on passenger side, most part of the rear view mirror is covered. Is there anybody who improved the viewing other than putting the camera? Thank you, in advance.
rvcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

Driving Hack: Adjusting Car Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots

I position both ( upper & lower convex ) out until I no longer see the side of the RV ( or the awning arm )

there is nothing I can do about drivers behind me, if they are going to run into me, I cannot accelerate enough to prevent it, my only defense is to leave enough clearance toward the front so as not to have to slam on the brakes

I don't need to see the side of the RV - if a car is there, it's already rammed me

I do want to see out into the blind spot(s) as much as possible
Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Do you have a rear view camera? I have one on my Solera and I use it to view traffic around the rear of my vehicle more than I use my passenger mirror. If I see something in on the camera then I start looking at the mirrors closer.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #4

Okay, I will try to use rear view camera first. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
2015 Solera 2400R

RVcamper,
I have the same problem. I even went as far as going on Ebay UK and purchasing a drivers side rearview mirror (the right side mirror in England) which extends out slightly more, but it ended up with the vertical portion of the window right in the middle of the mirror, making it useless. I changed back. I put on a mirror extender, but because of the way the mirrors are made, it wouldn't stay in place.

I use the rear camera, changed the position of it so it shows further behind me. However, it makes everything look like it is much further back than they really are. Additionally, it is basically useless at night. I have been considering getting another backup camera and wiring it into the radio to use as a rear view or changing the current one to something different. I also have been looking at a different type of mirror extender.

No solution yet.
Echoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

When I first took delivery of my Solera the rear camera wasn't adjusted well at I. I tried adjusting it myself,but it was still lousy. Fortunately, a service person knew how to adjust it right and it made a world of difference. Even so, as a solo traveler I added an additional night vision camera and rear bumper back up sensors for additional safety.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

Set the large mirror for a general view of the area to the side of the vehicle. If you can see more than the back corner of the Solera, you have it set too far to the rear. This is particularly useful when passing an on-ramp. Check for cars merging that WILL zoom to get in from of you.

Set the lower fish eye mirror to look right into the lane next you. It should be set to see a car in the blind spot next to your rear wheels. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MIRROR.

then learn to scan these mirrors any time you pass an on ramp or detect a car closing on the right, or plan to change lanes.

I mostly use the rear view to see how many cars are behind me if I am going slow on a two lane road. then I can pull over and let them go on.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
2012 Solera

From earlier forum comments, I believe this became an issue when FR redesigned the Solera slightly shorter and slightly wider - maybe in 2014? We with earlier models have less of a problem with the passenger side mirror. Suspect the slightly wider body pushed the awning arm further into the mirror.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #9

I agree you might try moving the mirror out it is not the best fix but it may make it a bit better it doesn't fit in a notch but it does stay put until you hit it walking past.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #10

We added side cameras which are great. With the mirrors, backup camera and side cameras you can keep a good eye on what is happening beside and behind you. That backup sensor mentioned sounds good.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

I added an XLR Ratchet Clip On Mirror (Camping World) on the passenger side mirror of my MBS 2401R. Works great!
normtre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtre View Post
I added an XLR Ratchet Clip On Mirror (Camping World) on the passenger side mirror of my MBS 2401R. Works great!
I think this will help best.