Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Picking up 24r

For those of you who already have your solera's, what should I discuss with the dealer at the PDI? I.E. How to manually operate the slides? Etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Congrats!!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

When the rep. finds some white rods in the cabinets see if he knows what they are. Seems most don't know their suppose to be placed on top of the slides when their retracked in for travel, supposely to keep the slide from sliding out while your going down the road is what I heard? I don't know for sure as my rep. didn't know what they were and I've never used them.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Ok, I will. Anything else? Come on, throw them at me, I mean them!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Here's four things I missed. Checking to see if city water hook up works. Mine didn't when I took my first trip. Just hate to make the 100 mile round trip to dealer for just this. Second the locks on the storage compartments. Out of all the locks, my keys only work on two locks. Slide topper adjustments. There is a bumper thingy that is supposed to be positioned 90 degrees from stop. Finally back up camera. I checked and worked fine, but only checked to see that it functioned. Didn't notice that if you have an "R" the topper obscures 50% of the picture - duh!
Luvnlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #6

My list of repair items, after I spent 6 hours doing my own PDI at home:

1. Black water tank leaks at vent pipe
2. Door over fridge blocks latching bi-fold door open.
3. Left rear wheel well mud flap has an apparent unnecessary or not properly fastened screw
4. Excess caulk right side top near front on side skin.
5. Wood platform for dinette seats is not properly attached, both seats.
6. Range vent is not open on the outside.
7. Dinette slide top outside seal is crushed.
8. Two runs in paint on driver’s door.
9. Separation in mattress fabric.
10. Tire valve extenders are rubbing and appear to be at risk of premature failure.
11. Tire valve extenders do not work with any pressure gauge that I have tried.
12. Windshield sprayer does not spray. Tank seems to be full enough.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
When the rep. finds some white rods in the cabinets see if he knows what they are. Seems most don't know their suppose to be placed on top of the slides when their retracked in for travel, supposely to keep the slide from sliding out while your going down the road is what I heard? I don't know for sure as my rep. didn't know what they were and I've never used them.
I did not get those rods at all.

Should I inquire about them?

What is the proper term to describe them, especially when talking with a dealer not familiar with the part?
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
2012 Solera

From my experience on my 2012 Solera "S":
-Thoroughly test the slideouts. Mine (Lippert electric dinette slideout) was slow - dealer first said battery charge; then said lubrication - had him charge the batteries and lube it and accepted - mistake - turned out the motor mount weld to the frame was failing - broke off after about five uses.
-Similar to Wayne's (PopBeaver's) experience - issues with dually valve extenders. Inners would not accept normal tire guage or air chuck; all four extenders loose enough to whip around while driving. I corrected extenders to accept air, and tied to wheel covers with wire ties after covering each with a protective piece of hose (used 1/2 inch garden drip hose as protective cover).
-Assuming Magnadyne in-dash entertainment center, check the TV while playing a DVD on the Magnadyne and watching on the TV. I had noise "dark bars" on the screen and hum in the audio. On advice from FR rep on this forum. added ground loop interrupters to all four audio lines and to the video line to fix. Good now.
-Assuming Magnadyne with GPS, there is a history of these units re-setting themselves while viewing the map screen and driving (while the unit is playing a CD especially). You'll need to drive the unit some miles (20+ often) to observe this issue. If your unit does re-set, it needs a firmware update from Magnadyne to correct. Installing the firmware update requires pulling the unit from the dash - which involves partial dash disassembly. Also, on my unit the Magnadyne would shift the display to dim - night mode - when the engine was started. It detected the headlights coming on (used by Mercedes as day time running lights) and therefore decided it was "night". If your unit is the same, I found I had to manually set it back to daytime mode each engine start - or disconnect the headlight sensor wire.The display on the Magnadyne is marginal on brightness; in dim mode it is very hard to see.
-My unit had a broken lense on one of the "flush mount glass" interior lights.
-The outside cover on the stove vent hood is hard to open - especially the first time. Suggest you have your dealer demonstrate for you.
-On my unit I could see light out of the front and back bottom edges of the slideout when it was fully retracted. I added weatherstripping along the bottom edge of the slideout to correct.
-Suggest you have the dealer show you the water filter, hot water tank bypass valves, water tank drain valve, and the low point drains.
-Historically these units have too small a hole to pass a normal sewer connector through to drain the tanks. Most of us solved by cutting the ears off a connector. I understand Forest River has since changed to a larger bulkhead port - suggest you ask your dealer to demonstrate - see if your unit has the larger port.
-Suggest you have the dealer demo the "outside shower" - really a hose in the facilities compartment. Some have had trouble connecting it - good to get a demo.
-Suggest you have the dealer show you how to set the fan to "AU" (auto) on the thermostat. Unless set to auto, the fan in the AC starts when you run the furnace - has been disconcerting to many on this forum.
-Suggest you ask your dealer to "top off" the DEF - the DEF tank is good for about 4000 miles before lighting a dash warning light - after transit to CA, my DEF light came on after I drove it only about 2000 miles. Also suggest you have the dealer show you where the tank is.
-The shower door on my unit would not stay latched, resulting in the door slamming around and jumping out of the track while driving. Dealer attemted to adjust - failed - I fixed by modifying the latch.

Solera is a great vehicle - have had great fun with it already - enjoy!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

I'm not sure how necessary they are I've never used my there was a post on them earlier this year and think their called slide rods, but not sure of that.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the input so far! Anybody or anything else? I appreciate everyone's time by doing this!