Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

picking up new R in a few days..suggestions please

My wife and I will be picking up our new R next week. Dealer is Wilkins in Rochester NY area....a good 12 hr drive back to Tidewater VA area. We are taking videos/pictures of the walk thru. Would you have any suggestions regarding picking it up process etc? We would appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Always Learning

If you can camp near the dealer for a day or two (I know it'll be cold out!) - it'll give you a chance to really go through the camper's systems before you get too far away for warranty work to be easily done.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
2012 Solera

Our Solera is a 2012 "S". Your results may differ - but recommend you "exercise" all slides (a lot) and insist they work well. Also check tire air pressures yourself - make sure the valve extensions are properly installed to allow pressure checking and filling. Suggest tying the valve extensions to the wheels to prevent their whipping around while driving. Several threads here about Magnadyne GPS and TV sound issues. I also had issues with the shower door latch. Have the dealer top off the DEF, show you how, and walk you through the dash warning lights. When full, the DEF tank on ours gets to first warning after about 4500 miles. Suggest you carry some with you - I add a gallon after 2500 miles and then every 2000 miles to avoid the warning light. Also have the dealer describe the stability control system. May be different on yours - newer model - on ours driving in strong winds a dash warning Icon sometimes illuminates indicating Mercedes stability control system intervention - only resets after an engine shutdown and restart.
All I can think of right now - good luck and have fun!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

Way to cold in the next few days in that area. To do a stay overnight. Call ahead and explain to your salesman that since you are returning to VA, you would like him to contact FR in advance with a list of FR dealers in your area. As all walk throughs, so much in a short period of time. Bring a couple jugs of water for use on your ride back. Assume, but ask, that the unit has been winterized so thats not on your mind. I would come to this Solera forum and ask R owners the questions you will certainly have after you get familiar with your unit. Just understand that many people chim in on this Solera specific forum, when they really don't know specifics about the Solera and the MB Chassis. So if its Solera specific, this particular forum is very helpful. Other forums within the FR forum, are very helpful for the general RV related topics.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If you can camp near the dealer for a day or two (I know it'll be cold out!) - it'll give you a chance to really go through the camper's systems before you get too far away for warranty work to be easily done.
Camping close by would usually be the best thing to do, but I can't think of any cg's in the area that are open (but there may be something), and low temps are going to be back in the 20's by Sat, so heading south might be in order anyway.

I guess the 2 things that come to mind are - will they have the water system running for your PDI? I haven't been inside Wilkins, but have driven by - I am sure they have indoor prep space. Then are they going to winterize it for you to travel? They should be able to help you with a plan to protect the pipes until you get clear of the freezing weather.

And then warranty work. If anything shows up in the PDI, or afterward, what is the best way to get the work done. If you can't easily get back there, is there a local place for you have work done? Some dealers and techs are very willing to work on units they didn't sell, others won't.

Congrats on the new MH!! Hopefully you get a few nice weather days for the trip.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

A little off topic, but where in Tidewater? I'm in VA Bch. Ever camp locally? Wife and I are thinking about the KOA in Va Bch toward the end of the week, weather dependent...

Later,
B.

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
2012 Solera

Here in California I tend to forget about winterizing...
Saw some notes here on the forum that, in addition to everything normally winterized, important to be sure outside shower and black tank flush aren't missed.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #8

It would be nice to have them winterize the unit during the PDI. Watch them do it, ask questions so you'll know how to do this yourself, or better yet you do it under their supervision. Make sure you have all documentation for the onboard systems, and the remotes for the radio and backup camera system, and make sure they work.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

Make sure your backup camera is mounted so you don't see part of the slide out canopy in the monitor. Check your DVD player to TV and insure it works. Check the length of your refrigerator drain hose to ensure water does not enter the coach.
I have had a few problems, but I love the R.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Thank each and everyone of you for providing advice. We really appreciate it. I have made notes based on your comments. Our aim is to get up there via car between rotten weather weekends (I am from Watertown NY originally and know about winter), do a very in depth PDI, and get out of there.
kidagn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

Watertown, NY bless you, you do know snow. Rochester, as you know can't hold a candle to the Tug Hill Plateau. Good luck on your new Solera.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

a few more tips

A lot of good comments in this forum. All I can add is

1- check all luggage compartment doors. We had a lot of issues with the latches not opening and closing correctly. Also check inside the bay for water leaks . The seals around the door are not the best.

2- run the microwave for at least 15 minutes. Ours kept shutting down after 10 minutes. Had to have it replaced.

3- Same with the stove. Once it reached the preset temperature, it would shut down completely.

4- check all the drawer latches. We had two broken ones. And while you're at it, check the drawer bottom panel. One of ours didnt fit and fell out.

5- check the electric door step. You dont want to hear any clicks and bangs. Ours quit after a short while.

6- Look for loose outside slide seals . Ours stuck to the slide side, pulling itself out of the track.

And finally, the biggest issue is to get repairs made in a timely manner. Our coach was at Buffalo RV for exactly two month, waiting for parts. I would never pay for a coach again on mere promises of having defects fixed. Have em fix it all before you pay.

Good luck
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote