Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Planning a Trip to Alaska-May 2016

Looking at traveling to Alaska next year from Orlando, Florida. Since I have never made the trip-asking which is the best way to get to Anchorage via good roads and a little worried about fuel stops for diesel through Canada-Should I carry some extra cans with me? Appreciate your insight/experience/info-Thanks in advance.
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S" with Smart towed on trailer.

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

We towed our trailer to Alaska from Florida in 2014. Crossed the border from Montana then through the Canadian Rockies to the Alaska Highway. I carried two 5 gallon cans with me for use by the generator and as emergency gas. Never had an issue getting fuel anywhere on the route. Good rule of thumb for me was to not go below half a tank before refueling.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Another option would be I29 north to the Pembina/Emerson border crossing. Then north to Winnipeg then west to the junction of highway 16 which would take you all the way to Edmonton. Then Edmonton to Dawson creek and mile 0. Probably the shortest route from Florida. You would however miss the Canadian Rockies on the way up. Gas and Diesel will not be a problem anywhere you travel in Canada. Have a good trip.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

I would recommend getting THE MILEPOST. Great source of information in planning an Alaskan trip.

The Keehne's
Forest River Sierra 300RL
5th Wheel
2008 Ford SuperDuty Diesel

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
Drivestregis

Talking Sources for Alaska Itinerary

Got my Milepost at Barnes & Noble for $35. Great book. We are thinking of going 2017. Another source for ways to do Alaska is to go online and search the websites of the various tour companies that do Alaskan RV tours. Their websites breakdown their itinerary.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

I am going also leaving out of Southern Arizona in mid May for Alaska. From what I have learned there are plenty of roadhouses and towns on the ALCAN that have fuel. It's just the price that will hurt. Plan the trip in stages. Home to the Canadian border - Canadian border to Dawson Creek - and on north from there.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #7

you can go thru Fairbanks and down or drive to Bellingham Washington and grab the ferry. loads of fun!
Rari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #8

We pulled a travel trailer up to Alaska and back last summer, towing with a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Milepost notes where you can buy diesel, and it is not a problem. We had a range of about 300 miles, but never came close to going that far between fill-ups. I just never passed a diesel station without filling if I was at or below half a tank.