Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Propane capacity

We do a lot of "primitive" camping (no hook-ups) and this past summer has been abnormally hot and humid necessitating lots of generator use for the A/C. Constantly filling propane - what is the capacity on the Solera?? Is there some way to carry and supplement propane safely?
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

8 gal capacity. Usually it lasts us 2 weeks but we din't run the generator much - about 1 hour a day....

Reiner
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Thanks! Isn't that a really small tank?? !! My pop-up camper had two 20lb tanks - I believe 4gallons = 1 lb of propane - and I only had to change a tank maybe once a summer season! Does anyone know how to supplement the propane supply for more generator use???
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Believe propane is 4.11 lbs per gallon. One "20lb tank" would therefore hold about 4.9 gallons. Think the tank on the Solera is specified as 9.8 gallons. (I believe reinerka's 8 gallon capacity is adjusted for "80% typical fill".) I think the tank on the Solera is very close to the same size as the combined size of the "two 20lb tanks" on your pop-up.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Oops!! Looks like I got that conversion backward. Thanks for correcting it. I guess running A/C off the generator just really guzzles the propane. I'm planning to install 2 vent fans and hopefully that will cut the need for A/C somewhat, although the final word on that comes from my 3 traveling Mini-Schnauzers!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
2018 FR3 30DS

D C fan

Solera 2011
Just bought a 3 speed 12 volt table top fan by Endless Breeze. Works fine off cigarette lighter plug or a 110V AC to 12V DC converter. Made by FAN-TASTIC VENT. and has a 14 Inch blade. Moves a lot of air for a small fan...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolera View Post
I guess running A/C off the generator just really guzzles the propane.
Since propane has less energy-per-gallon (91,600 BTU/gallon)than does gasoline (about 112,000 BTU/gallon), you should therefor get less runtime-per-gallon (at the same current output), as well.

That may give you something to help determine "reasonableness" of your generator's propane usage.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Run time

Propane only last about 13 hours with gen running.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Commercial Member

12 gallon tank. 80% of that is actual capacity.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
12 gallon tank. 80% of that is actual capacity.
mr clemens.

are you saying that although all sunseekers list 9.8 gallon tank that it is actually 12 gallons and that 9.8 is the actual fillable amount.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Commercial Member

That is correct.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
That is correct.
then you should at least asterisk this in the info.

manhy consumers including myself thought this was the 9.8 gallon tank that is purchasable replacement
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Commercial Member

We prefer to keep things simple...
We say "capacity" not "tank size". I'd be more concerned if we "over promised" (12.2 gallon LP with asterisk that someone doesn't read) and then we under delivered (9.8 actual capacity)

The same thing happens with hitch and water. We say 44 gallons of fresh water. That is the simple capacity, we do not include the water heater as many mfg's do.

Also, we show a 3500lbs hitch on our Solera brochure, even though it is a 5000lbs hitch. Other mfg's say "5000lbs hitch*" Then asterisk the fact that you need to really figure out what you can tow on your own. You really only have about 4200lbs of capacity. Plus, that gives us fewer footnotes to worry about.

Plus...since the new regulations require

Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #14

BCLemons -- This was very useful information for me. I'm planning to purchase in the next week, and would love some clarification.

Quote:
We prefer to keep things simple...
We say "capacity" not "tank size". I'd be more concerned if we "over promised" (12.2 gallon LP with asterisk that someone doesn't read) and then we under delivered (9.8 actual capacity)

The same thing happens with hitch and water. We say 44 gallons of fresh water. That is the simple capacity, we do not include the water heater as many mfg's do.

Also, we show a 3500lbs hitch on our Solera brochure, even though it is a 5000lbs hitch. Other mfg's say "5000lbs hitch*" Then asterisk the fact that you need to really figure out what you can tow on your own. You really only have about 4200lbs of capacity. Plus, that gives us fewer footnotes to worry about.

Plus...since the new regulations require
It seems like your response was truncated mid sentence. Something about "since the new regulations require"?

The Winnebago View 24J, one of your primary competitors, claims the following:
LP - 13 gal.
Hitch -- 5000 lbs
Tongue weight -- 500 lbs

Are you saying that the Solera has the same capacities, but just quotes the specifications more conservatively? If so, that would eliminate what I perceived to be some of the major differences.

Also, you mention "44 gallons of fresh water". Are you referring to the Solara, because the published information I could find says only 35 gallons. If 35 is right for the Solara, is that with or without the contents of the hot water heater?

Thanks from a potential Solera owner.
KingoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Not sure what I was about to write there...slept since then.

As for Capacities: Winnebago has no less than (7) foot notes.

Hitch: absolutely. We offer the same exact chassis. They just choose to list the 5000 lbs hitch even though there is only 4200 of towing capacity (unless you don't run the GVWR all the way up, whole other topic) (footnote #5 for them)

LP: Winnebago list their capacities with ASTERICK #4. from their website "Capacities shown are tank manufacturer's listed water capacity (W.C.). Actual filled LP capacity is 80% of listing due to overfilling prevention device on tank." There is a perfect example...who reads the astericks? Its misleading in my mind. So their ACTUAL capacity is 10.4, ours is 9.8...negligible difference for a not so negligible price difference.

Water I was referring to Sunseeker, since that's the one I cover most often. Notice the Winnie site says "Fresh water w/ heater". Ours are tank sizes which is 35 gallons for each floor plan. So you're looking at 41 gallons w/ heater.

I wonder if those manufacturers that use the Girard tankless water heaters remember to take off the extra 6 gallons in their specs.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #16

Question

Thanks so much BCLemens for the quick response. I really appreciate a vendor rep making this forum a priority. I was pleasantly suprised to learn that what I thought were material differences really aren't.

Just to clarify, when you say:
Quote:
Hitch: absolutely. We offer the same exact chassis. They just choose to list the 5000 lbs hitch even though there is only 4200 of towing capacity (unless you don't run the GVWR all the way up, whole other topic) (footnote #5 for them)
Does this mean that the Solera and View not only have the same chassis capcity, but also have the same same rating of hitch? Or is it that the View has a stronger hitch than the Solera (5000 vs. 3500 lbs), but doesn't have the chassis capacity to utilize it?

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
Commercial Member

We only buy one type of Hitch. Class III. Rated at 5,000 lbs. We don't even bother buying them two different stickers.

Below is the sticker on ALL of our hitches. Then we get white 3500 lbs stickers and place them over the silver 5000 lbs sticker on Solera since the Solera in theory is only rated at 4200 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	22109  

Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #18

Thank-you very much BCLemens. Another speedy reply, with photographic evidence to boot!

Since you've provided these clarifications, I've been thinking about how others might be confused by the exaggerted claims of your competitors. I applaud Forest River's truth in advertising and wouldn't want you to change this. On the other hand, it may put you at an unfair disadvantage with shoppers that focus on the technical details (like me) and don't catch the subterfuge. Other than putting footnotes (something we agree that most people don't read or understand) on your own specifications to clarify how they stack up against your competitors, I'm not sure how to address this. I can say that Forest River's more realistic specifications and your timely assistance on this forum have had a positive impact on my impression of Forest River. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #19

So, a Solera can pull a Smart car 4 wheels down without a problem?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
So, a Solera can pull a Smart car 4 wheels down without a problem?
It can pul anything 4 wheels down that is not over 4200 lbs. Beyond that you have to determine if the car can be towed 4 down. Some can't.