Old 05-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Take a look at this schedule, it might help. Propane tank pressure seems to be in the realm of appox 200psi. Pipe Pressure Ratings This might get you closer to what you need to know for this application.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
So what makes the propane regulator such a workhorse? Hereís what happens inside the regulator when you open the service valve on the container. The fuel vaporizes immediately and enters the first of two stages (#5 above). In this first stage, the incoming container pressure is reduced to approximately 10-15 pounds per square inch, (PSI). The actual pressure inside the container will vary depending on the amount of fuel in the container, the temperature and a few other factors, but suffice it to say that it may be quite high; upwards of 250 PSI or greater. Not only is the pressure high, but it is also fairly unstable, fluctuating up and down as factoring conditions, such as temperature, change. Remember that there is no pressure regulation going on inside the propane cylinder or tank, simply containment. Itís also important to note that we store propane as a liquid, yet use it at the appliances as a vapor. But letís continue.

Attached to the spring/ diaphragm connection is a mechanical pivot and arm (#6) that is connected to a seat assembly and the first stage orifice. As the diaphragm moves against the spring when the fuel enters, the pivoting arm moves the seat closer to the orifice, impeding the flow of fuel.

Fuel then enters a second chamber below a rubber diaphragm (#2) that is held steady by the opposing force of another coiled spring positioned above it (#1). As the fuel is fed into the 2nd stage chamber, the diaphragm is expanded and pushed up against the opposing strength of the coil spring, compressing it. An equivalent here would be like trying to blow up a childís balloon inside a shoebox. The sides of the box would give way to the expanding balloon until the strength of the box sides can overcome the pressure inside the balloon.

On two stage regulators, this first stage is pre-set to approximately 10-15 PSI; a setting that is non-adjustable. However, as the fuel passes through the first stage orifice of the regulator and enters the second stage chamber, regulation takes on a more definitive approach.

For years the four LP burning appliances found on typical RVs have been designed and manufactured to operate with a delivery pressure of between 10 and 14 water column inches. For optimum appliance operation, therefore, the operating line pressure is set at 11.0 inches of water column, which falls about in the middle when lock-up pressure is factored in. From this stage on, think of pressure in terms of water column inches instead of pounds per square inch. A water column inch is a much smaller unit of measurement used to measure the rather slight propane operating line pressure. I always use the analogy that it would be like measuring distance in either miles or inches. Each would be true and accurate, but the inch measurement would be more finite. For vapor pressure measurements, eleven inches of water column, (11Ē W.C.), is the equivalent of only four-tenths of one PSI, (.4 PSI)!

The RV Doctor: Avoiding the Pitfalls of RV Propane System Failure

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #13

Take a look at this blog. Reading down it looks like black continous seam weld pipe, has a rating of 800psi for a sch 40 thickness. Thanks for your reply on the swivel.

Schedule 40 pipe pressure capcity?
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
This is a somewhat off point, but has anyone rigged up a way to attach a temporary auxilliary tank on their Solera? With such a small tank on the rig, I'd like to carry a backup supply, such as a bbq grill size tank, when boondocking. My local LP guy doesn't think there is a safe way to do it. Alternatively, has anyone installed a larger tank? The answers may be in the forum somewhere already, but I had no luck finding it.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
My understanding is that FR may be making a retrofit kit to increase tank size to 20 gal.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
I agree. It would be nice to have a little extra propane capacity. A retrofit or upgrade kit from the factory would be preferred.
2011 Solera S
FixedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #17
2012 Solera
Check out "extend-a-stay" or something similar at Camping World or Amazon.
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Ok, so a local propane company said that the black iron pipe on the high pressure side of the regulators must be schedule 80 pipe and fittings. Pressures on the high pressure side of the regulators typically run about double what the temperature is, maybe slightly more. Tank relief valves are often set around 250 psi. This information was not obtained from Forest River or any other RV manufacturer so please take it for what it is. It is only general propane service information from one propane service technician.

My tank and high pressure fittings are rusted and one of my regulators is leaking so I plan to repaint the tank, replace the fittings, paint the fittings, tape the fittings and replace the regulators. Hopefully the propane system will then be good to go for many more trips.
2011 Solera S
FixedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #19
I bought a kit at camping worl to let me able to use portable bottles on mine. Works great. Can even hook a stove to it. Never tried it on a stove thou.

2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote