Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Propane heater

Anyone use their propane heater in the solera?
I was thinking about dry camping in Big Sur around thanksgiving and worried nights could get cold but don't want to burn up all the propane since the refer will be using it.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
2012 Solera

We have used the furnace while dry-camping in the Bodega Bay area. Propane use was not a significant issue - battery use was more of a concern. I think the furnace ran about six times during the night - battery was down to "two lights" in the morning. We now have a "Mr. Heater Portable Buddy" radiant heater - uses bottled propane - plan to use it for "cool" evening camping along the California coast this winter.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

I've used it twice to take the chill off in the mornings. Propane use was minimal ... as mentioned in previous reply, battery use is more the concern. The heater works amazingly well.

If you never have used it, or minimally, expect the smoke detector to go off untill it gets "burned in". You certainly don't want to go to sleep only to be awakened by a false triggered smoke alarm!
socalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Thanks
Ill probably stick with warm clothes and a down comforter
Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Over the decades we have camped at Big Sur when the kids, now 29 and 32, were out of school for winter break. We would borrow GrandPa's Southwind MH.

I don't recall using the heater. As long as the overnight low is in the upper 40's I probably would not leave the heater on overnight. I probably would use the heater to take the chill out in the morning.

But I was a lot younger then and probably could tolerate the cold better.

We will take delivery of a Solera 24R in the next few weeks. The first trip will be Big Sur in early December for the weekend.

For our current TT, I would set the thermostat to the lowest possible setting, which is about 55 F. I would set it lower if I could, but I can't so I shan't.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

We just camped in the mountains with the low 43
Solera seems well insulated because I even cracked a window
Just thought it would be real cold up north
Thanks for the reply
No need for heater
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

Never an issue with the Solera. When we do Big Sur and vicinity we use the heater in the morning and use about 1/4 of propane for the weekend (if we heat a lot run the gen, etc....)

Reiner