Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Propane Leak

Last Night I pulled into an RV park to smell propane leaking somewhere from under my 2013 Solera A. I went and turn off the propane tank to hear a "hushing' sound of the leak somewhere near the tank. Turn off the valve and it stopped. Suspect a leak from a loose hose fitting. Has anyone experienced the same problem? More later as it was to dark to troubleshoot last night and I crawl under to check all hoses today.
CaptDan
Clear Lake, Washington

Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Dan
Mix up a soap water solution and paint all the connections. You will have to turn the tanks back on so you have pressure. It will bubble at the leak and you can repair accordingly.
Good Luck

Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

I thought there was a thread about the regulator failing, causing the wooshing sound if you are close by when it goes.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Soap it up and let us know whats leaking. The other poster to this thread mentioned a seperate thread where some of the regulators were failing. However, that ended up as I recall as NO BIG DEAL by FR.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #5

Soaped it up to find the top (Cheap) Regulator has the leak. Made several phone calls to RV Direct/Local Forest River Dealer and StarRv "Diamond Extended Warranty" (Interstate) to see if I was covered under my insurance and I am. Made an appointment to have work done Monday on an in/out basis. Lucky I am on a full hook-up with electric. More later as I try my insurance for the first time. Thanks for the responses.
CaptDan
RV Park Clear Lake, Washington
PS: Planning on replacing both regulators.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Soap it up and let us know whats leaking. The other poster to this thread mentioned a seperate thread where some of the regulators were failing. However, that ended up as I recall as NO BIG DEAL by FR.
I would disagree...a faulty or failing regulator that allows propane to leak or drains the tank in one big release is a "big deal" at any time especially so if there is an ignition source near by. FR may not be too concerned because it has not been reported by very many owners to date. If I remember correctly FR was looking into whether of not the supplier of the regulator was having QA issues. I agree the most likely culprit is a loose fitting but we owners have put out all possibilities in the past (from experience or what we have heard/read) to cover the bases.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
I would disagree...a faulty or failing regulator that allows propane to leak or drains the tank in one big release is a "big deal" at any time especially so if there is an ignition source near by. FR may not be too concerned because it has not been reported by very many owners to date. If I remember correctly FR was looking into whether of not the supplier of the regulator was having QA issues. I agree the most likely culprit is a loose fitting but we owners have put out all possibilities in the past (from experience or what we have heard/read) to cover the bases.
The thread dealt with failure of LP regulators themselves as I recall, in the Solera section of this forum. You have to take into account that you're reading the posts of members only. One might pose the notion that more failures could possibly occur, by owners that are not aware of this forum. If that has merit, than the failure issue would only increase, but the lack of factual data, leaves it in the unknown realm.

In any event, leaking LP gas when in an enviroment to accumulate, with possible ignition, is something to discuss at any rate.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

I did have to replace a regulator on our new 2014 Solera. It was fine when we first picked the unit up at the dealers and started leaking a couple of days later. Did not drain the tank quickly but was a slower leak and would have taken several hours to drain. Was very glad no open flame around. Replaced the regulator and all seems fine now.
Good Luck
BadBob
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
NO BIG DEAL by FR- After being a member of this forum for several years, "IN MY OPINION," three Safety issues via blogs come to mind: Double Blowout (Tire Stems problems), Hellwig 7254 Rear Sway Bar (Driving Controllability) and Propane Leaks (faulty or failing regulator). All of which we members that own a Solera have come close to experiencing at one time or another. I still like my Solera and have dealt with all these issues. Something FR needs to look at through QA. Good Luck and Happy Travels.
Respectfully to All,
CaptDan
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
GM

Double blowout has been addressed and I have explained in detail what caused it and a course of action. None of the Solera's over the past 3-4 years have been getting stainless steel braided extensions.

Rear Sway Bar: I explained in the sway bar thread that we can't just install it, we must get blessing from Mercedes. They have not signed off at this time. No other mfg installs a helwig bar on their Sprinter chassis.

Propane-the issues that we have seen have been very random. Every propane system is tested before it leaves the plant and when it arrives at the dealer.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane