Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Propane Leak

Last Night I pulled into an RV park to smell propane leaking somewhere from under my 2013 Solera A. I went and turn off the propane tank to hear a "hushing' sound of the leak somewhere near the tank. Turn off the valve and it stopped. Suspect a leak from a loose hose fitting. Has anyone experienced the same problem? More later as it was to dark to troubleshoot last night and I crawl under to check all hoses today.
CaptDan
Clear Lake, Washington
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Dan
Mix up a soap water solution and paint all the connections. You will have to turn the tanks back on so you have pressure. It will bubble at the leak and you can repair accordingly.
Good Luck
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

I thought there was a thread about the regulator failing, causing the wooshing sound if you are close by when it goes.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Soap it up and let us know whats leaking. The other poster to this thread mentioned a seperate thread where some of the regulators were failing. However, that ended up as I recall as NO BIG DEAL by FR.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #5

Soaped it up to find the top (Cheap) Regulator has the leak. Made several phone calls to RV Direct/Local Forest River Dealer and StarRv "Diamond Extended Warranty" (Interstate) to see if I was covered under my insurance and I am. Made an appointment to have work done Monday on an in/out basis. Lucky I am on a full hook-up with electric. More later as I try my insurance for the first time. Thanks for the responses.
CaptDan
RV Park Clear Lake, Washington
PS: Planning on replacing both regulators.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Soap it up and let us know whats leaking. The other poster to this thread mentioned a seperate thread where some of the regulators were failing. However, that ended up as I recall as NO BIG DEAL by FR.
I would disagree...a faulty or failing regulator that allows propane to leak or drains the tank in one big release is a "big deal" at any time especially so if there is an ignition source near by. FR may not be too concerned because it has not been reported by very many owners to date. If I remember correctly FR was looking into whether of not the supplier of the regulator was having QA issues. I agree the most likely culprit is a loose fitting but we owners have put out all possibilities in the past (from experience or what we have heard/read) to cover the bases.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
I would disagree...a faulty or failing regulator that allows propane to leak or drains the tank in one big release is a "big deal" at any time especially so if there is an ignition source near by. FR may not be too concerned because it has not been reported by very many owners to date. If I remember correctly FR was looking into whether of not the supplier of the regulator was having QA issues. I agree the most likely culprit is a loose fitting but we owners have put out all possibilities in the past (from experience or what we have heard/read) to cover the bases.
The thread dealt with failure of LP regulators themselves as I recall, in the Solera section of this forum. You have to take into account that you're reading the posts of members only. One might pose the notion that more failures could possibly occur, by owners that are not aware of this forum. If that has merit, than the failure issue would only increase, but the lack of factual data, leaves it in the unknown realm.

In any event, leaking LP gas when in an enviroment to accumulate, with possible ignition, is something to discuss at any rate.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

I did have to replace a regulator on our new 2014 Solera. It was fine when we first picked the unit up at the dealers and started leaking a couple of days later. Did not drain the tank quickly but was a slower leak and would have taken several hours to drain. Was very glad no open flame around. Replaced the regulator and all seems fine now.
Good Luck
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
NO BIG DEAL by FR- After being a member of this forum for several years, "IN MY OPINION," three Safety issues via blogs come to mind: Double Blowout (Tire Stems problems), Hellwig 7254 Rear Sway Bar (Driving Controllability) and Propane Leaks (faulty or failing regulator). All of which we members that own a Solera have come close to experiencing at one time or another. I still like my Solera and have dealt with all these issues. Something FR needs to look at through QA. Good Luck and Happy Travels.
Respectfully to All,
CaptDan
Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Double blowout has been addressed and I have explained in detail what caused it and a course of action. None of the Solera's over the past 3-4 years have been getting stainless steel braided extensions.

Rear Sway Bar: I explained in the sway bar thread that we can't just install it, we must get blessing from Mercedes. They have not signed off at this time. No other mfg installs a helwig bar on their Sprinter chassis.

Propane-the issues that we have seen have been very random. Every propane system is tested before it leaves the plant and when it arrives at the dealer.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

Guess I'm just very unlucky as well...

I've also had to replace my regulators on my 2013 Solera. Only one was leaking but I replaced both since I had it apart. Slow leak at first as I thought it was just the refrigerator using lots of propane. Had it refilled and then it really started leaking as it went through a whole tank in just a few days!
No problems after replacing the defective regulators with new ones.
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
I've also had to replace my regulators on my 2013 Solera. Only one was leaking but I replaced both since I had it apart. Slow leak at first as I thought it was just the refrigerator using lots of propane. Had it refilled and then it really started leaking as it went through a whole tank in just a few days!
No problems after replacing the defective regulators with new ones.
I have asked before, if more information can be reported here, but could you give us more detail. As in, what part showed the leak, brand you switched to, etc.

All this information becomes useful data to all of us users to best determine; what to look for, brands of replace as well as brand of part failure, etc. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

I agree with Still Kickin...the more information we have the better prepared we will be if/when it happens to us.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #14

Going to have to look at mine thought I smelled something last time I turned it on.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
I have asked before, if more information can be reported here, but could you give us more detail. As in, what part showed the leak, brand you switched to, etc.

All this information becomes useful data to all of us users to best determine; what to look for, brands of replace as well as brand of part failure, etc. Thank you.
One of the regulators on the side of the propane tank was leaking through some sort of exhaust vent on the side of it. They have plastic covers over the top of them that must be removed to provide access. Unfortunately I don't know the brand of the original regulators as I threw them away after I replaced them. They are the ones that came stock on a 2013 Solera SLED. I also don't know the brand of the replacements and would need to take it back apart to find out (they are under the plastic covers). They were the only ones available that matched the originals at my local Camping World if that helps. Like I said no problems after replacement but one of the originals was most certainly defective as it was only the 3rd time the tank had been filled. I would of tried to make a warranty claim but it wasn't worth the hassle for $50 worth of parts and a 30 minutes of work.
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
One of the regulators on the side of the propane tank was leaking through some sort of exhaust vent on the side of it. They have plastic covers over the top of them that must be removed to provide access. Unfortunately I don't know the brand of the original regulators as I threw them away after I replaced them. They are the ones that came stock on a 2013 Solera SLED. I also don't know the brand of the replacements and would need to take it back apart to find out (they are under the plastic covers). They were the only ones available that matched the originals at my local Camping World if that helps. Like I said no problems after replacement but one of the originals was most certainly defective as it was only the 3rd time the tank had been filled. I would of tried to make a warranty claim but it wasn't worth the hassle for $50 worth of parts and a 30 minutes of work.
Contact FR send them the receipts with explanation and you would be surprised how courteous they are, assuming your in warranty period.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #17

You can add our 2013 S to the list of failed propane regulators. Went out to pre-flight our Solera prior to a long trip and found an empty tank that I just had filled (less than a week ago). I believe that's 4 out of 7 owner posters of this thread that have had this happen to them...I know a small sample but that's 57%...just saying.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Commercial Member

57% of posters. But only 0.1% of the 3400 units that we shipped last year?

I'm not saying there aren't more that maybe have not posted...but you rarely see someone posting that their regulator is working great. Why post then?

I have talked to warranty and they are not seeing an increase or high percentage of failures. I have asked them to monitor it for any anomalies.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
57% of posters. But only 0.1% of the 3400 units that we shipped last year?

I'm not saying there aren't more that maybe have not posted...but you rarely see someone posting that their regulator is working great. Why post then?

I have talked to warranty and they are not seeing an increase or high percentage of failures. I have asked them to monitor it for any anomalies.

You did not cover my bad regulator because I just found out that it was bad after a year and 'out of warranty'. Used one side tank.... which only lasted me one year, when my other/older camping unit would have lasted me 2.5-3 years to use out.... Do you even put propane in these things at the factory?

Switched over while camping after one tank ran out.... no issues???? none that I could tell until the next day when the wind had settled done... propane smell? sure is.... one of your fine fellows had cross threaded the hose into the regulator... took a wrench to take it out and it snapped off. The leak was not at the threads...., but into the twisted brass connector. the installer had put such a tork on it that it deformed and caused a seam to open up in the connector. Regulator now junk because of a bad/rushed installation.

You want my address so you can send me 56.00 for the regulator. Labor, (my own) free of charge.

I am sure that you are a very nice guy, but don't sugar coat some of your subpar products. When I took that factory installed regulator to an RV center, the salesman said that was one of the most 'cheapest' (Quality) on the market.

thank-you for your time.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Commercial Member

I'm not sure, anywhere in my post that I sugar coated anything. I stated that there may be more that are not posting. I was simply saying that using the small sample of posters is not the most accurate gauge of failure rate (poster showing 57% failure).

Also, this is a Solera sub-forum, I only used our numbers (motorized, my division). I have zero input on the trailer side of things and have no idea what they are using. yes, it is all Forest River, but we run each division independently. I really have no response because I know nothing about the Salem side of things

Tags
leak, propane