Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
P47

Propane thru tunnels

Recent comment said propane tank shut off is allowed thru Chesapeke Tunnel . When I approached tunnel at Mobile Alabama sign said HAZARDOUS cargo ,propane prohibited ! I had to take the bridge ! Are propane tanks allowed if shut off ?
P47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
DDC

I would not have considered the propane in my RV as cargo, what if the truck was powered by propane, gasoline is hazardous too, sign, clear as mud.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Always Learning

It depends on the tunnel. Some allow it. Some allow it, but it has to be off. Others don't allow it.

Around Baltimore are 2 tunnels and, about 15 miles extra, a bridge. The tunnels don't allow propane in the quantities that RVs hold- you have to take the bridge. I believe that FRF member Herk/Lou has been cited for it there.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47 View Post
Recent comment said propane tank shut off is allowed thru Chesapeke Tunnel . When I approached tunnel at Mobile Alabama sign said HAZARDOUS cargo ,propane prohibited ! I had to take the bridge ! Are propane tanks allowed if shut off ?

Been through that tunnel several times. The sign does not mean RVs and the propane tanks on them. Take the tunnel when it is an easier route and not the bridges. The tunnel is not that long. The sign is for Semi- Haulers with Hazardous cargo trailers.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47 View Post
When I approached tunnel at Mobile Alabama sign said HAZARDOUS cargo ,propane prohibited !
Circling back to this one, it might be worth contacting the Alabama state's highway administration for clarification.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Been through that tunnel several times. The sign does not mean RVs and the propane tanks on them. Take the tunnel when it is an easier route and not the bridges. The tunnel is not that long. The sign is for Semi- Haulers with Hazardous cargo trailers.
This is incorrect. Both Baltimore tunnels limit propane to max 10 lbs per container. See Below. If you have 20lb tanks you will be stopped and then it is up to you to prove there is lass than 10 lbs in them. Unless they are all empty might easily eat up any time savings.

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
X2. Drive that tunnel like you own it. If you watch, there are hundreds of RV's using the tunnel, every day in summer.

Maybe they mean transporting in excess of 100 lbs. of propane (10x10), dynomite, fresh out after the 4th, as for the other stuff, unless you can buy it at wally world, I have no idea on that stuff.

See you on the otherside. Seriously, if they meant RV's, they would hopefully post signage well in advance to allow safe exit to Alt. route. Professional drivers, who carry such cargo, know what tunnels are acceptable, and plan their route well in advance. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Circling back to this one, it might be worth contacting the Alabama state's highway administration for clarification.
Alabama @ AARoads - U.S. Highway 98 Westbound - Mobile County

speaks about commercial vehicles in tunnel at Moblile.

The tunnel in Mobile, Al - iRV2 Forums

Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This is incorrect. Both Baltimore tunnels limit propane to max 10 lbs per container. See Below. If you have 20lb tanks you will be stopped and then it is up to you to prove there is lass than 10 lbs in them. Unless they are all empty might easily eat up any time savings.

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
I am speaking about about Alabama. Mobile Alabama is not the same as in Maryland Baltimore..

Old 07-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:

Well thats about as clear as mud, 10 lbs per container not over 10 containers allowed which in my simple math is 100 lbs. So if you can carry 2 containers with 40 lbs your still under the 100 lb restriction. Now that's RED TAPE. Not saying your wrong but kinda of stupid.....Goverment..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
To each his own, but if it were me- I'd still rather prefer an actual report from the state and not a 3rd party.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:

That was my fault. I think I confused things with the reference to the Baltimore tunnels. The OP was talking about a tunnel in Mobile, AL.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
That was my fault. I think I confused things with the reference to the Baltimore tunnels. The OP was talking about a tunnel in Mobile, AL.
Mine two. I quoted wrong post. And yes the rules make no sense, but then neither do many rules. My favorite one is the signs near schools that say "SCHOOL" Drug Free Zone.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
B47

Quote:

The code says "...vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds ...".

Not ever using any tunnel pulling my RV,are commercial propane tankers expressly prohibited from using any tunnels?

With out defining "vehicles" that could mean semi trucks pulling tankers full of propane which surely contain more than 100 pounds of propane would be prohibited from using the tunnel (s).

The way I read the code is that I would be legal carrying 90 pounds in 9 ten pound containers.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #15

I know in Virginia going into any tunnel, they have a check point that you have to stop at, and they check to make sure your tank is shut off, then you can enter. As long as you shut the valve they will let you through, including the Norfolk and Chesapeake Bay. Commercial transports are not allowed, with hazmat material. I have been through most tunnels here and they all have a check point manned 24/7.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #16

Flybob-An off the topic comment about the posted school free drug zones you speak of-seems an odd sign but when posted if a person is caught selling within the zone the penalty is much harsher and can turn a misdemeanor into a felony
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

I use the portable RV Rand McNally GPS, and after you enter all the specs for your unit, it will route you around areas where it's not legal to carry propane. Just a thought...
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
To each his own, but if it were me- I'd still rather prefer an actual report from the state and not a 3rd party.
X 248 1/3!!!
"I read it on a forum" won't get you out of a ticket! Nor will "Hundreds of RV's go thru them daily"

Its too easy to find out the facts or take an alternate route!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:36 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
X2. Drive that tunnel like you own it. If you watch, there are hundreds of RV's using the tunnel, every day in summer.

Maybe they mean transporting in excess of 100 lbs. of propane (10x10), dynomite, fresh out after the 4th, as for the other stuff, unless you can buy it at wally world, I have no idea on that stuff.

See you on the otherside. Seriously, if they meant RV's, they would hopefully post signage well in advance to allow safe exit to Alt. route. Professional drivers, who carry such cargo, know what tunnels are acceptable, and plan their route well in advance. Just sayin'
Such signs exist; well in advance. DW pointed them out several times.
I, of course, knew they could not mean RV tanks.

After I paid my toll, the Baltimore I-95 tunnel toll taker just pointed at the state trooper's car on the side of the road and said, "Pull over there as that gentleman would like to talk to you." A few hundred bucks later (and the DW laughing her head off) I was a LOT smarter about propane signage.

You MUST stop at the Chesapeake toll plaza and confirm with the toll taker that your tanks are OFF and you have no more than 2 containers with 60 pounds in them. Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- GAS REGULATIONS
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

I think given the situation the signs do the best job they can of telling people what's prohibited. You're driving past them at 60 or 70 miles an hour and you have what 10 seconds to read the sign? No way they could put everything on the sign to disambiguate every possible scenario and the average driver still have time to read it.

My guess is the signs focus on commercial vehicles because most of the effected traffic is going to be commecial vehicles vs. RV's.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane