Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

pros and cons of full body paint

We are in the process of purchasing a new 2400S Sunseeker and would like to know if the full body paint is worth the additional cost. Thanks!
Rick and Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Cara View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a new 2400S Sunseeker and would like to know if the full body paint is worth the additional cost. Thanks!
On my 2nd full paint scheme and frankly it makes the coach appear enormously better, richer and most important finished. Forget the cost, it's only a profit center for them anyway. Negotiate total cost to you- otherwise they'll fragment your arguments.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

Ours is almost 3 and it still looks brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Always Learning

I would guess a possible con is that colors soak in heat more than plain white. But, I'm not sure I'd let that be enough to dissuade me from it- they just look sharp.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

I really looked at the full body paint, but the DW and I could not get the look that we wanted to go with the tuxedo black Ford. The money was not a determent. They sure look good!
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
I would say the bottom line is -THERE ARE NO PROS OR CONS, IF YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
'79 Bonneville

we just traded in a full body and ordered white - main reason is touch-up is a lot easier with white. The colors change a little with age and white does not. Also, I think the full body reminds me of Nike and is a bit overdone - too "swoopy". I'm an engineer and my tastes lean toward simplicity.

But if you like full body enough to justify the cost, just do it. Consider the value of every time you feel good about the look of it worth an estimated amount of money an multiply that by the estimated number of times you will appreciate it - then just do the math. If the total is worth more than the cost, it's a good investment.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Paint

no cons except cost if that's not a problem but full body paint I didn't on my last on and regret it every time I see a pretty one with the f b p
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #9

Not sure if the white has decals or paint but, if decals, for sure they will peel and fade eventually. If the full paint is maintained, it'll last a long, long, time.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:43 PM   #10

We were afraid the decals would pull off. That is our main concern.
Rick and Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Retired

Love it but a hassle

We love the looks of our full body paint but, it is nothing like paint on cars and trucks.It chips very easy and we are constantly having to touch it up We are very careful but the paint chips to easy.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #12

I am for the full body paint but as others have stated; it's a bit of a bugger on the maintenance side especially for the darker colors like ours. Chips and touch-ups are a constant challenge to keep that pretty appearance. It's not like cars where you can find touch-up paint although most units come with an assortment of the colors in touch-up bottles but those dry out pretty quick. The other thing with a painted unit is nearly everything is painted which helps guard against UV breakdown but then if you have to replace anything (outside shower, water heater panel or the refrigerator intake air panel), these are all painted on the unit so matching the paint and design will require automotive painter.
Other than that, I much prefer the full paint.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
We were afraid the decals would pull off. That is our main concern.
Then, if you can afford it, go with full body paint, unless you plan on trading every few years. We even went to the trouble and expense of buying an extra set of decals (before they went out of style), but found it difficult to remove and replace.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #14

Dark body paint, especially black in FL, makes the interior way too hot
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #15

Our first trailer had decals and within two years, the decals began peeling. The trailer was kept under a steel roof. Our 2013 Georgetown XL has full body paint and looks terrific. The only downside I can see is having to wax and wash more frequently, but I'm OCD. lol. When we bought the Motor home I contacted the company (Forest River) and found out what the codes of the paint were and what year/Auto they came out on. For example, one color was Lexus metallic black and this allows me to inform the body shop or anyone dealing with the colors what they are. Very helpful with a large motor home. We have already had to use the codes when a freak storm happened and a large tree branch came down and did a small amount of damage to the side of the motor home.
Bubbamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbamace View Post
Our first trailer had decals and within two years, the decals began peeling. The trailer was kept under a steel roof. Our 2013 Georgetown XL has full body paint and looks terrific. The only downside I can see is having to wax and wash more frequently, but I'm OCD. lol. When we bought the Motor home I contacted the company (Forest River) and found out what the codes of the paint were and what year/Auto they came out on. For example, one color was Lexus metallic black and this allows me to inform the body shop or anyone dealing with the colors what they are. Very helpful with a large motor home. We have already had to use the codes when a freak storm happened and a large tree branch came down and did a small amount of damage to the side of the motor home.

Good advice on getting the paint codes. Thanks! Know what you mean on washing/waxing/washing/waxing . . . But if you want it to shine and stay new looking, that's what you do!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #17

My two previous MHs were white, my present (3rd and hopefully last) MH has the full body paint. Some pros and cons;
1) Full Body Paint (FBP) looks richer
2) FBP chips easier - and you'll need at least 3 different touch up paint colors
3) FBP actually is harder to keep clean, especially the black areas
4) White seems to yellow with age, although with regular care this may not be the case
5) "Swirling" more evident on FBP
6) We do a lot of "in the woods" camping, the FBP unit blends in nicely
7) In some climates, FBP is an issue in the unit getting hotter as it absorbs the sunlight (not a problem in the cloudy Northeast however - lol)
8) FBP is pricey

With all said and done, if I were to get another MH, I would go again with the FBP basically for item #6 above. All personal preference though as someone mentioned in an earlier post.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #18

Here's a couple issues with full body paint which I know from experience:
There are vinyl channel strips on each side of the Solera that run from the front edge of the upper bunk and then all the way down the front corners, just behind the passenger and driver doors. It's there to hide rivets. There are two problems with this, first, paint will not stick to vinyl (at least not for very long), and secondly, over time, the vinyl will contract as it "out-gasses", which makes the paint pop right off! It will also do this in extremes of heat or cold. The vinyl is flexible, the paint is not. At best, if the paint is still on it, the swooshy paint lines will begin to not match up as the vinyl shrinks.
My vinyl would not stay in place on either side where the 90 degree bend is due to shrinkage, so had to put 2 aluminum screws in each side, which cracked paint off. If I want or need to change the vinyl out, it won't match the paint pattern.
Also, when accessing the water heater, be aware of 2 things: the access door is NOT hinged! Don't let it fall off when opening since that can mess up the paint. And be careful with the lock tab for the heater door, as it will scrape paint off when twisting it open or shut.
There are some other plastic things that are painted, like the cap on the tank flush that's starting to peel off. BTW, I only have 3300 miles so far on my unit and store it in climate control.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 AM   #19
Needs Help

I'm happy with my white Solera.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #20

Like the painted, but very happy with my white 24R. Keep it and the decals clean and waxed with a polymer finish and it looks great. Probably wax more than I need to but want the protection.