Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Pro's & Con's on a RV Cover for the Solera

I have been thinking about covering my 2013 Solera when I return it to storage this year. I would appreciate any ideas/brands/price/product/experience/purchase info and whether it is worth it. Thanks in advance.

CaptDan

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

I've have had an ADCO cover for the last three winters and will use it again this season. Only thing I dislike about it is trying to get into the coach with the cover on. It isn't the easiest thing because of the height of the coach trying to get the zippers undone high enough to clear the door. But I don't know how well other covers are for getting into either?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

I also have the ADCO and think is it is a nice enough cover. It came with little 'socks' that cover the 4 downspouts but they didn't prevent them from ripping through the cover. I stitched up the rips and now use tennis balls that have a hole cut in them to cover the spouts.
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Can you use painter's extention pole... It can be as long as 12 ft and comes with varying xontraption at the tip that you can purchase.
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

I bought a Goldline cover which so far has been great, been using it about 4 months. Can't think of any downside, reasonable price and well constructed. It's worth it for me because I live in FL and a cover isn't an option. I also use the tennis balls and cover the TV antenna with a towel.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Probably could use the painter pole on the zippers, I even seen a deal some where, where some one use tennis balls to throw over the rig with strings attached to unzip the cover.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

I bought an Adco cover for my Solera last year and never even tried it as I only stored and winterized it for a couple of months. I was living in Sierras at 7,000 ft. I make frequent runs to Los Angeles to visit family. Approximately how long does it take and how difficult would this be for a very handy single female to try and cover my Solera? Ps- now living at only 4,700 ft. elev. but it still can get to 10 degrees below on occasion.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

I lived in CA for a number of years, don't remember it snowing? Besides I heard CA is in a drought? Kidding aside the hardest part is getting it up on the roof and figuring out which way is the front and back of the cover.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

That's the beauty of the Eastern Sierra, Ca. You can get below the snow line and cold weather in 10-20 min. unlike the northern states. Yes, the lakes are all horribly dry, the lowest in over 30 yrs. I am a 5'-9" strong female but wondering if it's worth the hassle & heavy weight to attempt?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

I've had two ADCO covers and was lucky to get two winters out of them here in Ohio. ADCO replaced one but they still Just don't seem to last. Anyone have better luck with other brands?

Forester 2451s
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I bought an Adco cover for my Solera last year and never even tried it as I only stored and winterized it for a couple of months. I was living in Sierras at 7,000 ft. I make frequent runs to Los Angeles to visit family. Approximately how long does it take and how difficult would this be for a very handy single female to try and cover my Solera? Ps- now living at only 4,700 ft. elev. but it still can get to 10 degrees below on occasion.
I was surprised at how easily my cover went on. When new I took the cover out of the box and laid it out on the driveway. I folded the sides into the center and then folded in the sides of the top toward the center until it was about 4' across and about 45' long. I rolled it up so that I could start unrolling it on the RV roof starting at the front. I made sure it was right side up and I could drop the sides as I went back. I covered all my rain gutters. To get it on the roof I put it in my TV bed and backed up to the RV. It was in a big roll and tied with a rope. I lifted and pushed and a friend was on the roof and pulled it on up with the rope. He untied it and walked along the roof unrolling it and dropping the sides. After he was done we made sure it was centered and then hooked and tightened all the straps. Preparation took a couple of hours but from lifting it up on the roof to finished was less than 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150118_153725_Ann St.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	88322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_111828_Ann Ave.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	88323   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_111851_Lynn Rd.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	88324   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_112301_Ann Ave.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	88325  
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #12

Bobneal69, Thank you for the advice on installing the cover!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
MCTroy

Anyone find a cover for a V nose? We are storing our windjammer at home this year. It will be outside in the Ohio winter. We are thinking of getting a cover for the roof only. Anyone use those?
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #14

I have used an ADCO cover for the last 3 years. It is very easy to put on and take off, taking less than 20 minutes for either operation. We camp most every weekend and I put it on after every trip. It really helps keep the rig clean, and it is the next best thing to a garage for protection from the elements. Put something on any sharp edges and the cover should last quite a few years. I use 2 soccer balls for endcaps on my rear bumper and a tennis ball on a knob on the topper that sticks up when the slide out is pulled in.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #15

Thanks, Great info!

Tags
cover, solera