Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Stay Classy San Diego

Question About the In-Dash Radio/DVD Player

Wanted to play a dvd today - but could only do it with the key turned to accessory. Then it played on both the unit and the tv in the living area. Is there a way to do this so the ignition isn't turned to acc? Surround sound worked great btw.
Thanks for any help!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

What brand radio do you have? Mine is a MB and sometimes the radio will work with the ignition off....there is a complete manual just for this radio.
Others on this forum have brands other than this...

Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Wanted to play a dvd today - but could only do it with the key turned to accessory. Then it played on both the unit and the tv in the living area. Is there a way to do this so the ignition isn't turned to acc? Surround sound worked great btw.
Thanks for any help!

suggest you read the magnadyne thread. also read the post of mr clemens from
forest river. i believe this issue has already been adressed
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Merry - My 2012 Solera has the Magnadyne M-4 LCD. It is wired to work when the vehicle is turned off - assuming the "House" battery is turned on. Forest River has a small circuit in the 'switched 12 volt' line to the radio to allow this without allowing feedback from the chassis battery to the house battery (basically diodes in each 12 Volt switched feed wire). This allows running the Magnadyne in any mode while camping - but does require manually turning it off (it does not go off with the ignition when the house battery is turned on).
You might PM JAMiller45 (he is Forest River Type "C" Electrical Engineer) as your unit is newer, is the "M" model, and may be wired differently.
By the way - really enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm! Keep them coming!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Merry - My 2012 Solera has the Magnadyne M-4 LCD. It is wired to work when the vehicle is turned off - assuming the "House" battery is turned on. Forest River has a small circuit in the 'switched 12 volt' line to the radio to allow this without allowing feedback from the chassis battery to the house battery (basically diodes in each 12 Volt switched feed wire). This allows running the Magnadyne in any mode while camping - but does require manually turning it off (it does not go off with the ignition when the house battery is turned on).
You might PM JAMiller45 (he is Forest River Type "C" Electrical Engineer) as your unit is newer, is the "M" model, and may be wired differently.
By the way - really enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm! Keep them coming!
your answer does confuse me . turn what off. in other words the key is out of the ignition. then what do you do
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Key is out of the ignition - what I termed "vehicle is turned off" - "house" battery is turned on - means the main switch in the stairwell is in the "on" position - then I just press the "On/Off/Nav" button on the Magnadyne - upper left corner of the Magnadyne just to the right of the up/down volume controls - and the Magnadyne turns on.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Key is out of the ignition - what I termed "vehicle is turned off" - "house" battery is turned on - means the main switch in the stairwell is in the "on" position - then I just press the "On/Off/Nav" button on the Magnadyne - upper left corner of the Magnadyne just to the right of the up/down volume controls - and the Magnadyne turns on.
thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Thanks for any help!
That used to be the only way that it worked...as others have mentioned we rewired it as a running change to the house batteries.

Make sure your battery disconnect (in the stairwell) is not turned on (or off, I can never remember) Anyway, make sure you have 12v lights working. If the radio does not turn on at that point (pushing the power button) it may have been built before the wiring change.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Note that the DVD picture will not appear on the in dash display unless the parking brake is engaged but will appear on the TV.

(If you located the orange wire and cut it off the parking brake and attached it to ground the "safety " feature would be defeated) .
Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Note that the DVD picture will not appear on the in dash display unless the parking brake is engaged but will appear on the TV.

(If you located the orange wire and cut it off the parking brake and attached it to ground the "safety " feature would be defeated) .
Note: It will not pass inspection like this. Also watching TV while driving is only marginally safer than typing up your resume while driving.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote