Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Stay Classy San Diego

Question About the In-Dash Radio/DVD Player

Wanted to play a dvd today - but could only do it with the key turned to accessory. Then it played on both the unit and the tv in the living area. Is there a way to do this so the ignition isn't turned to acc? Surround sound worked great btw.
Thanks for any help!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

What brand radio do you have? Mine is a MB and sometimes the radio will work with the ignition off....there is a complete manual just for this radio.
Others on this forum have brands other than this...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Wanted to play a dvd today - but could only do it with the key turned to accessory. Then it played on both the unit and the tv in the living area. Is there a way to do this so the ignition isn't turned to acc? Surround sound worked great btw.
Thanks for any help!

suggest you read the magnadyne thread. also read the post of mr clemens from
forest river. i believe this issue has already been adressed
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Merry - My 2012 Solera has the Magnadyne M-4 LCD. It is wired to work when the vehicle is turned off - assuming the "House" battery is turned on. Forest River has a small circuit in the 'switched 12 volt' line to the radio to allow this without allowing feedback from the chassis battery to the house battery (basically diodes in each 12 Volt switched feed wire). This allows running the Magnadyne in any mode while camping - but does require manually turning it off (it does not go off with the ignition when the house battery is turned on).
You might PM JAMiller45 (he is Forest River Type "C" Electrical Engineer) as your unit is newer, is the "M" model, and may be wired differently.
By the way - really enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm! Keep them coming!
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Merry - My 2012 Solera has the Magnadyne M-4 LCD. It is wired to work when the vehicle is turned off - assuming the "House" battery is turned on. Forest River has a small circuit in the 'switched 12 volt' line to the radio to allow this without allowing feedback from the chassis battery to the house battery (basically diodes in each 12 Volt switched feed wire). This allows running the Magnadyne in any mode while camping - but does require manually turning it off (it does not go off with the ignition when the house battery is turned on).
You might PM JAMiller45 (he is Forest River Type "C" Electrical Engineer) as your unit is newer, is the "M" model, and may be wired differently.
By the way - really enjoy your posts and your enthusiasm! Keep them coming!
your answer does confuse me . turn what off. in other words the key is out of the ignition. then what do you do
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Key is out of the ignition - what I termed "vehicle is turned off" - "house" battery is turned on - means the main switch in the stairwell is in the "on" position - then I just press the "On/Off/Nav" button on the Magnadyne - upper left corner of the Magnadyne just to the right of the up/down volume controls - and the Magnadyne turns on.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Key is out of the ignition - what I termed "vehicle is turned off" - "house" battery is turned on - means the main switch in the stairwell is in the "on" position - then I just press the "On/Off/Nav" button on the Magnadyne - upper left corner of the Magnadyne just to the right of the up/down volume controls - and the Magnadyne turns on.
thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks for any help!
That used to be the only way that it worked...as others have mentioned we rewired it as a running change to the house batteries.

Make sure your battery disconnect (in the stairwell) is not turned on (or off, I can never remember) Anyway, make sure you have 12v lights working. If the radio does not turn on at that point (pushing the power button) it may have been built before the wiring change.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

Note that the DVD picture will not appear on the in dash display unless the parking brake is engaged but will appear on the TV.

(If you located the orange wire and cut it off the parking brake and attached it to ground the "safety " feature would be defeated) .
Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Note that the DVD picture will not appear on the in dash display unless the parking brake is engaged but will appear on the TV.

(If you located the orange wire and cut it off the parking brake and attached it to ground the "safety " feature would be defeated) .
Note: It will not pass inspection like this. Also watching TV while driving is only marginally safer than typing up your resume while driving.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Stay Classy San Diego

Thanks, I do have the Magnadyne! Here is a picture of the switch in the stairwell

I haven't touched it since the PDI. So it's been in the ON position. Tomorrow I'll try it in the OFF position and see if that works. But I'm thinking, from your explanations, that it won't. It should have the new wiring - the tv is 12v which surprised me. Does the coach need to be unplugged for the batteries to kick in? I already know the radio has issues as the PDI tech has trouble and went ahead and ordered a new one but some functions work and some don't. And I spoke too soon about the surround sound - I found a huge speaker in a cabinet that wasn't on but I know that JamesR has a topic about this already so I will go read that. I will also find the Magnadyne thread that GerryM mentioned.
Again, thank you all for your help! I am stumbling through this thanks to you all.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Magnadyne thread is in "General Tech and Repair / Appliances and Electronics". Your stairwell switch is in the correct position for the Magnadyne to work with the key out of the ignition with the "new wiring". Can't help on the "huge speaker in a cabinet" (suspect the sub-woofer) question - my "S" doesn't have that option - but the JamesR thread (if it is the one I remember) is quite comprehensive.
Good Luck -
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Stay Classy San Diego

I think it is the sub-woofer as it seems to be the same as the one in JamesR's photo. I will read both those threads and see if I can figure it out. As a last resort I'll drag out the manual and read that. Which I probably should have done first...but it gets all technical and my eyes glaze over and then I would just give up
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
I think it is the sub-woofer as it seems to be the same as the one in JamesR's photo. I will read both those threads and see if I can figure it out. As a last resort I'll drag out the manual and read that. Which I probably should have done first...but it gets all technical and my eyes glaze over and then I would just give up

the magnadyne is a marvel but it is complicated
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Here is the quick start guide. I uploaded the manual on here somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Reference M4-LCD.pdf (1.42 MB, 100 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Stay Classy San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Here is the quick start guide. I uploaded the manual on here somewhere.
Ooohh pretty pictures!! That's just what I need, thank you!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
2012 Solera

Merry - Looks like you have the attention of the experts at Forest River (bclemens and jmiller45). You did say the stairwell switch has always been "on". Okay if your unit is regularly being used or plugged in - if you store it for even a few days unplugged, important to turn this switch "off" - otherwise parasitic loads can drain your house batteries pretty quickly. You can monitor the charge of the house batteries from the monitor panel.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
Stay Classy San Diego

Quote:
Merry - Looks like you have the attention of the experts at Forest River (bclemens and jmiller45). You did say the stairwell switch has always been "on". Okay if your unit is regularly being used or plugged in - if you store it for even a few days unplugged, important to turn this switch "off" - otherwise parasitic loads can drain your house batteries pretty quickly. You can monitor the charge of the house batteries from the monitor panel.
Ok I will remember this. If I unplug it, I will make sure I switch that to OFF. Unless I'm dry camping, then I'll leave it on.

I'm going to have the service dept wire that up when they replace the Magnadyne. Hopefully that will be easy for them.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Coachmen Adrenaline

Any unit built after January 1, 2012 is certain to be wired the new way. The radio gets its constant or memory power from the bcc on the side of the stepwell. The fuse for it is the second one from the top on the right side. It should have a 15 amp fuse in that slot and there should also be a BLUE wire connected to the side of the fuse location. By turning the battery disconnect switch to the ON position, you are essentially doing the same thing as turning the key to ACC, in the eyes of the radio. It should turn on if either of those 2 conditions are met. The big speaker you see is indeed a subwoofer. you can change its loudness within the EQ settings page on the radio itself. The subwoofer should already be set to the correct frequency and gain settings when it leaves the factory. If there is something I have missed, please feel free to contact me here or through a PM.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #20

Merry

I am soooo, glad that you brought this up. I couldn't figure out how to play a DVD on my TV when I was out with it last month. After your posting I took a DVD out to the motor home and I now know how it works.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote