Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

question about the steps

if i park too close to a curb, is there a safety cutoff to prevent famage to the steps? spent the night parked outside our son's house and used the cab doors out of paranoia.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

The steps are designed to stop when they encounter resistance.

I guess there could be damage if the they bottom on the curb before stopping but in most cases they just run into the curb and stop.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

You could cut into the screen door sensor switch and put an inline toggle to deactivate it. Saw one mod where the owner had a simple toggle like Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Toggle Switch - SPST On/Off Type: Electronics this, allowing you to deactivate the auto mode. But, don't fall in the dark, if you do make that mod.

One more "look out for". Make sure it retracts before flight.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Needs Help

I met a guy that removed his to save weight. I'm considering that.
Living_The_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_The_Dream View Post
I met a guy that removed his to save weight. I'm considering that.
I think he stopped short! He should have removed the safty handrails too, and saved even more weight.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #6

The clearance below the steps is poor, they are too close to the ground. The design should have integrated the steps into the body of the MH as it is with many other products. This exposure is what likely caused my steps (I received my unit in Dec 2013) to seize up solid after only a few months of use most probably caused by water and road salt kicked up from the front wheels.

The steps are quite heavy, a lighter product would be more suitable for the Solera.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

I've had my 2012 Solera S since purchasing new in March 2012. My electric step stopped working after about one year of driving the Siskyous in the winter and ocean-front camping along the Washington coast. (I like the label which said "Do Not Lubricate" - LOL) Took to RV dealer and learned step was rusted out. Dealer said it should have been lubricated. Anyway, I now I have a manual pull-out step; I am happy; and, will never have same costly problem again. Other than the step and the Magnadyne radio, which totally sucks and does not receive any AM/FM stations unless you're right near the transmit tower, I am totally pleased with my 2012 Solera S which I purchased with the sofa option and entertainment center. No Magnadyne dealers or service centers anywhere near Seattle otherwise I would have given them back their worthless radio. I did have a tech check the antenna connection which was fine, and the radio had decent distant reception when new, but it just started humming one day and the good reception went away. So, I keep my Sirius XM radio plugged in and my little dash mount antenna handy and listen to great tunes and keep on trucking. For me and my collie dog "Max", the Solera is a great little motorhome. It is just perfect for 1 or 2 persons and a dog. Thank you, B Clemans and Forest River.
l10222002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
The clearance below the steps is poor, they are too close to the ground. The design should have integrated the steps into the body of the MH as it is with many other products. This exposure is what likely caused my steps (I received my unit in Dec 2013) to seize up solid after only a few months of use most probably caused by water and road salt kicked up from the front wheels.

The steps are quite heavy, a lighter product would be more suitable for the Solera.
Lol...I've said this before, I hear Adrian's voice from Rocky "You can't win!"

We'd love to integrate the step on the solera, but the deck height (chassis) height is higher than the Ford/Chevy stuff. having said that, I get people all the time that complain about the integrated step still. Asking why there is not a power step and could we add a power step under the integrated step because the integrated step is too high.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote