Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Question For Joshua Cavitt Re Solera Coach Batteries

Hi Joshua,

I have been trying to find out what FR uses as their Battery Supplier. I have a 2016 Solera 24 R (FR Serial #33309) and am trying to install solar panels and a Solar Charge Controller. When I checked on my batteries, they do NOT have any labels or other items that tell you who manufactured them, what their capacity is, etc. Also my Forest River delivery slip with all the appliances with Manufacturer & Model and serial numbers does not even have a place for the batteries!

I have tried everything and all local Battery Suppliers.Without information on the batteries, it is NOT POSSIBLE to set up a proper charge profile, that requires manufacturer's recommendations for their specific battery.

Surely Forest River KNOWS who supplies their batteries!

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Pete Junger
sanpedroflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #2

I've been wondering the same thing!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #3

I was under the impression the dealer installs the batteries on new units shipped from FR. Is that incorrect?
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike968 View Post
I was under the impression the dealer installs the batteries on new units shipped from FR. Is that incorrect?
Not according to bclemens. See here.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Class C Representative

The batteries are unbranded but made by Exide. They are distributed by Worldwide Batteries Co.

*EDITED
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
They are unbranded Exide batteries made by Worldwide Batteries CO.
I think Joshua means the (unbranded) batteries are made by Exide and distributed by Worldwide.

While poking around, I looked to see if the current brochures say anything more than "deep cycle coach batteries". They don't. But while looking for this info, I found that the Solera brand has now disappeared from the Forest River web site. Not sure when this happened. RIP ...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Citrus County, Fl.

The Solera is now built under the Forester and Sunseeker brands.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
The batteries are unbranded but made by Exide. They are distributed by Worldwide Batteries Co.
I spoke with Worldwide Battery and they graciously told me the reserve capacity on the 12v Group 27 battery they supply to Forest River is 160 amps.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #9
Class C Representative

This may be a conservative answer but Via our electrical engineer our batteries are group 27 and 100 Amps not 160.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

Just my 2 cents, but I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2300. Replaced the generic unlabeled stock battery early this year. Piece of JUNK. If investing in anything battery dependent, would first replace the stock battery with something you can keep. I use Interstate, which I recommend, but there are a few other decent batteries out there.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Smile Exide Batteries

Sounds like a good way to get info on the batteries and a question for you all. We have a 2014 sunseeker 2650 with two batteries under the step. They are sealed type with a green indicator light and they have never been a problem. My question is, do the tops come off to check the distilled water level or not? I have been on the Exide web site and haven't found anything to say that you can add water.
When our camping season is over, I take the batteries out and into the basement for the storage season and keep them charged.
427creston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

Conversion from RC to 20hr. amp rating is approximately RC divided by 2 +16... so the exide 160 group 27 would be 80+16 or 96amp hours which is about right for a Group27 deep cycle. The 140amp group 24 would then be 70+16 or 86 which strikes me as quite high. I'd suggest using 75 amp hours with a group 24.
Note:
"No accurate RC to Ah conversion exists but the most common formula is RC divided by 2 plus 16. A short method is dividing RC by 1.9. Differences in discharge current produce some inaccuracies." BU-904: How to Measure Capacity – Battery University
@427creston
The battery with the green inspection port window is a sealed lead acid no maintenance dual purpose battery. It is NOT a deep cycle or refillable. It holds more water internally and has an internal valving system designed to return MOST of the boiled off vapor to the "well"...at the expense of battery plate size (life/capacity) They are not a good choice for RV's and should not be left on chargers full time. When you remove them from the coach, suggest you fully charge them then stop charging and check again on state of charge in 2 months.
Expected life would be 2-3 years...more or less depending on how much you cycle them.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #13

Thumbs up Battery life

Thanks Cam , I thought that would be the answer to my question ,so thanks again for that , another question what would be the best type? that will fit in the space of a Sunseeker step, I have used deep cycle in other motor homes but they have had more height .
427creston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Sealed Coach Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427creston View Post
Sounds like a good way to get info on the batteries and a question for you all. We have a 2014 sunseeker 2650 with two batteries under the step. They are sealed type with a green indicator light and they have never been a problem. My question is, do the tops come off to check the distilled water level or not? I have been on the Exide web site and haven't found anything to say that you can add water.
When our camping season is over, I take the batteries out and into the basement for the storage season and keep them charged.
No, the tops DO NOT come off! Sealed batteries have no access to check water level or electrolite charge. The only thing you can do is check the green looking light if it has one.

For what it is worth, I have done a lot of research and talked to several experts. Consensus is that "Flooded Cell Lead" batteries are better than "Sealed" batteries because you can get an accurate reading of the batter charge level by checking the electrolyte using a hydrmeter.

sanpedroflyer
Old 11-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Motorhome Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike968 View Post
I think the RV Coach batteries are installed at the factory. But I will call my dealer and ask.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #16

Batteries

Our 2014 batteries have a 1.5" x 2" label marked D27DC-160.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
This may be a conservative answer but Via our electrical engineer our batteries are group 27 and 100 Amps not 160.
Thanks for the info Josh. I didn't intend to convey that Worldwide Batteries had said the Amp Hour rating was 160A but rather the Reserve Capacity was 160A. I know that sometimes information gets mis-translated in text, so just thought I would clarify. Personally I used 94AH/battery as a calculation from the reserve capacity for a total of 188AH. I subsequently programmed my solar controller to consider the batteries to have a total of 180AH (the settings only allow for 10A increments) to be conservative.

Just as camaraderie pointed out Reserve Capacity and Amp Hours cannot be confused as they are different methods of measuring a battery's performance and capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Conversion from RC to 20hr. amp rating is approximately RC divided by 2 +16... so the exide 160 group 27 would be 80+16 or 96amp hours which is about right for a Group27 deep cycle. The 140amp group 24 would then be 70+16 or 86 which strikes me as quite high. I'd suggest using 75 amp hours with a group 24.
Note:
"No accurate RC to Ah conversion exists but the most common formula is RC divided by 2 plus 16. A short method is dividing RC by 1.9. Differences in discharge current produce some inaccuracies." BU-904: How to Measure Capacity – Battery University[B]
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #18

snapedroflyer, according to my dealer the batteries for our 2015 Flaggstaff 8528RKWS 5th wheel were shipped with the coach but not installed. The dealer installed them. The shipping battery went with the shipper. The installed batteries when we took delivery were group 24 Exide Marine/RV, as near as I could research they were 100 AH. Both batteries failed in the second year. I went through extensive research on what you are going through and settled on a Renogy 100 watt suitcase solar system. We did this for versatility, that being enabling us to move the panels easily into sun. This system also has a controller built onto it. We found that there are millions of opinions on battery types. Most feel AGM batteries are good but if one is diligent with maintaining their batteries a flooded battery is more cost effective in the long run. We decided on Trojan 6 volt gold cart batteries wired in series. Works amazingly well and 3 to 4 times better then the 2 12 volt Excide batteries. If you need more info please PM me.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #19

That's "golf" cart... :-)
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427creston View Post
Thanks Cam , I thought that would be the answer to my question ,so thanks again for that , another question what would be the best type? that will fit in the space of a Sunseeker step, I have used deep cycle in other motor homes but they have had more height .
Well...the batteries under your steps are likely either Group 27 or Group 24 size. If you cant see a 24 or 27 printed on the battery the next choice is to measure your EXISTING batteries to determine what they are and while you are there...see how much extra room in height, width or depth you may have available. The approximate (within 1/4") dimensions of the three most popular sizes of 12V RV deep cycle batteries are:

Group 24...10.75x6.75x9.4"
Group 27...12.5x6.75x9.4"
Group31...13x 6.75 x9.4"

...as you can see... the height should not be a problem and only the length varies. Squeeze in the highest group number deep cycle that will fit in your space...typically...75/90-95/100-105 amp hours respectively in these sizes per battery.

The other choice is a pair of 6V deep cycle batteries wired in series to give you a "single"big 12V battery. Dimensions on these are:
10.3x7.2x10.8" so you need more height & a little more width for these.

If you boondock a lot...a premium deep cycle battery will pay for itself if maintained...Here's the whole Trojan line with complete specs so you can pick what fits for you if you go the premium route.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...SpecGuide.pdfn

If you don't boondock much, a conventional deep cycle will suit fine....I like the Deka brand myself (East Penn MFR.) and they make for a lot of other labels...almost always you will see a model number starting with DP or DC and then the group size if it is a Deka. i.e. DC27 = deep cycle group 27
...avoid the DP dual purpose designation...and with any other batteries if you can't get a 20 hour amp spec...keep walking. Reserve Capacity, CCa amps and any reference on the label to starting is NOT a true deep cycle battery.
Hope this helps.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera, battery