Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Questions concerning Insurance/Extended Warranty/RoadSide Assistance

Wow-What a "Bucket of Worms" going through the Subject. Appreciate your experience in buying since I am a RV newbie and do not know if I need the last two. I pick-up a used 2013 Solera 24S with 1987 miles on the 15th of April and would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #2

I purchased the extended coverage and the roadside was included when we bought new. There are extensive threads on here discussing both. It really is whatever you are comfortable with. If you want to gamble ... do so, if you want to know you are covered if you need it, then get it. Kinda the same as any other "insurance" policy ... some want them ... some don't. I know the above is not much help ... but congrats on your unit!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Always Learning

The RoadSide assistance is good, imo. I've had it forever on my cars with AAA and now am moving to Good Sams because they cover all of my vehicles and are RV-specialized.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Always Learning

Insurance is good, too, of course. Right now, mine is a rider on my auto insurance, but I'd like to get a dedicated RV plan for it. Just so that I have better coverage if/when it's sitting in a campground and something happens.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Always Learning

And... extended warranties. There are those that love them. There are those that hate them. You gotta decide on that one.

Though, being used - you likely don't have the factory warranty anymore and it may be your only option. I don't think they transfer. Just guessing, though - but I know when I called Dometic this weekend, they asked me if I was the original owner or not.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

I pick up my new 24r on Wed. I normally don't buy extended warranties on vehicles, but since I am buying something primarily made of aluminum and fiberglass, I purchased the extended warranty for 7 years and/or 84,000 miles. The price was very reasonable compared to any cost for repair I could think of. JMO
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #7

My guess is the MB chassis warranty is good., however check with them to make sure. Vehicle insurance is all over the board. It can vary as much as$300 per year from company to company. Never bought an extended warranty on anything so really can't speak to that. Anybody get a real eye opener when they "added" their RV to there existing policy? Seems the comprehensive portion was way out there for some reason.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I purchased the extended coverage and the roadside was included when we bought new. There are extensive threads on here discussing both. It really is whatever you are comfortable with. If you want to gamble ... do so, if you want to know you are covered if you need it, then get it. Kinda the same as any other "insurance" policy ... some want them ... some don't. I know the above is not much help ... but congrats on your unit!
We also purchased extended coverage on our Solera 24M. I have never purchased extended warranty coverage on anything else, but in this instance, we considered that the 24M is a unique case, and we didn't want to be caught on a road trip and need service. Read the policy carefully. Make sure you have onsite coverage for repairs and towing coverage if they can't repair on site - the fine print is what will get you every time. If you're financing, the small extra monthly cost is good peace of mind.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

I was speaking more to liability insurance, not extentend warranty coverage. Was anybody shocked at how much your existing auto insurance charged you to add your Solera. Maybe its just my carrier. What was your expierence with the premium? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

My Auto carrier subbed out for RV coverage, so I went with Nationwide for RV insurance which has Roadside Assistance included. I have 30 days coverage through the dealer to figure out if I want an extended warranty or not. Thanks for all the replies. "Happy Travels" and .
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #11

I have 21st century and was shocked how much liability was for a vehicle I use a few times a month at most
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

We use a company called Blue Sky rv insurance. They have some great packages and coverage vs the norm. JMO
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #13

I guess speaking in general , I was referring about the Solera premium. Say you compare it to your regular car/truck premium . Do any of you find the premium to be quite a bit higher. In my case, it was more than $350 higher with comprehensive being the amount that was the problem. I would appreciate any input as I plan to shop it in the coming months. Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Insurance coverage can vary from one company to another. In my case with Allstate I was surprised to learn that when the trailer is parked (storage or home) that the homeowner policy covers it and not my RV policy. My deductable on the RV is $50 while the home owner deductable is $1,000 which is a big difference. Also was surprised that the personal contents are not covered in a break-in but would be if the TT is stolen.

Currently I have roadside assistance with AAA for auto & RV. I'm going to be checking out other options for roadside assistance & insurance this summer now that I have some RV experience & knowledge.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #15

My policy is about 250 more than my other cars most of the increase is the comprehensive
What frys me is how little I use the motorhome compared to my other vehicles
Insurance should be cheap
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #16

I have Erie Insurance in Pennsylvania. Have used them all my life, as have my parents. $193/year for a $100 deductible and includes roadside asst. My comprehensive portion is $130.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #17

KDH fan, is that the premium for Solera?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #18

I went with my auto insurance last year because I needed something fast for the loan on the RV. But I switched this year to Good Sam's insurance through GMCA the insurance was about $500 cheaper and had more coverage.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
KDH fan, is that the premium for Solera?
Sorry... i've never heard of Solera. I have Erie Insurance in PA. Not sure how far outside of PA they go.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #20

Sorry, but I had to reply. This is generally a specific FR forum addressing the "Solera" model, with in the general FR forum blog. That is why I directed my question to other Solera owners, to try and get input so other owners, as well as myself, can determine which insurance companies are ripping off their "customers". I know that there are numerous forums for various models sold by FR which address that specific product.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but thanks for your input.