Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Rats in my Solera

Today I took the Solera out of storage and found lots of mouse and rat damage in the cupboards under the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink. Any thoughts about the point of entry and how to keep the critters out? From other posts, it sounds like peppermint oil is a good deterrent. I'd be interested to know what our Solera-pros use.
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
2012 Solera

I noted that I could see daylight through the bottom edge of the slideout when it was fully retracted. Solera "S" looking between the lavatory sink cabinet and the side of the slideout. Dealer was no help. I added some 3/4 inch foam rubber weatherstripping along the bottom edge - adhered to the side of the motorhome. I also spray around the unit with ammonia when parking in storage yard. No incursions yet.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

The tires make an excellent ladder for such vermin, so look above them for an entrance.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

2011 24S
Mice moved in on me during the winter. First found small acorns in large storage area and then found acorns underneath the sink in the kitchen, under the refrigerator and middle drawer. Vacuumed as many of the acorns as I could get and then took all the panels out of the large storage area (and they are still out). I finally got some sticky pads and placed them in areas where I thought mice would crawl and caught a bunch of them. As of now, I think I am clean of them but occasionally one will get on a sticky pad. I think they were living in the MH cause I caught some while camping.

Additionally, they got under the hood and gnawed some of the black padding stuck on the hood. I think they used this for nesting or ???
Haven't seen any signs in a long time in this area.

I keep my shorepower wire elevated so they cannot crawl up on it. Other than that or crawling up on the tires, I don't know how they get in. I had the MH examined at an RV shop and they couldn't find any obvious openings that mice could get through...

My advice would be to put sticky pad traps under the drawers in all the cabinets and fridge. Also in the storage area. They can get behind the panels and you won't ever know they are there....
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #5

Try the 5 gallon pail mouse trap. Assuming all the food has been removed from the MH, this trap when set up right is fantastic. Look on the net for several tweeks to the design. What works for me is a thin band of peanut butter in the middle of the can. Also set the ramp board at an orientation so the end of the board is 2 inches, at the closest point, perpendicular to the can. That makes them close enough in their reach, yet far enough so they slip into the bucket. Oh, and one more thing, use anti-freeze in the bucket, about 1 1/2" deep will do the trick, and it preserves them a long time between cleanout.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #6

I was also told to put the air control on recirculate. Apparently, the rats get into the cab that way i was told
They climb into the engine bay and thru the air intake box into the cab
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I was also told to put the air control on recirculate. Apparently, the rats get into the cab that way i was told
They climb into the engine bay and thru the air intake box into the cab
A GREAT suggestion. I would never have thought of that!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Steve Jackson

I don't have a Solera but the peppermint oil has worked for me(knock on wood).
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
I don't have a Solera but the peppermint oil has worked for me(knock on wood).
I did the dryer sheets, hope it does the trick.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
A GREAT suggestion. I would never have thought of that!
I had no signs of droppings or anything else in the cab or living area...just under the sink/stove cabinet and fridge and in the big storage area. There were dropping in the shore power cord area also...so I thought they might be coming up on the cord and now it's up off the ground...
They got up in the engine compartment on the truck frame. You could see droppings under the engine on both sides of the frame. Look under your hood and see the black cover under the hood...that's where they gnawed a good bit of it off and also on the side where the fresh air intake is. I don't know if they can get through the fresh air intake because it's kind of snug against the hood.....imo
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

Slow, are talking about the rubber gasket seal on the underside of the hood, that closes around the cowling that holds the rectangular air filter when the engine hood is closed. Those little buggers ate that!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #12

I've been lucky with the dryer sheets. I put one in each compartment, one under the hood, and scatter 6 more through out the camper. I also use them in my motorcycles when I store them, one near the airbox and on the seat. Mice can cause a lot of damage, and make a huge mess if left in the RV for the cold months.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Well, happy to read I'm not the only one with this problem. Caught 15 mices so far but none in the last 2weeks.
Found the nest under the bathroom sink after I unscrew the heat ventilation grill.
I really don't know what they are looking for as they is nothing in the MH. It is in storage in y backward due to my doctor advice not to go South this winter, cardiac valve remplacement needed !!!

For the mouse problem, my wife and I are waiting for the new moon to search for the entry. Big powerful flashlight inside and me crawling under to look for the light.

Will let you know if we find something !

PS: peanut butter is really the BEST to catch mices.

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #14

What kind of trap caught 15 mice?. Also, if your bringing the peanut butter into your rv, that will be a constant draw, until you deplete the area population sufficiently in this storage season around your rv.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #15
NELA

Bonide 12 Pack Mouse Magic Pest Repellent | eBay

Mouse Magic

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #16

Thanks for all the great advice! I have stuffed brass cleaning pads into all possible openings under the kitchen and bathroom sinks and I've placed cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil in all cabinets. Also put bait packs and shaved Irish Spring soap in engine compartment. So far so good. What is the white powder I see on the ground around motorhomes in the campground? Does it deter mice or just insects?
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #17

Check out predatorpee.com I use the Bobcat and Fox pee and pour it in the little 3 oz containers they sell and hang them under my TT and have not had one in 2 years.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
What kind of trap caught 15 mice?. Also, if your bringing the peanut butter into your rv, that will be a constant draw, until you deplete the area population sufficiently in this storage season around your rv.

The trap is new model from Victor, made of plastic with a close lid area where to put the peanut butter, the easiest to armed. When the mouse try to lift the lid, Kaplung !

Don't worry about the draw, the amount of PB is really small and you better believe none of the catchee where in shape to go tell the others

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #19

Its the smell of it. I don't think they can talk yet.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #20

That's the problem with storage lots even if your RV is clean and free of food someone else's may not be and that attracts the rottens, so they go from one RV to the other checking things out. If I had my Solera at a lot I'd want to check it weekly to be sure things are alright.

Tags
solera