Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Rattling Windows

We just purchased a 24S and are out on our first trip. The front window above the dinette rattles quite a bit. I sat there and watched it flex in the wind. It does not matter how tight you close the window it still flaps in the wind. I believe it is then hitting the metal strip separating the two windows. Other windows do this on my unit, but this one is especially loud. I did put some additional insulation directly around the window and this helps. It appears to me the glass is too thin. Anyone else having this problem? I imagine Forest River will fix, but I would like to have some information before I get a chance to visit a dealer. I do not really have anyone closer than an 1.5 hours to my home.
Thanks
fastrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #2

That is a problem with these frameless windows. Depends on the wind direction, but yes, when you are traveling it can sound pretty bad. Not much to do about it that I have found. You do get used to it. Just know your RV is not going to be a quite ride like your car.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I was in one a while back. Customer had one rattling so they replaced the window. She said it was still rattling. I happened to be at the dealership so we took it for a test drive...I could get it to rattle if I loosened it up a bit, but once I tightened it down the rattle stopped. I just wonder if allowed to rattle (when loose), does that loosen it up enough that it still rattles even when tight????? This was a new window so I wonder if tightening it was the solution.

Just speculation.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #4

I hear what you are saying. I thought at first surely it was not snugged up. I let my wife drive to visually inspect it for myself. It flexes enough so that you can see daylight in the middle portion of the window. It makes a really annoying tapping sound which must be because of the metal strip that divides the windows. I put a strip of adhesive foam directly attached to the glass the best I could without removing the window and this pretty much stops the rattling, but the window still flexes quite a bit. It sure seems that thicker glass is in order. Because I could not get the foam seal all the way around we now to have to air leak, but at least the rattling is gone. I know there are always going to be minor things that need tweaking, but this seems more of a quality/engineering issue? Later this week while traveling I may try to post some video. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

I have a 2014 24R and have not had any issues with the widows rattling to date. Just completed an 800 mile trip. I do get a little rattle from the slide out awning that could be confused with coming from the windows. Not saying that might be your source as you have seen the flexing.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

We have noticed this with our 24 S it comes and goes depending on wind conditions. But as said earlier you get use to it.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

We also have this issue with our 2013 24R. It is depending on cross winds and passing semi's. All you can do is tighten up the best you can.
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Robert Mayberry

Rattling windows

Mine also rattled. The one over the sink. My windows are not the flush ones. Turned out it was the plastic bottom of the window shade tattling against the window.

Bob
San Francisco
2011 S
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

I haven't noticed the windows rattling but I do have a wicked rattle in the screen door or at least I assumed it was the screen door. Our rig is put away for the winter (unless we find a compelling reason to uncover it) so I'll try to remember to look at the kitchen window the next time we have it out.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Regarding the screen door rattle issue. I noticed on mine that one of the clear cone shaped stoppers that are adhered to the door, was about to fall off. I applied a blob of good silicone caulk to re-attach it at the most useful position on the door. It reduced the noise but did not entirely eliminate that rattle issue.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #11

Our 2013 24S window by the dinette would get a horrid rattle at times. I was so afraid it was going to fall out. On one of our trips to the shop we pointed it out to our service guy along with telling him how they would catch on each other when opening and closing. They looked at it and saw the windows were in a little crooked. We just got them replaced a week ago, but we haven't been anywhere to see if the new windows rattle. We are hoping not.
Spud Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

I have a bad rattle coming from the outside vent cover for the vent hood over the stove. I'm seriously considering caulking it shut since we don't use the stove. I have found and fixed all other rattles from inside the coach (privacy curtain rod over the cab and pantry slide-out rack). It can get to you on a 1500 mile trip.
boats742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boats742 View Post
I have a bad rattle coming from the outside vent cover for the vent hood over the stove. I'm seriously considering caulking it shut since we don't use the stove. I have found and fixed all other rattles from inside the coach (privacy curtain rod over the cab and pantry slide-out rack). It can get to you on a 1500 mile trip.
Did you make sure the tabs on that vent cover are snapped shut? If the cover is secured it would be hard for it to rattle!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #14

Thank to all for the feedback. Here is a bit of an update.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131115_112907_215.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	43803
Hopefully this picture is attaching correctly. This is a picture of the double window over the dinette. If you are able to view it you will notice the metal strip that runs vertically. This strip should be perfectly centered between the windows on either side. As you can see at the bottom it starts out in the center and then heads off center and underneath the window on the left. Many of you have said your windows do vibrate a bit depending on wind direction and I do not think with this window design we will get away from this. Our particular window was tapping the metal strip and causing quite an annoying noise. My temporary fix was to add another strip of insulation directly to the glass to serve as a buffer to the metal and allow the window to be a bit snugger. This definitely helped immensely. Since we have been back home my dealer has ordered a new window due to the alignment issue. At this point it has not come in yet. Unfortunately we are leaving in a week and will be gone until March. Oh well. I still believe that Forest River(or whoever manufacturers the windows) should address the flexing issue of the window at speed. Maybe thicker glass? Happy Holidays and safe travels!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Did you make sure the tabs on that vent cover are snapped shut? If the cover is secured it would be hard for it to rattle!
Yes tabs are shut but it rattles at the top hinge...
Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #16

Wedge a small piece of pipe insulation up under the outer rain cover, and against the flapper, that cured my rattle during travel.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Wedge a small piece of pipe insulation up under the outer rain cover, and against the flapper, that cured my rattle during travel.
That's exactly the fix I was looking for! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Hehr is the window mfg. We've mentioned this to them, not sure what has come of it. If it continues to be an issue, sometimes our only recourse is to change mfg.'s.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #19

We experienced the same problem in our 2014R. It is now in for warranty repairs.
Susan94066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
Commercial Member

We've asked about thicker glass or using a mullioned window. It's hard to replicate because it doesn't affect everyone. But we would like it to happen to no one.