Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

RCA cable in wall

I have a bad DVD cable (RCA) from the Magnadyne to the TV. I am assuming the cable is sealed in the wall and not passing through a conduit. Is there anyway to replace the cable without tearing the wall apart?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

What makes you think he cable is bad? What's it doing?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

I'm not familiar with your setup, but have done lot's of cable runs in my time. If you can see both ends of the current cable, tape the new cable to one end and use the original as a pull cord. Try to tape the cables in such a way as to allow them to slide over any obstacles- avoid blunt ends/ try to use the tape to create a pointed profile at the connectors. Hope this helps.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

The DVD will not play to the tv through the normal cable in the wall. Will play when hooked up with a RCA cable run from the source to the TV. I would try pulling the wire like you would for a normal run, but I think all of the wires are tied or seal in the outside wall of the RV.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
The DVD will not play to the tv through the normal cable in the wall. Will play when hooked up with a RCA cable run from the source to the TV. I would try pulling the wire like you would for a normal run, but I think all of the wires are tied or seal in the outside wall of the RV.
Pull on both ends and see if it will move.
If it does not move do you want your cable run along the floor or on the wall?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023319...ctId=202331941#

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/...nt/N=5+509693/
Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm not familiar with your setup, but have done lot's of cable runs in my time. If you can see both ends of the current cable, tape the new cable to one end and use the original as a pull cord. Try to tape the cables in such a way as to allow them to slide over any obstacles- avoid blunt ends/ try to use the tape to create a pointed profile at the connectors. Hope this helps.
Or instead of taping the cables together, just get a connector and screw them together.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Mikegjax....first and foremost, thank you for your service to our country.

Now your cable, if you have an ohm meter/continuity tester you can test the RCA cable you think is defective. (If you don't know how to do this, send me a PM and I'll get back to you with instructions...it's really simple.) Next, check the end connectors very closely. You may have one that has pulled loose from the copper wire and you could pick one up at Radio Shack and just put a new connector on the wire. If all else fails, like Dustman said, it's not real hard to use the old cable as a pull string and pull in a new cable...IF you can get any movement out of the old cable. My guess, like you, is that it is sandwiched in the wall or simply held unmovable because of how the RV was built. If you can get the old cable to move, I would also recommend that you remove the RCA connectors from the new cable you are trying to fish in the wall...you will never fish it with the connectors on the end of the wire. Again, go to Radio Shack and by some connectors that you can crimp on once you fish the wire.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Or instead of taping the cables together, just get a connector and screw them together.
I don't think it's coax - I think they're RCA connectors:

Not sure what you could screw together.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
Mikegjax....first and foremost, thank you for your service to our country.

Now your cable, if you have an ohm meter/continuity tester you can test the RCA cable you think is defective. (If you don't know how to do this, send me a PM and I'll get back to you with instructions...it's really simple.) Next, check the end connectors very closely. You may have one that has pulled loose from the copper wire and you could pick one up at Radio Shack and just put a new connector on the wire. If all else fails, like Dustman said, it's not real hard to use the old cable as a pull string and pull in a new cable...IF you can get any movement out of the old cable. My guess, like you, is that it is sandwiched in the wall or simply held unmovable because of how the RV was built. If you can get the old cable to move, I would also recommend that you remove the RCA connectors from the new cable you are trying to fish in the wall...you will never fish it with the connectors on the end of the wire. Again, go to Radio Shack and by some connectors that you can crimp on once you fish the wire.
Here's a connector I found at Radio Shack (They have several kinds). I read some of the reviews..of course pro and con. One commercial guy said he has use thousands of them with few issues. Anyway, they look pretty simple to use if 1) you find a defective connector on your cable and/or 2) you remove the connectors on a new cable so you can fish it through the wall.

Phono Plug (6-Pack) : Phono Plugs | RadioShack.com
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
2012 Solera

On my 2012 Solera "S", there are five RCA cables between the radio/dvd player in the dash and the TV. Four are audio - two TV outputs to the radio and two TV inputs from the radio/dvd. From your description, it sounds like the fifth cable - the video (yellow) cable - is the problem. I would try substituting one of the audio cables for the video cable. Other than color, I don't think these cables are really any different. The cables connecting the radio output to the TV are not particularly valuable - who wants to listen to the radio or the sound from a dvd on the (tiny) TV speaker?

Good luck -

Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #11

Those are 2 audio (red/white) and 1 composite video cable (yellow one). Do you have audio and no picture? do you have picture and no audio? if you have neither then the harness is either open or the connectors are at fault. Even without video you should get audio if all is connected correctly. I believe.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

Make sure you have set the TV to the correct input. There is an AV1 and AV2 input. It could be that the cable is plugged into the wrong input.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Thanks all for your replies. I thought I had found the problem with one of the ends. It had been cut so I replaced that and no help.
I can't run new wires as they are stuck firmly in the wall. Next step is to swap audio with video cables. I will do that in the next day or so. Like I mentioned earlier, it works fine when an external cable is connected directly from the player to the TV. I will let you know the outcome. Good news is that while I had the radio out I installed the SAT tuner and antenna.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

an ohmeter will tell you which one is bad
Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #15

I will do a continuity check on them when I get the radio out again. I did not do one the last time as I thought the bad end was the problem. Shame on me!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:
I will do a continuity check on them when I get the radio out again. I did not do one the last time as I thought the bad end was the problem. Shame on me!
You could have a screw or a staple thru the wire.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #17

I'm leaning toward the screw or staple idea.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the screw or staple idea.
Performing the continuity check would tell you almost for sure in the fact if the wires were shorted or broken by a screw or staple.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #19

Switched one of the audio cables with the video and all is well. You would think the system would have been tested before leaving the factory.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Switched one of the audio cables with the video and all is well. You would think the system would have been tested before leaving the factory.