Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Rear Wheel Covers

Anyone know a source for replacement rear wheel covers?

Be sure and watch the screws that hold the center cover for the hub in place. One of mine worked loose and slung the center cover off somewhere on I-40 between Arkansas and Tennessee.

I hesitate to even think of replacing them with alloy wheels, I'm sure it's prohibitive.
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

I'm not certain, but I think that the wheel covers on my 2014 Solera are from Dicor - Dicor Products | Dicor Products | Official Website

But... I looked around their web site and didn't quite find the right covers. They may be there ...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydrifter View Post
Anyone know a source for replacement rear wheel covers?

Be sure and watch the screws that hold the center cover for the hub in place. One of mine worked loose and slung the center cover off somewhere on I-40 between Arkansas and Tennessee.

I hesitate to even think of replacing them with alloy wheels, I'm sure it's prohibitive.
Suggest you search the Solera threads as this very topic was discussed in detail maybe a year or so ago. Also, there are detailed pictures in that thread, along with corrective measures from one member that pin pointed the exact failure that happens on some wheel covers.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

Fly If you would please take a second to enter your make and model to your profile it helps when answering questions.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Fly If you would please take a second to enter your make and model to your profile it helps when answering questions.
I have been unable to find covers with the same emblem that came with the unit other than Dicor. The Dicor site does not show the exact style FR used.

I plan on switching to the bolt on still all around.
Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Simulators Hubcaps Liners Wheelcovers Wheel Covers
Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

Looks like it's a bit of a process to install those bolt on wheel covers... Please let us know how that goes!

Dave

PS - They do look good!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

More on this in another thread Found it. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...out-15493.html
Old 07-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Looks like it's a bit of a process to install those bolt on wheel covers... Please let us know how that goes!

Dave

PS - They do look good!
Will do! Don't know when I will do this as I might try and repair the tabs on my current covers. If that does not work to my satisfaction then on to the bolt ons.

I don't think the bolt on install will be much of a deal and you only have to do the setup once.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Will do! Don't know when I will do this as I might try and repair the tabs on my current covers. If that does not work to my satisfaction then on to the bolt ons.

I don't think the bolt on install will be much of a deal and you only have to do the setup once.
I believe the rivets begin to fail due to wheel cover movement within the wheel. There are details in that post as I recall.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I believe the rivets begin to fail due to wheel cover movement within the wheel. There are details in that post as I recall.
It is kind of a poor design. The rivets are not strong enough and the "pin" bar that is held on by the rivets is to brittle.

I am going to try and repair anyway and we will see what happens.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #11

After reading all of these posts, I was concerned about the wheel covers on my 2016 Solera 24W. I checked and the rears are attached with two screws. No chance of them rotating or falling off. They have the solid yellow valve extensions, but I am concerned about them. The extensions for the inside wheels get pulled back and wedge against the wheel covers just below the valve cap. That puts some pressure on the valve stem. I pull them back out after each trip, but as soon as I travel at highway speed, they are right back in there. I am thinking about removing the extensions completely.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbright View Post
I checked and the rears are attached with two screws. No chance of them rotating or falling off.
Are you absolutely sure that the rear wheel covers are attached with screws? The Dicor rear wheel covers on my 2015 are made up of two parts. The outer part friction fits onto the wheel. The inner part attaches to the outer part using, as I recall, two screws.

The first time I played with them I thought the two screws held the wheel cover to the wheel. So I took them out and was left with a loose center section...and the rest of the wheel cover still attached to the wheel.

I haven't heard that FR has changed wheel covers, so I'd be a little surprised if the screws attach the cover to the wheels.

Dave
Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

No. I am not absolutely sure that the screws are holding the cover on. I tried to pry them off and they were very tight. Then I noticed the screws and "assumed" they were holding the covers on. I will have to take a closer look. Now, I'm nervous, again. Thanks for the warning.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
After reading all of these posts, I was concerned about the wheel covers on my 2016 Solera 24W. I checked and the rears are attached with two screws. No chance of them rotating or falling off. They have the solid yellow valve extensions, but I am concerned about them. The extensions for the inside wheels get pulled back and wedge against the wheel covers just below the valve cap. That puts some pressure on the valve stem. I pull them back out after each trip, but as soon as I travel at highway speed, they are right back in there. I am thinking about removing the extensions completely.
They are not held on with screws. The two screws hold the center cover to the outside cover. Remove the two screws and you will set what they do.

I would recommend using some plastic ties to help hold the covers in place.

This of course is assuming that FR as not gone to the "twice as expensive" bolt on type for your year RV.

Many of use have gone to metal valve stems to get rid of the yellow extensions. This is what I recommend. DL1SP13FR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit W/ Front Stems
Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #15

Quote:
No. I am not absolutely sure that the screws are holding the cover on. I tried to pry them off and they were very tight. Then I noticed the screws and "assumed" they were holding the covers on. I will have to take a closer look. Now, I'm nervous, again. Thanks for the warning.
I would try to prevent removing the wheel covers unless it is absolutely necessary. The retaining systems (pins and rivets) is the weakest part of the cover. You might get by removing and reinstalling them a few times before the pins and rivets start breaking. The pins are made from a very brittle metal and break fairly easily. Of course this is just me.

I just repaired one cover by drilling out the broken rivets and replacing them with SS pop rivet. Could not do anything about the broken pins. Seems to be a tight fit again, but I still tied them on.

If I have anymore problems with them I will either remove or replace with bolt-ons.

Tags
cover, wheel