Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Relay between batteries.

I'm still working on my gone running lights and discover this:

My old Westfalia had two batteries, one to crank and the other one for the fridge and interior lights.
When the ignition was at the OFF position, there was no contact between the batteries.
When the ignition was at the ON position (on the road, driving) a relay was opened, allowing the alternator to recharge the auxiliairy battery at the same time it recharge the principal one.
The relay is used so the principal battery can never be drain out by the accessories (specially the fridge!).

Now, back to the Sprinter. The Mercedes tech suggest that I disconnect the battery to reset the SAM.

QUOTE: All of the lights are electronically fused by front SAM control unit. It is located under the steering on the left wall. All of the lights must be connected and on short circuits or interruptions present. Only then SAM is supplying the voltage to the lights. If the wiring got shorted out during assembly work, there might be a need to delete the fault codes and even disconnect the battery to reset the SAM. Disconnect all non-working lights and start connecting them one by one. Also cycle the ignition after connecting lights. Possibly there is a short circuit in one of the lights.
There are no fuses for these lights. If this test does not produce a clear result- fault codes in front SAM control unit must be checked with Star Diagnosis computer.

So, I disconnect the main battery (it's huge !!!) but nothing happened cause I still had power everywhere !!!! I could even start the engine.

The reason is that there is no cut-off between the main battery and the motorhome batteries hidden is the staircase. In my case, two more 12 volts batteries to disconnect. I tried the shut-off switch but it only cuts the current going for the camper section.

Not that I'm worried about discharging all the batteries but I think there should be a cut-off between the 2 systems. Or, is there one and it's not working properly ?
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

One More Battery

Hello, First post here. You are forgetting about the second chassis battery located under the drivers feet. Good luck with your running light issue...
Freightliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #3

That is what I was talking about. There should be a cut-off relay between the battery under the driver's feet (The Main battery) and the ones in the RV section.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I just went out on the line and disconnected (2) different Solera chassis batteries and it would not start even with the house batteries connected. Something is definitely not right there...I'll see if I can get a little more info.

I do know that Mercedes won't even let us install and emergency start switch. (if you drain the chassis battery, it allows you to connect to the house batteries to start the engine). They don't want us tying into the chassis.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

I just went out on the line and disconnected (2) different Solera chassis batteries

I found one under the driver's feet, where is the other ?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Sorry, I meant (2) different Soleras (1 chassis battery per unit).

This terribly blurry picture is the disconnect for the Solera. Driver side foot well. If you pull this, there should be no power to the chassis...key should not even turn.

The only line we run from the chassis into the house electrical system is a charge line so that the Alternator charges the house batteries when there is ample current.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solera Disconnect.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	8422  

Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Commercial Member

That is upside down...it doesn't look upside down when I took it.

Tags
battery