Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #1

Remove water filter to sanitize?

New to this and have never removed the water filter but read that you should to sanitize. It's a new 2013 Solera and should there be something in the packet of manuals regarding this procedure? If so, I didn't see it and would also like to know how often to change the filter.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
2012 Solera

On my 2012 Solera there is a pull off panel on the front of the bed. The water filter - and a wrench to remove it - are in there. Be sure to turn off the water and/or the pump and release line pressure (open a faucet until it stops flowing) before you remove it. Also, good to have a container under the filter to catch any spilled water. This same pull-off panel accesses the water heater bypass valves - look to the left.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #3

JL,
I'm going to owe you a few beers by the time I figure this stuff out!
Now I know why the sell em in six packs :-)

Thanks yet again.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

water filter

For what it's worth. I took the filter out and replaced it with a sanitized empty water bottle with the cap on it. I now use the filters that you put on your water hose. This way, when winterizing, it takes about half as much antifreeze to fill the filter container. You are going to have to take the filter out anyway when winterizing the water system. (a future topic?).
I got this idea from this forum
Also, when filling your fresh water tank, you will need a filter on your hose...

Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

I did say I was new to this and finally found the fresh water tank drain behind an access door in the big storage compartment which really wasn't much faster than draining thru the gray/black water tanks
Anyway, I bought this new 2013 Solera last on the 13th and picked it up on the 15th. The new water filter (still in the wrapper) was in the refrigerator when I first saw it but when I picked it up they had already installed it and said they filled the tank to make sure there were no leaks. When I removed the filter last night it had 1/2 dozen or so rust spots on the filter and I hadn't put any water in the RV up until yesterday as I was still learning how to sanitize it.
It doesn't make sense that the dealer would put in the filter without sanitizing the fresh water tanks first and was curious how your first sanitizing went?

Oh yeah, I did find the instructions in the FR manual...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
2012 Solera

I asked the dealer's tech during our PDI - he said he did not sanitize - said he "never drinks the water from these things". My sanitizing went smoothly - I did not see rust spots on my filter when I removed it - in fact, I thouroughly soaked and rinsed it and re-used it. No problems with the water (I do use a tiny amount of swimming pool dichlor - search method on this forum - 1/16 teaspoonful each fillup - to maintain it).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote