Old 06-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Replacing Gray or Black Tank Valves

My brand new Solera W came with some drain valve problems. The black tank drain leaks and the gray tank valve leaked so much that you could hardly call it closing. Both were hard to open or close.

I tried flushing everything a few times to see if perhaps some debris was blocking them from closing. That produced no improvement and when I went to open the gray tank to flush it out the last time, the valve handle broke off. So, I need to replace the gray valve for sure and will likely want to replace the black one at the same time.

My selling dealer is far away and trying to get work scheduled on an RV this time of year is challenging. So, if possible, I would like to do it myself to save the long trip and to get my unit back in service as soon as possible.

There is not much room between the black and gray tanks where the valves are. There is not enough give to separate the flanges enough to remove the old valve or insert a new one. I notice that where the pipes exit the tanks, there is a hose clamp. I am wondering if I would be able to loosen those clamps and push the pipes into the tanks far enough to get a little clearance for removing and reinserting the valves. It looks like there is some glue or cement where the pipes enter the tank where the hose clamp is located. I don't want to damage the tanks, but I was wondering if it is possible to separate the fitting by loosening the hose clamps or if, despite the presence of the hose clamps, the pipes are permanently attached and I will have to cut some pipes and re-attach after the new valves are installed. Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Replacing Gray or Black Tank Valves

I'd recommend calling or emailing FR and having them arrange for service nearby. It's a warranty issue that they should take care of on a brand new rig. I do understand that it's perhaps easier to DIY but if you run into issues and have to replace a lot more parts and it could become a big headache. Just my .02 cents

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
I'd recommend calling or emailing FR and having them arrange for service nearby. It's a warranty issue that they should take care of on a brand new rig. I do understand that it's perhaps easier to DIY but if you run into issues and have to replace a lot more parts and it could become a big headache. Just my .02 cents

2015 Solera 24R
You are right. I will take that advice and try to find someone to do the warranty work. I don't need anymore headaches.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
2012 Solera

If one of these will fit, you might be able to use your rig until you can get it repaired:
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...=rv+tank+valve
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
If one of these will fit, you might be able to use your rig until you can get it repaired:
Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve: Automotive
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to test the gray tank again to see what state it is in. The pull handle broke off of that one and I cannot open the valve any more.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

I had the exact problem with my brand new W three months ago. I took it to a nearby FR authorized dealer (not my selling dealer) for replacement and it's ok so far. My grey tank valve was leaking bad, the black was fine. These are obvious defects that should have been caught by factory or dealer. I also think the design may be flawed - the valves are located on the opposite end of the body so ~ 8 ft from the handle, making the push/pull very hard, perhaps also making them prone to damage.
Good luck with your fix! I still recommend finding a nearby authorized dealer for the warranty repair.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Good luck with getting everything going again. Just as a hint after everything is repaired. On the plastic housing above the handle drill a 1/16 inch hole this allows you to spray oil into the valve housing to deter sticking. After lubing the valves place a short screw in the each hole to keep debris out. I've seen people put grease zerks in to lube the valves but not sure I'd go that route.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Can't believe there are so many problems with the tank valves. My 2015 Coachman Brookstone is at the dealer this week getting the black tank valve replaced after the handle broke off! Definitely a job for the dealer who tells me that FR tried to re-route the cabling to fix a previous year's problem . Well it did not work since it is almost impossible to open / close the valve. Here's hoping the new cable and valve will work like a charm.

By the way my dealer is six hours away - but this kind of job needs expertise and feedback from FR to fix, so I'm happy to drop it off at his shop.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Tank valves

We just bought our new Cedar Creek (love it) but I saw my husband struggling with the valves. I thought there is no way they should be that hard....so I called FR rep. He sent us new valves. Our RV dealer is 1200 miles away. To me it was worth having the experts fix it (not an easy job) Showed me how they had to drop the belly inside the basement to get at it and put it all back. We paid for their hard work (cheaper than a divorce if my husband tried to fix it) now I will try to get refunded. AGAIN WELL WORTH IT. And the guys at Majors RV in Bourne, MA are the best!!!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #10

Long cables are a major problem. After several failures I installed electric valves. Only way to go. No leaks. No problems

Tags
black, black tank, tank, valve