Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Replacing Magnadyne

As we speak with a Kenwood unit. I am hopeful that our frustration level will be reduced! We did the card replace that FR sent, lasted a month. Unit won't turn off sometimes, hard to adjust volume, always crashes. So, hopefully this new Kenwood unit is the answer. 😃
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Wish you luck with that, I know we've had some problems with the Magnadyne in our Solera, I've considered using my Garmin GPS at least I know it's not going to shut down on me at a critical moment.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Omg. What a difference!!!!!! Sound quality is unbelievable. And so easy to use. I'm so glad we did this. What a world of difference this is going to make in our travels!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Omg. What a difference!!!!!! Sound quality is unbelievable. And so easy to use. I'm so glad we did this. What a world of difference this is going to make in our travels!!!!
Yep, that's the same reaction I had when I replaced the Magnadyne with a Kenwood. Ease of use. Screen brightness. No glitches. And much more.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #5

FR really ought to consider putting these in rather than a Magnadyne. It would probably cost a bit more, but worth every penny. I couldn't be happier!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #6

Debbie:
Which Kenwood did you install?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Commercial Member

GPS and DVD? We'll take a look.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Debbie:
Which Kenwood did you install?
Kenwood DNX6990HD is the one we installed. There are two HD units, one with a knob for sound and one without. I wanted the one with a knob so I could easily turn the volume up or down. Here is what it has on it -

HD Radio
Sirrus - we added that mod
DVD
CD
Ipod
Pandora
Garmin GPS - with traffic updates
Bluetooth
The only thing it does not have that the Magnadyne did, was the weather radio.
It has a somewhat smaller screen - 6.5 vs Magnadyne 7 - it is so bright and crisp, though ... you would think it was bigger!

Some of the really cool features. You can control the DVD to play just in the coach and not on the dash screen. Or it can play on both - we had a switch installed that does that. The system itself can turn speakers on in the coach and not in the front and visa versa. You can listen to music in the cab while someone is watching a movie in the back - all from the system! And yes, we have it wired so you can watch a movie in the back while driving!

GPS is a Garmin - really cool - gives you traffic updates on the route you have selected in real time - i.e. an accident happens 20 miles from you - you will get notified if that is the way you are heading. How cool is that! And then it will give you an estimated time for you to get through the backup if it can be determined. It will offer to divert you around the accident as well, with an estimated time for the diversion.

Radio is HD ... if the station you select does broadcast in HD, it will automatically reset it to the HD feed. (both AM & FM)

Bluetooth - it has it's one little microphone that they put up on the front window real high - you don't see it - but it is there. The Bluetooth automatically downloads your contact list in your phone so you can just tap a person and call them - or it shows the name of the person calling in if they are in your contacts. Private conversation - quick icon takes it so it is no longer on the bluetooth - conversation can now only be heard on your hand held phone. Oh yes, and if you have music on your phone, it can play that music wirelessly. The conversation again, is crystal clear - not all mushy like with the M.

Ipod - can locate songs/playlists either on the ipod itself (wheel) or through the system. Also has a USB that you can download music on and use the system.

Pandora and something else like it that is a subscription (A something) - I didn't pay attention to those two, as we don't use them.

All the above is hands down better than the Magnadyne (sorry BClemens) ... but it is the SOUND quality that absolutely blew me away. FR did put good speakers in there - but you would never know it with the Magnadye. Crisp, crystal clear and just amazing. That alone would have been worth the $1400 it cost me for the system, installation, Sirrus add on and the switch to have the DVD just play in the back so we can listen to music while a passenger can watch movies.

I'm one Happy Camper!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Deb

did you have to install a new mounting backet or were you able to use the one that's there already?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Deb

did you have to install a new mounting backet or were you able to use the one that's there already?
I really don't know if they did or not. I had it installed by the shop I bought it from, MobileOne in New Orleans. Sorry.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

That's ok thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Deb

Henry:
Good question about the mounting bracket. A lot of the Audio houses (like Crutchfield) can cross reference the vehicle and supply with bracket and the dash surround if needed. Crutchfield has the radio Debbie installed, and supply all hte mounting hardware and wiring free with the radio. Check Crutchfield's website and plug in your vehicle as a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Cargo Van and your year. I think they sell the hardware etc separately if you find a better price somewhere else on the radio. I like to buy from them for the aftermarket support they provide. (Map upgrades, etc.)
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #13

Crutchfield does have them cheaper than what I paid. However, I can't change a lightbulb without instructions, so having it installed for me was worth the extra!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #14

Ed
Thanks for the info I'll look into that and Debbie don't feel bad about that there's a lot of people out there who can't and or shouldn't work on things themselves.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Trip back to Alabama was great listening to the new system. However, we are going to have to get the Sirrus antenna put somewhere else. It is on the dash right now and the signal breaks up. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #16

Debbie:
I read somewhere that the Sirius Antenna is not obstructed by Fibreglass and that folks were getting good reception installing the antenna in the cabover. That's what I did, running the little thin cable down and around the driver's seat and in behind the dash. Haven't taken a trip out since I installed it, but it is getting a good signal sitting under my metal roofed shed, so I'm optimistic. You might try it there since it's pretty quick and simple routing the cable, and a lot easier than trying to mount it outside.

Ed
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Debbie:
I read somewhere that the Sirius Antenna is not obstructed by Fibreglass and that folks were getting good reception installing the antenna in the cabover. That's what I did, running the little thin cable down and around the driver's seat and in behind the dash. Haven't taken a trip out since I installed it, but it is getting a good signal sitting under my metal roofed shed, so I'm optimistic. You might try it there since it's pretty quick and simple routing the cable, and a lot easier than trying to mount it outside.

Ed
Ed - I'm confused ... you say to run it up so it is in the cab above the seats? Like where the bed is? And if that is what you mean, just have it sitting on the bed part? Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Ed - I'm confused ... you say to run it up so it is in the cab above the seats? Like where the bed is? And if that is what you mean, just have it sitting on the bed part? Thanks
Yep. Not on the bed - under the mattresss. Just make sure it lays with the flat side down (doesn't need to be on metal). I tucked it in under the mattress as far forward as it would go. It's virtually invisible, and won't disturb anyone's sleeping. I guess you could velcro it to the little shelf at the head of the bed, but I wanted mine inconspicuous.
Ed
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #19

Well, this morning before heading to get the Sirius antenna's location changed, I officially called Sirius and signed up the Solera's new Kenwood unit. On my way to MobileOne it never lost signal. So, guess the "preview" had a weaker signal than the real thing? Anyway, told MobileOne that we'd try it like it is and see what happens. BTW - love the garmin nav. On our way last night, it came on and said "congestion ahead, recalculating". Pretty cool.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #20

Last update on this process - the Sirus lost signal as soon as we got out of NOLA last Sunday going north/east :-(. We got back in town with it yesterday - does ok going south and west! However, can't always drive south and west! Took it to Mobile One, they drilled a small hole on the roof and put the antenna up there. Works like a charm. (although when we leave Nola again this weekend, that will be the true test!)