Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Replacing the Flexible Fiberglass/Rubber Tire Stems

Just found my right rear inner tire loosing air when I checked the tire pressure at 40 lbs (Continental Tires rated @ 80 lbs) yesterday. I have the flexible fiberglass stem going to that tire. I made up my mind to replace and am now getting quotes. I have one quote @ $321.59 total for (6) tire breakdown and replace stems with “Airless” stainless steel stems. Appreciate any other stem recommendation/advice before I pull the trigger and buy. Thanks.
2013 Solera 24S

PS: I find it hard to believe that Forest River would sell an RV with the stem problems as stated on this forum without some liability issues.
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Tie up your valve stem extenders with wire ties. Also tie the wheel covers to the wheels. My experience is the valve extenders whip around when driving and can depress the valve stem letting air slowly seep out. No problem after tie up. If this is a new problem could you have a nail in the tire?
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

I have over 15000 miles on my 2013 Solera and have not had any problems with the tires. I am thinking about replacing the valve stems and extenders when I have the tires rotated. But that probably won't be until next year now.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

If you have airless stem extensions (Inflators) installed you may have issues with stem mounted tire pressure sensors.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the advise.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
PS: I find it hard to believe that Forest River would sell an RV with the stem problems as stated on this forum without some liability issues.
The issue was with the stainless steel braided ones that attached to the wheel liner. Wheel liner goes flying off...so does the extension.

The Yellow Air-Flexx ones are airless...so only release air when the center stem is depressed. They do not attach to the wheel liner (by design). You can look up Air-Flexx for more info.

Glauch Air-flexx

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire