Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Right rear tire trouble

I tried to add this to the old tire problem post but it would not let me.

Well had planned to put a couple of tie wraps on the hubcaps in the rear and never got around to it. Well it bit me in the butt today. We were coming back from Canton, Texas today. Heard a big noise and something like a lot of air going somewhere. Lucky I could pull over right away. Sure enought the hubcap on the right rear came off pulling the inside tire stem out and breaking the hose on the outside tire. I was able to hurry and take the hose off and stop air release. We were at least an hour away for a big town. So I decided to change the tire myself. So I was able to put the spare on the inside and the tire with only 12 psi left in it on he outside.
We then drove 20mph for about 20 miles to a store that had an air station. Only bad thing i could not put air in tire without taking it off camper. So I had to jack camper up and take tire off camper to add air to tire. Air station could only go up to 69 psi. But at least that got us home. Only damage ended up being the trim on fender well and the hubcap. So I guess we were lucky.

Going to call Forest River in morning to order new parts. You would think the would give me the parts, but I know that will not happen. Plan to change out valve stems with steel ones. Then I guess I'll put the tie wraps to hold the hubcap on. We are thing about looking for some mag rims but would think they would be costly.

Soory this is so long. Just wanted to vent.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #2

Sucks to have tire problems and glad to see you made it home with out any major issues and hope they take care of you - call the warranty department and see what they can do for you since your unit is a 2011 and probably is still under warranty.

might be wise to add a small air compressor to your carry list - just an idea

I mounted a permanent air compressor with a 5 gallon tank on my dodge to run my Air Horns and also to be able to air up tires - has come in very handy and has paid for itself the first time I used it to fill up a tire.

USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3

Looking at some rear bolt on covers. But the ons I found are only good for up to 2007. Going to call them in morning and see if they will fit a 2011.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Called Forest River today. Her 1st question was it the right rear wheels. Anyway she wants pictures. Going to send them in morning and then I guess we will see what they will do.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
2012 Solera

I guess I don't get the picture! Does your rear tire look mine in ths attachment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0835.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	10543  
Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

yes but the valve stem extension are mounted to the wheel hub cap. Then when the cap flys off it pulles the stem out the rim. Nothing to hold the cap on the rim.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
I guess I don't get the picture! Does your rear tire look mine in ths attachment?
That is a newer valve extension called "Air-Flexx" It is from germany. It is rigid so it does not need to be fastened to the hub cap. Also, it does not pressurize the line. There is a small shaft that goes from the cap to the inner valve. When you put a chuck on, it depresses the shaft, which in turn depresses the tire valve. That way, if the extension gets loose, or cut you do not loose pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poster_gb.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	10551   Click image for larger version

Name:	schnitt_eng.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10552  
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

Not sure how those would work with TPM on them.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

I read this post and went out and tied the wheel covers to the wheel with tyewraps. I plan on getting some stainless wire for a better fix. theholes matched up on hub and wheel and I think this will keep them on. Anyone with a better idea pass it on.
Thanks Poppy Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #10

I had plan to put the tyewraps. Someone was going to bring me a few big ones. Just forgot about it and went on trip. No reason these caps are not fasten to the wheel.