Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

Roadside assistance? AAA, Coach-Net, or...

Does anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, with any of the roadside assistance services such as AAA or Coach-Net?

Or do you know of anything better?

Thanks,
tommyb
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #2

I have used Good Sam twice in the last year. Customer service persons who answered my calls for help handled my requests efficiently.
David100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #3

Good question! I just wanted to ask myself

Till now I covered with "Blue Sky RV Motor Club" and I needed it just 5 days after signing with a flat tire.
There service was... hm, lets say mediocre. I had now internet access to search for tires service companies. After begging they looked on google and gave me 4 phone numbers. 2 werent out of service, 1 was just for car tires, 1 worked but they had not time this night... I should wait 2 biz days.... thanks a lot :/
As one mechanic came out he couldnt remove the spare tire, cause somthing at this mount was bend.... So he left and I called again the BSRVMC. The next guy gave me some other numbers and I found one service, whch was 1 mile away, who could do the job but just inhouse. So I asked the motor club guy for a tow truck to bring me there. He told me, that I have just ONE service within 72hrs and that was my 2nd service, cause the first mechanic left. I asked him if he´s kidding me, cause I´m sitting here since 15hrs with the same RV at the same spot with the same fricking bursted tire. He said, that he couldnt tell me sth other. I should have to contact the complaint departement, what I´ve done 3 days ago. I´m still waiting for reply....

So guys, what´s with AAA or other experience?

Tom
Tomenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #4

Aaa would come out when I had a flat
Said I needed a different policy
So my insurance company sent out someone who put air in the flat
It held
I'm thinking of getting good Sam since they specialize in rv

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Like Sandiegodoug stated I went with Good Sam they work with RV's all the time. I once saw an RV being towed into a dealer by a company and wondered who their RSA was as the back of the MH was being dragged on the payment. I used Good Sam's once and found them to be very friendly and able to work with me.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Robert Mayberry

Roadside Assistance

I have Coachnet. Had them since 2011. I would not switch. They are fast, polite and know what they are talking about. Even have technicians you can talk to. And if you need service they know the best places around wherever you are in US or Canada.
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

When I bought my Solera I just took the easy way and added it to my AAA coverage. We previously had a TT on the policy and only one uneventful experience.

Last week my wife encountered a problem with the vehicle not starting and she was away from home on a trip.

AAA was called and until we found and replaced the famous failed fuse #23 we were all set to have it towed to a service center.

They were planning to drop the drive shaft so they could tow it with the wheels on the ground.

Seems to me they should have only used a flat bed and that perhaps a Coach net or Sams Club affiliate would know better.

Thoughts and comments?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

I had my rear tire going down while driving on the freeway(thanks to a motorist that alerted me). The time I got over and on to the off ramp both right rear tires down. I called good sam road assistance. They sent out a provider that wasn't equipped with an air jack. They could do nothing other than put air in the tires and assess the tire damage. The inside tire was damaged and would not inflate and the outside tire was taking some air but would not inflate. In the mean time I contacted G.S. again to send service and bring out a tire, because now it's getting late in the day and tire shops nearby were closing.Now 5 1/2 hours later I am finally back on the road. They charged $438 for the tire and mount. The same tire at a local shop quoted me $157 + $16 to mount balance and lifetime balance and rotation. Not a happy camper !

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jcinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Robert Mayberry

I've had CoachNet for four years and would not switch. They are fast, friendly and professional.

Bob
2011 Solera
San Francisco
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

After DIY swapping-out my China Bombs for Maxxis & installing a TMPS I failed to inspect my lug bolts after the 1st 10 miles... As I was pulling into our campground just 30 miles later & I realized I nearly lost my rear left TT tire. My dealer wanted $200 just to cover the hour drive & local mechanics cold not fit me in their schedule for 3-4 days...

Then I remembered I had purchased Good Sam's through a dealer promo. An hour later an awesome commercial trailer mechanic was working on my rim. Good Sam's covered his trip, so he only charged me around $45/hr labor plus the actual cost of parts. Upon his suggestion, he brought back a spare set of bolts & nuts & showed me how to tighten-down the axle properly should I need to pull an axle in the future...

About 3 months later my Ram Hemi blew a rod (under warranty) but at the time I did not think the tow would be covered by Ram... I called Good Sam's & they sent a large Flatbed because they didn't want to risk further damaging the drivetrain. The tow truck driver was very professional & even dropped me off at a safe location to wait for my ride... Later, when the dealer needed to tow it, they just hauled it behind the cheapest tow truck they could find... The dealer's hireling was so impatient he almost damaged my truck had I not been there to oversee...

Based on these positive experiences I will probably stick with Good Sam's for as long as we own an RV. In both cases they sent the right person/equipment to get the job done correctly & in a timely manner. So much better than calling around on your own & getting taken advantage of because you are in a bind...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Keep in mind that GS, Coachnet, AAA, etc. all use independent shops and there are some borderline incompetent wrecker services. We've had AAA since 1974 and have used them probably 6 times in numerous locations and have only had one that was a little shaky out of Lonoke, AR on a flat tire. He (young man) couldn't get the spare out from under the bed of the truck. Finally had to show him how to lower it.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

I'll put in a good word for Coach-net...helped 2x this year so far...both times I got fast and professional service and action. I might be tempted by Good Sam if their price is way better, but otherwise, I'm sticking with CN.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #13

I had my transmission go out half way up our local mountains here in Southern Califonia. I called AAA, told them I had a broke down truck and a travel trailer. Twenty minutes later a flatbed showed up. The truck went on the flatbed, the trailer hooked up to the back and we were off. Not the first time AAA has bailed me out.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #14
GLCM Warrior

We have Good Sam. Called them once for a flat repair...got tired of waiting & changed the tire myself. When I called them back about 2 hrs after the initial call, they still hadn't arranged a dispatch.

Will probably keep Good Sam only because in the event my tow vehicle is disabled, they say they will tow the 5'ver to a nearby campground while the TV is being repaired. Unsure if the other two services do that or not.
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

Progressive

Has anybody had experience with the Progressive Insurance RV road service?
They provide the same services (on paper at least) as GS, AAA, etc., BUT at a fraction of the cost (I think its only $25 added to your policy).
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswiss View Post
Has anybody had experience with the Progressive Insurance RV road service?
They provide the same services (on paper at least) as GS, AAA, etc., BUT at a fraction of the cost (I think its only $25 added to your policy).
I only have progressive insurance for my travel trailer. Have never used them in the past and would also like to hear anyone that have used them. I have AAA for my tow vehicle and thought about them for my trailer. The problem that I have with them and Good Sam's is that to cover both tow vehicle and trailer requires additional costs, and AAA only covers the owner of the policy, not family members (requires a consecutive memberships).
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

Progressive handles my Ins which includes rd svs. nothing but good things to say about them
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #18

I know this thread is getting older but I have been wondering about coverage. My Coach-Net has expired, I have Progressive as my camper policy and I was wondering if I need to start the Coach-Net up again, go with Good-Sam or do nothing since I have Progressive. What do you more experienced travel trailer owners do?
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #19

I have Progressive, for more than 9 years. I have used their road service twice, both together pulled out of mud. Excellent. They sent the Correct tow truck with the right ko operator
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote