Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Roof access 24R

I picked up a new 2015 Solera 24R last week. Yea!
I saw an earlier thread about walking on the roof and that it was okay.
I called Forest River and was told that I needed to put at least 1/4" Thick plywood sheets up there to walk on before getting up there. Need some guidance. Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

Good information.

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Really, I gone up there many times with no issues, there is no warning, how would one know? I do not believe this would be any different with any other models?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Does it not have a fiberglass roof like the other Solera's? I walk on my all the time and have never had a problem. But also if there is no ladder for roof assess then maybe take the warning.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

That was answered by bclemens before. Its a full walk on roof. Below his answer to a post from PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers
What the dealer service department told me was that the purpose of the built-in ladder was to make it easy to get up onto your roof for routine service.

The Solera 24R roof is not designed to be walked on. Therefore, there is no reason to have a ladder built-in.

Roofs are never to be used for extra storage space.

That is incorrect. The 24R is built just like the 24S (aluminum framed, full walk on). It is because of the rear slide that there is no ladder. I have not looked at it closely, but I'm not sure there IS a "narrow" ladder. Maybe someone here has seen one?

Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #6

Roof access 24r

I saw the earlier post by bclemens and asked the dealer. He said he did not know that is why I contacted Forest River and asked. I talked to Russ and he told me about the plywood. This is why I asked the question. Two different answers from Forest River. I just want to be safe and not blamed for any warranty issues. It makes no sense that you can walk on an S model and not an R.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #7

One of the personal reasons we did not buy the "R" model with no roof access and the 2013 model shower area was too cramped with a shower curtain. Wife really like the glass shower area on the 2013 "S" model. Happy Travels.
Capt Dan

Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Its true the shower area is tight in the 24R....but I rather had the queen size bed and exra room than the corner bed.....and for roof access I carry that one:
Best Choice Products® EN131 Std. 12.5Ft Aluminum Telescopic Tel?escoping Ladder Extension Exte?nd Loft - Telescoping Attic Ladder - Amazon.com
Lightweight, small and very easy to stow and no holes to drill and very useful!
Hans
Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

http://images.craigslist.org/00C0C_g...TZ_600x450.jpg

Saw this on Craigslist
Old 10-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
GM

I'm guessing the 1/4" plywood was a CYA response. The first time you put a chair up there to watch a race, the rubber tip is off the chair leg and it goes through the fiberglass...then we get a warranty claim.

I walk on them to inspect stuff as well. never had an issue. As always a large dose of common sense normally covers it.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof