Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Runnig lights gone too !

Here are a few corrections to my previous post for SoCal,

For a moment I though you had solve my problem. Last night, on my way home, people on the freeway were passing me flashin their lights. I discovered all my back running lights were shut down.

I read your post and found the fuse panel but all the fuses are good. With a voltmeter I was able to find that the power is going out of the fuse panel but not reaching the lights.

I supposed the tow hitch and the tow light connection are from Forest River or installed by the previous owner. Anyway, I do have power at that connector. Very wrong, the connection plug is well wired but FR did not respect the color code so the brown wire which is supposed to be the running lights is actually used for the RT flasher. The running light are connected to the green wire and, there too, no power.

I checked the continuity from the brown wire exiting the fuse box to the positive end of my left parking light and it read OK. I then jumped a wire from the fuse box to that light with no success.

I'm know suspecting a ground problem but do not know were is the common ground for all the running lights.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
Here are a few corrections to my previous post for SoCal,

For a moment I though you had solve my problem. Last night, on my way home, people on the freeway were passing me flashin their lights. I discovered all my back running lights were shut down.

I read your post and found the fuse panel but all the fuses are good. With a voltmeter I was able to find that the power is going out of the fuse panel but not reaching the lights.

I supposed the tow hitch and the tow light connection are from Forest River or installed by the previous owner. Anyway, I do have power at that connector. Very wrong, the connection plug is well wired but FR did not respect the color code so the brown wire which is supposed to be the running lights is actually used for the RT flasher. The running light are connected to the green wire and, there too, no power.

I checked the continuity from the brown wire exiting the fuse box to the positive end of my left parking light and it read OK. I then jumped a wire from the fuse box to that light with no success.

I'm know suspecting a ground problem but do not know were is the common ground for all the running lights.

Actually that is the way its supposed to be wired. A 7 way rv plug is not wired like normal 4 way flat.
whomever told you that the brown is running lights is wrong.
white is ground return
Blue is brakes
Green is tail license running
black is battery charge
red is stop and left turn
brown is stop and right turn
yellow is auxiliary
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

I'm even more confused now !!!!

I found this on the web:
7 Way RV Plug & Receptacle Wiring Diagram pictures from trucks photos on webshots

and this configuration is exactly how my 2003 Safari is wired and I have no lights problem when I attach a trailer to it.

On my Solera, I attach my trailer and no lights work.

I saw the diagram : The 7 Pole RV Electrical Plug
This is what you are refering to in your answer.
Right now, I have no power on the green wire when the parking lights are on.

I don't know, I'm a newbie !!! Does big F350 has 2 plugs ? One when pulling a fifth-wheel and anoter one when pulling a standard trailer ????

So much to learn and so little time !

Any help is appreciate.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Not sure but maybe this?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on the year, and who installed the 5th wheel hitch, a 350 could have two plugs. It also may have a separate fuse box under the hood for the trailer lights. Looks like it's time to check the owners manual.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

I went on Thumper Talks and found out I'm actually doing exactly the same thing, pulling my lights one by one.

So far, the back parking lights come on but goes out after 15 seconds then back on.

For my hitch connector, I guess I will rewire it so I can use it with a cargo trailer or a dolly. No sense to pull a camper trailer with my Solera .
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

I think I found a short wire. Of course, it is the longest one. The wire runs from the rear marker light up left to the front marker light up left. The simpliest way would be to run a new wire pulling on the old one but, of course, it is stuck solid.

I don't have the smallest clue how to solve that
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

More update: All my lights are removed and all my wires are disconnected between those lights, even the license plate one !

I have a couple of places reading 12 volts when I put the parking switch on but the voltage drops to 3-4 volts once in a while with no reason. I could notice it by the LED gatting weaker.
So I remove the LED also and got steady 12 volts now but, as soon as I tried to connect a bulb to it, the current drops to 0 volts. No fuse blown.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #9

do u have more than one 7 way plug on ur tow viehicle? i have an F-350 (2002). the factory installed 7 way plug, at the bumber, hasn't been a problem. the added one in the bed, has been. they used those blue clip on splices and i have had a couple of them corrode and loose connection. usually if u shake that area, the lights will either come back or flicker.
Cargo trailers are wired slightly different than travel trailer. all the connections are the same but the 12V on the cargo goes to the interior lights and not the battery. battery's function is for the electric brakes. i changed mine because i wanted the battery to charge when plugged into the vehicle and i wanted to be able to use the interior light in the trailer occasionally (while vehicle was disconnected).

the wire colors on the ford don't match the standard color code of the trailer wiring. the cover on the 7way on the Ford will have the pins and their function identified.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrodasdas View Post
More update: All my lights are removed and all my wires are disconnected between those lights, even the license plate one !

I have a couple of places reading 12 volts when I put the parking switch on but the voltage drops to 3-4 volts once in a while with no reason. I could notice it by the LED gatting weaker.
So I remove the LED also and got steady 12 volts now but, as soon as I tried to connect a bulb to it, the current drops to 0 volts. No fuse blown.
oh that sounds so much like what i experienced when i had a bad splice. worked fine with no load but with load, would drag to nothing.
if they are all doing it, check the ground.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You my friend have a bad ground
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #12

I finally did what I should have done at first.
I jumped a 12 volts wire directly at the start of the connection on the panel.
All lower lights came on just fine.

It may be I have 2 problems now.
First, no current from the Freightliner to the rear light panel. Probably a blown fuse but I have no idea which one and the owner manual is no help. Will phone Mercedes-Benz tomorrow.
Secundo: It does look like a short for the upper light but have no idea how to run a new wire, this will probably end at the RV repair shop.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #13

Looking for parking light fuse, Solera

Hi Guys,

To continue on my running light problem...

I have a Sprinter 3500 2010 and I'm trying to locate the fuse for the rear parking lights. The owner manual is no help.

The Sprinter was an incomplete vehicule sent to Forest River for completion.

I'm sure there is a fuse somewhere but God only knows where !
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #14

i would think the problem would be at either end of the wire and not the wire itself.
on my older trailer, they strung the running lights from one to the other. the wire was pulled up into a connector that would cut into it for connection. that would also be the end of the wire. in an adjacent slot, they would run a wire to the next light and so on. check the wiring at each light for good contact. u may be able to use a volt meter and see where the loss is happening. i would start at the first place i could get a check on the trailer side of the plug. if u aren't getting it there, u aren't getting it thru the plug at the vehicle.
with low voltage, it sounds like a poor connection somewhere rather than a short. splices are notorious for creating this kind of problem.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #15

Hi JimH,

That is exactly what I did and I already found the wire problem which is fixed now.
The other problem I have now is to find the fuse location to change it !
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If I remember correctly this unit is a tt. And there will be no fuse on the tt. It is all run from your tow vehicle.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #17

i took it as a travel trailer as well but i believe it is a motor home pulling a trailer.
sounds like he has his work cut out for him.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Oh boy
Old 09-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #19

Not a tt, it is a Solera, a motorhome mounted on a Freightliner chassis. Nothing unusual. Just need a wiring diagram for s 2010 Sprinter !
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
2018 FR3 30DS

Running lights

I don't know if this will help or not but it's worth a try. Beginning on page 272 of the Freightliner Sprinter Operator Manual is the section on fuses. There are 3 fuse blucks, one under the steering wheel, one in the battery compartment and one under the driver's seat next to the door. The block under the driver's seat may have the fuses that provide power to the wiring harness for the trailer.

I am finding lots of good information in the owner's manual (wish I had started looking there earlier). Of course, it is no help for the wiring in the living quarters that I know of....
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote