Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Running Board Issues

Well the other day I stepped out of the Solera's driver's door and heard a crack the step gave a little. Now while I am not at my High School weight anymore I still weigh less then 200lbs. Upon investigation, I discovered that the front of the fiberglass running board is held to the rocker panel using just 2 self tapping sheet metal screws... No washers. No metal reinforcement. Unbelieveable right?

One screw pulled out of the rocker panel and the other pulled through the fiberglass of the running board. Even worse is the fact that I noticed some rust stains coming from the holes that were made from the self tapping screws.

We are not sure how we will go about fixing this at this point but I think I will remove the Factory forest river piece and seek out an aftermarket piece that only attaches to the frame, if one is availible.

For what its worth, I recommend checking yours now before it fails. At least put some oversized washers on the underside of the fiberglass to keep the screws from pulling through. Maybe some silicone in the holes to prevent rust.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Just another example that quality control is on the weak side !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
The good thing is that your post will give me the opportunuity to reinforced mine before it cracks, thanks !

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
Canada in summer, FL-TX-LO-NM-AZ in winter !
Nights camped in: 2014-96, 2015-139, 2016-89
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #4

I inspected a new Solera 24S at a Washington state dealer last week. The driver's side running board was barely hanging on. Also, the 'fender' over the driver side rear wheel was also loose and had scratched the full-body due to vibration up and down during delivery or test drives. These bodywork failures were on a new unit, and didn't appear to be due to any misuse or collision. Although they could be fixed during dealer prep, it was suprising to see two such failures of the bodywork on a brand new unit. Perhaps there is an opportunity to improve how they are attached during manufacturing?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
GM

I did verify they are installed per the mfg installation instructions. I did notice today that our guys are installing an additional support strap that was not on the instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running Board 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	22238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Running Board 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	22239  
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Would also replace all screws, washers, nuts with stainless steel which is readily available from Lowes & HD.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Unhappy Drivers Step

I have the same problem. I tried to reinforce my step with SS screws and some reinforcing plastic bars. Didn't last long. I need to figure out how to reengineer the entire step.

Perhaps Freightliner can help.