Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

RV at rest-Plug in to 110 or Flip Master power (Battery) to off?

2014 Solera R..... Still new at this. If the RV is not being used for a month at a time do I plug into my house current (and not run the a/c ..I at least know that) or do I flip all power off at the master switch inside the door?

Sent from my M470BSA using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
Plugin! It is a battery tender also.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Unless you're going into it and need power regularly I'd just switch it off with the master then switch it back on and plug in about a week before leaving. No need just letting the converter run constantly and in three weeks a battery won't self discharge any measurable amount once all loads are removed.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

I keep mine plugged in and on. I have the AC on to keep it from getting to hot inside and to dehumidify (north Florida). If you are not on shore power, turn the battery master switch off when not being used. I also keep a battery tender on the chassis battery to take care of any parasite draw.
What I do is not really necessary all of the time, it is just how I like to do things.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I keep mine plugged in and on. I have the AC on to keep it from getting to hot inside and to dehumidify (north Florida). If you are not on shore power, turn the battery master switch off when not being used. I also keep a battery tender on the chassis battery to take care of any parasite draw.
What I do is not really necessary all of the time, it is just how I like to do things.
Are there any concerns with maintaining the tender on the chassis battery? It looks like to me that the battery is in a weather tight compartment under the driver's feet which doesn't seem to have built in venting.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #6

kidagn, there are extensive discussions on this topic within the Solera forum. I suggest you do a search and read up. Thats what helped me the most, well before joining this really helpful forum. IMHO
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
GM

Either turn the switch off. Or plug in and turn the switch ON. The charge line for the converter is installed behind the disconnect. So if you want to tend the batteries, it needs to be on.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

We leave our unit plugged in 24/7/365 unless towing or boon docking....battery switch always in on position that way if electric goes out fridge and other items work....just keep fluid checked in battery.....if your battery is good ..... requires very little other than some distilled water ..... I have added a jiggle once in two years....

good luck with whatever you choose to do plus keep fridge level as possible....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

I don't recommend keeping a trickle charger on the chassis battery or any battery, but a battery tender (I use the Battery Tender Plus) is a whole different animal. No problem with venting. If venting were an issue it would be a problem when the engine was running.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Once again thanks to all who responded!

Sent from my M470BSA using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
battery, power