Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Question Rv Garage

My wife and I just purchased a new 2015 Solera 24R and are lucky enough to be building a garage for it next spring. I am looking for any ideas I might copy and include in the build. I was thinking a 30 AMP service, high windows to keep the sun to a min. etc. We live at 7000 feet in Colorado and plan on insulating the building well, but are not sure about the best affordable way to heat it for example.
Thanks,
Randy B.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

My advice would be build it big enough for a class A. Many of us never thought we'd make the move up but did. If you decide later to do that, it will be major mods or new building.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

I would suggest you have it built twice as big and half again higher to accommodate your next UPgrade.

So I also suggest you go with a 50 amp outlet and then dog bone it down to 30.

As for heat, perhaps a used motor oil furnace.

https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&...or+oil+furnace

Pellet stove?

Sunburst Sales - Photos of Wood furnace, Outdoor wood burners, Corn furnace, Corn burner, Pellet stoves
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
My advice would be build it big enough for a class A. Many of us never thought we'd make the move up but did. If you decide later to do that, it will be major mods or new building.

Rich

Excellent advice!! If I happen to hear somebody talking about buying a pup I always tell them to just give in to the inevitable and get a 5th wheel and be done...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Always Learning

Electric (50amp+30amp receptacles), water, sewer and hookups for a friend (cough ependydad cough).
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

I agree with the above comments about going big and 50amp.

I have never heard any man say, "You know, I wish I would have made my garage smaller".
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

We have a local repair shop that has a used motor oil furnace. I would make sure you have availability to enough used oil to keep the building at the temp you want in the winter.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Excellent advice!! If I happen to hear somebody talking about buying a pup I always tell them to just give in to the inevitable and get a 5th wheel and be done...
That is exactly what my friend said to me 10 years ago. He thought for sure that I would do it when I decided to upgrage this July. NOT!!!

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

I agree with many of the suggestions above. My question simply is-- why are you feeling the need to heat the building? We have two large buildings here in Iowa that we keep our RV's in and they are not heated. We simply winterize the RV's and de-winterize them when we want to use them. I'd hate to think what would happen to your RV if for any reason you lost your ability to temporally heat your building for a few days in the middle of winter @ 7000 feet!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Until you see the Coachmen SportCoach, Berkshire or Charleston Class A's

Like was earlier said, Build the garage to hold a full up 40' long Class A with quad slides and you should be OK.

And yeah, full hook-up with sewer is a really good idea!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Talking

Sheet rock the inside, have a local artist paint the walls like your 2nd favorite camping spot.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I agree with many of the suggestions above. My question simply is-- why are you feeling the need to heat the building? We have two large buildings here in Iowa that we keep our RV's in and they are not heated. We simply winterize the RV's and de-winterize them when we want to use them. I'd hate to think what would happen to your RV if for any reason you lost your ability to temporally heat your building for a few days in the middle of winter @ 7000 feet!
X2. I would agree to insulate, but think of the cost to heat it. If you needed to tinker with it in the cold months, look into a propane fired torpedo heater. That would take the chill off in a short period of time. Also, place the windows in the normal position, the asthetics really do matter, over and sun issue. IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #13

I've got a garage most of the way through construction. It's an insulated steel building, 20x45 with a 14x14 door - should hold everything up to 40'.

I live in Tucson, so heat isn't much of an issue - but cooling can be. I've come up with a fan based system for heating and cooling, relying on Tucson's relatively large outside temperature changes and exhaust fans to bring cool air in at night in the summer and warm air in during the day in the winter.

Not sure how effective this system will be...but it's a whole lot cheaper than real heating and AC!
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
phat phrog stunt crew

Check out garage journal for some great ideas/ garage builds. You can spend as much time there as here.