Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #21

Toolman is setting himself up for a "Solera Convention." I'm planning on stopping by next summer (August) while on our Alaska Caravan. We'll probably depart the caravan for a couple of days to visit. Toolman lives in the part of Alaska that everyone MUST visit - Denali Park! And hoping to return the hospitality when he comes to the lower 48 next winter!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #22

Question

Probably a stupid question, but here goes. We are heading to Austin on Friday and Saturday is looking to be very cold (35 degrees). Does the furnace use propane if hooked up to campground electric? In Charleston when it got chilly, we just used the heat pump and it did fine ... but thinking if he gets real cold, we might want to use the actual furnace, especially to keep the dogs warm down on the floor when we aren't in the unit.

We have a portable heater that we are taking this time to use when we are there on the floor ... but don't want to run that when we are away.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Probably a stupid question, but here goes. We are heading to Austin on Friday and Saturday is looking to be very cold (35 degrees). Does the furnace use propane if hooked up to campground electric? In Charleston when it got chilly, we just used the heat pump and it did fine ... but thinking if he gets real cold, we might want to use the actual furnace, especially to keep the dogs warm down on the floor when we aren't in the unit.

We have a portable heater that we are taking this time to use when we are there on the floor ... but don't want to run that when we are away.
Stupid Question? Since when?

Most furnaces use propane (I say "Most" because some new rigs have ultra-modern "Fireplaces" that use electricity) In all
likelihood, your furnace uses propane so top the tanks off

Wal Mart & Other on-line places sell oil fin heaters & enclosed Ceramic heaters. My experience is with the Oil Heaters: The fin edges are cool to the touch, if they get tipped over they shut off (thinking pets here) have a thermostat (so they also work at keeping the interior of the unit above freezing when stored (and connected to shore power)

The Wal Mart Ceramic ones I have seen are @ $30. The oil heaters more expensive @ $75 - but they are also designed to work heating larger spaces:

Amazon.com - DeLonghi TRD0715T Safeheat 1500W Portable Oil-Filled Radiator with Vertical Thermal Tunnels
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:

Debbie, I have a 2011 24S. The furnace runs off propane/12v dc (for blower) regardless if you are hooked up to campground electric or not. Don't have a heat pump so can't answer that. (if it is a question).
The downside of using the furnace is that it consumes your propane fairly quickly (maybe overnight..don't really know). Like you, we use a small electric heater to heat with but won't leave it running when gone.

Have fun in Austin..
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:

If you're hooked up to 110V at campground, it will keep the battery charged to run the furnace fan, so battery shouldn't be a worry. But if you leave the coach and don't want to run the elec. heater, you have two choices!!! Either let the coach cool down, or use up some propane.

Becky and I camped in 25 degrees last month in VA mountains. We hung a comforter from the loft to seal off the cab so we didn't have to heat it, and ran the elec heater, and used an electric blanket on the bed. Worked GREAT - we were snug as a bug in a rug! Some of the best sleeping imaginable! Becky had also replaced the OEM loft curtain with one she made, and used insulated material for the backing, so we weren't heating the loft, either. We couldn't bring the slide in (Murphy bed!), but at night on your S you might bring the slide in so you don't have to heat the extra area!

If we're leaving the coach unattained, we just turn everything off, then when we get back we run the furnace AND the electric heater and it's surprising how quickly the coach warms up. Course, if you feel like you need to have a warm coach when you return, that's out!

But your heat pump should be good down to around 35 degrees - maybe less effective, but it will still put out some heat!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #26

We have a small electric heater that we use most of the time when camping to save on LP, we only use thee rigs heater if we need to warm things up faster.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #27

Thanks y'all

I appreciate it. Guess we will use the heat pump while we are gone from the coach and then, if we need to, put on the electric heater and the furnace when we return. I'll put some blankets down for the pups in their beds so they can make a nice cozy nest. We probably won't be gone from the coach that long in Austin (visiting son and daughter in law). But, will be gone for about 8 hours in Houston on Tuesday for work. However, I think it is going to be warmer by then anyway.

Thanks and I now know the furnace uses propane, a question I have wondered, but never asked.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #28

Quote:
I appreciate it. Guess we will use the heat pump while we are gone from the coach and then, if we need to, put on the electric heater and the furnace when we return. I'll put some blankets down for the pups in their beds so they can make a nice cozy nest.
Sounds like a plan!!
Have fun in Texas!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #29

I wish our puppies would use a bed of their own, but no way they have to sleep with mom and dad. Damn bed hogs.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I wish our puppies would use a bed of their own, but no way they have to sleep with mom and dad. Damn bed hogs.
Ours sleep with us as well, but only when we are in the bed in the Solera. The older one can't jump up to it and the younger one is a woose and wants to be picked up and put on the bed!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Ours sleep with us as well, but only when we are in the bed in the Solera. The older one can't jump up to it and the younger one is a woose and wants to be picked up and put on the bed!
Talk about a bed hog! Mistie hops up on the bed as soon as we fold it down - before we have a chance to straighten the covers, etc... and she lays crossways on the bed and looks at us like we're intruders if we try to get her to make room for us! She's not there in the morning when we wake up, but as soon as she know's we're awake, she hops right back up and stays there until we start to store the bed! Disgusting when you have to have your dog's permission to do anything!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #32

You got to love them, last year when we were out our Yorkie was sleeping under the blanket when our other dog a Russel/Yorkie mix jumped up on the bed and stepped on her. OMG I thought we were going to have a dog fight right there and then.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
Northern Most Member ?

13larry,
We picked up our 24R in Michigan last June and drove it home to Denali, it was a fantastic trip other then an alternator failure in BC Canada.

As Taylorgso mentioned we are currently excepting Solera camping reservations at our house....

Seriously if you do decide to drive up make sure to contact us when \ if your in the Denali Park area. We have lived here over 30 years and can help you with logistics.

We have Bernese Mt. Dogs and they currently are sleeping outside on the back deck at -15. When we travel they love to sleep on the bed with us but its either them or us.....with their thick hair they eventually get hot and end up on the floor anyway.

I am currently in So. Calif and its 37 outside this AM. The locals are dressed like they are leaving for an Antarctic expedition....
Feels like summer to me!!
Guess its all about what your use to.....
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #34

Yes it is sad, Winter is just getting started here in wis. this morning had temp. of 1 degreeand snow on the ground need to be camping.

3450rl fifth wheel
2500hd chev.
mikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
10x

I like to visit up North in the winter, but glad to come home to Florida. Sunny and 83 here today!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #36

Traveling in our Solera today - currently east of Houston. Very, very windy, raining and cold :-(. Hopefully it gets better further west. Solera is hanging in there, but if we hadn't changed the sway bar - we would not be on the road! I hate winter.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
Robert Mayberry

Hi Mr. Toolman,

We are in San Francisco Bay area. If you are still in southern CA and intend to eventually come north give us a call @ 925-788-9056 There are some very nice places to camp in this area. My email is robert.mayberry@comcast.net

Also would like to get your email as I think my wife is going to have us headed to Alaska in the next year or so.

Bob & Tina Mayberry
2011 Solera S
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote