Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Good point... But depending on the filter (and quality) I do not think most would do anything to the chlorine. But, I remove our filter because I do not want to soak it in the bleach.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Last spring I just added some water to the fresh tank, then poured in some bleach, then added more water.

But getting the bleach into the tank was a bit of a pain. Probably spilled 2x what I got in the tank.

I think this spring I'll either:

A) put some bleach directly in the filter canister, then run water through.

Or

B) make a solution in a separate jug and use the antifreeze pickup.

Not sure which way I want to go yet. A is easier and more likely the way I'll go if I'm feeling lazy. B gets more components.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
A funnel won't fit in your FW inlet?
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Last spring I just added some water to the fresh tank, then poured in some bleach, then added more water.

But getting the bleach into the tank was a bit of a pain. Probably spilled 2x what I got in the tank.

I think this spring I'll either:

A) put some bleach directly in the filter canister, then run water through.

Or

B) make a solution in a separate jug and use the antifreeze pickup.

Not sure which way I want to go yet. A is easier and more likely the way I'll go if I'm feeling lazy. B gets more components.

__________________________________________________ ________

An easy fix is to get a medium sized Funnel a length of clear hose and a hose clamp to fit the outlet of the funnel ....Mark it 'Water Only' and use it for adding the bleach to the 'Water Fill' point on your rig.

Hope this helps

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #25

I use a funnel designed for adding transmission fluid. Has long flexible tube already attached. I use the same funnel for adding antifreeze to my pool lines.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
Old 11-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #26

" I think what they mean is not to have just straight bleach not diluted sitting in your tank".

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I always put some water in the tank first and then add straight bleach. Of course, I always remove the in-line water filter first.

Thanks!
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

[QUOTE=Islander;1045003]__________________________________________________ ________

An easy fix is to get a medium sized Funnel a length of clear hose and a hose clamp to fit the outlet of the funnel ....Mark it 'Water Only' and use it for adding the bleach to the 'Water Fill' point on your rig.

Hope this helps

Yep, that's the same as I do. I've owned RVs for years and sanitize a minimum of twice annually. . .never had a problem with this method.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #28

"How much bleach are you using??"

I follow the RVIA and ANSI A119.2 and the U.S. Public Health Service procedures (with the exception of mixing the bleach into a water container).

New Page 1
Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #29

All this talk about diy solutions to getting the bleach into the water tank got me to thinking ... why isn't there a dedicated device to do all of this - mix up the bleach with some water and then funnel it into the inlet?

Well, thinking about it a bit more, I realized that such a device (more-or-less) does exist - one of those plastic watering cans with a long, curving spout. Here's one at Home Depot for less than $8:
Bloem 1.125 gal. Tequila Sunrise Aqua Rite Watering Can-JW41-20 - The Home Depot
It holds somewhat more than a gallon, making mixing easy, and has a long spout which should work just fine with the gravity water inlet.

Think I'll have to get one...

Dave
Old 11-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
All this talk about diy solutions to getting the bleach into the water tank got me to thinking ... why isn't there a dedicated device to do all of this - mix up the bleach with some water and then funnel it into the inlet?

Well, thinking about it a bit more, I realized that such a device (more-or-less) does exist - one of those plastic watering cans with a long, curving spout. Here's one at Home Depot for less than $8:
Bloem 1.125 gal. Tequila Sunrise Aqua Rite Watering Can-JW41-20 - The Home Depot
It holds somewhat more than a gallon, making mixing easy, and has a long spout which should work just fine with the gravity water inlet.

Dave

Now that's using the ol'noodle!

Old 11-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #31
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post

Dave
Then, if you have any left over, water the flowers....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I recently read more than one "How To" that stated never add pure bleach to the RV fresh water tank. I always have and then immediately fill the tank with fresh water. I know many others do as well. Anyone know why I shouldn't add directly?

Thanks
Do not add water to chemical!!!!!!
ALWAYS ADD CHEMICAL TO WATER!!!!!!
If it sounds like I'm yelling, I am. I learned the hard way. 46 years ago as a high school senior in Chemistry class I added a chemical to water and don't remember which chemical, but you don't forget when a chemical blows up in your face. I was lucky and didn't lose my sight. I just don't want to see anyone else go through this. Just form the habit of never adding water to chemical, always chemical to water, please!!!
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I recently read more than one "How To" that stated never add pure bleach to the RV fresh water tank. I always have and then immediately fill the tank with fresh water. I know many others do as well. Anyone know why I shouldn't add directly?

Thanks
I even reversed it in my post. It should be do not add water to chemical.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #34

Bleach

I just pour some in, fill tank and if I can smell it I figure it's OK. Don't flush it because we don't drink it and on a several day trip things are going to get flushed out anyway. Don't drain anything for the whole season, just re-do the bleach and refill the tank. Done this way since 81. Traveling will slosh it around a lot better than filling and draining.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #35

Some units won't let you just pour in liquid, it must be under pressure. I found this hose-end sprayer at Tractor Supply (under $10). I remove the spray end and hook the hose for the RV to it, and a garden hose to the other end. Then fill the bucket with the right amount of bleach, and turn it on till FW tank is full. This dilutes automatically on the way in, and also sanitizes the hose as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprayer.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	95198  
Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #36
Dahagen

I use 1/2 cup for my 45 gallon water tank. Too much bleach and you will never get the taste out. Fill and rinse fresh water tank several times afterwords. It is only necessary to do this if you have not used your fresh water tank for several months. Water takes a long time to go bad in the tank.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
A funnel won't fit in your FW inlet?

It does, but all I had on hand was an ordinary kitchen funnel. Those are only meant to be used upright and with the way the inlet is that's impossible.

I really need to pick up one of those automotive funnels my dad used to use to fill the tank back when I was a kid. That'd be flexible enough to use.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #38

Quote:
It does, but all I had on hand was an ordinary kitchen funnel. Those are only meant to be used upright and with the way the inlet is that's impossible.

I really need to pick up one of those automotive funnels my dad used to use to fill the tank back when I was a kid. That'd be flexible enough to use.

See my post #25. That's what I use. Designed for adding transmission fluid. Funnel and attached tube are plastic with the tube being very flexible.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
Old 11-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #39
Canadian Contingent

I don't get all in a flap about it.

I connect the hose to my RV, put a couple of oz's in the water hose free end, connect to water source and run it into the tank. I never have enough in there that I have an odor to deal with and no bad taste. Sanitizes the hose as well.
I treat it on fill up in the spring and drain my fresh tank in the fall so no water sits.

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #40

Where was this stated and in what context was it meant?
Only one issue I can think of if not properly used is some seal somewhere, but if used correctly it is needed, and very safe.
Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote