Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Sanitizing water system in 2013 Solera

I know this has been discussed many places, but each item seems to leave me with questions. Maybe someone can give me the definitive answers to some of mine:

When my brand new 2013 Solera was de-winterized in later April the tank was not sanitized. I did not ask that the folks I hired to help do that as I didn't know that was the time to do it.

The fresh water tank is now about 2/3rds full, and has been for over a month. All camping has been done with city water available, so the tank hasn't been used. I will be dry camping for several days next week and finally figured out this needed doing. I will probably never be brave enough to not use bottled water for drinking, but want to be sure the tanks are properly cared for.

My understanding from my reading is that I should sanitize it like this (All questions set out here...):

1. Drain the tank, using the valves in the small compartment inside and at the back of the big storage compartment.
2. Add a half cup bleach to a couple of gallons of water.
3. Pour the bleach solution into my fresh water hose with a funnel, attach it to the fresh water intake (not the city water intake by the drain pipes), and to my home spigot, and fill the tank.

4. At this point, do I turn on the water pump to get the solution to all the lines?

If so, does the water run thru the water filter located under the bed?

If so, does the filter need to be removed before the water is pushed around by the pump, then replaced when this process is completed?

I don't know how to take out and put back the water filter properly...suggestions?

The water heater would be off, but what about the water in the hot water tank? Does anything in particular have to be done about that water, or is the fresh water just circulated into that from the fresh water tank, as it is to the faucets?

5. Assuming the water pump has moved the chlorinated fresh water thru the system, including the hot water tank, am I to drive around for awhile, then let it sit overnight?

6. Then do I run all the faucets til the all chlorinated water has run to the grey tank, or do I drain the fresh water tank (again using the valve in the small compartment at the back of the storage area) onto the ground?

7. I assume then I fill the fresh water tank again to clear it of chlorine, run the faucets again, to clear them, drain the rest of the fresh water tank, then fill again for my dry camping trip.

I have well water, so assume I will need to do this maybe every month during camping season, correct?

Your patience with my many questions is greatly appreciated...
Marionap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

Well, I've been waiting for someone with knowledge to answer you. I haven't done any of these things and do drink the water. Haven't keeled over yet!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Debbie...thanks! At least I know if I don't sanitize it won't be the end of the world. I probably asked too many questions for anyone to want to take the time to respond. Can't say I blame them.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The recommended amount of bleach for sanitizing is 1/4 cup for every 15 gal of tank capacity. If the fresh water tank only has a hose connection, you can pour the bleach into the hose before hooking it up.

The filter should be removed...there should be a plastic filter wrench that fits on the outside of the filter housing.

Fill the FW tank, turn on the pump and open all faucets until you can smell chlorine including the hot water side.

I let it sit overnight then drain the tank, refill with fresh water and open all faucets and let run a while....then repeat. You shouldn't be able to detect a strong chlorine smell when you're done.

If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find several related threads.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Robert Mayberry

Yep, been drinking ours out of the tank for two years. Still alive and haven't done any of this either.

Only problem we have is that we have gone through three water pumps and now need another. Nobody can seem to understand why.

Bob & Tina
2011 Solera
Point Richmond, CA
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Adding to Dave's excellent message, the Solera has a gravity fill for the fresh water tank. Just pour the diluted bleach mixture into the tank using a funnel (make sure there is enough room in the tank and wear old clothes - remember tie die?). Remember the "outside shower", shower and toilet. Unless you have a "taste and odor" element in your filter, I think removing the element is optional. As to frequency, "it depends". If you use frequently and don't get any bad water on fills, I think a couple times a year is sufficient. Obviously, if you smell or taste anything "funny", it is time.
Somewhere on this forum is a method of using swimming pool "shock" chlorine in very small quantities to maintain sanitization.
Please excuse typos. This is coming to you pecked out on a Kindle Fire from our camp on the Homer Alaska Spit. The Solera is doing great on this trip, by the way.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Homer Alaska! Wow. Eat some king crab legs from the Hillstrand boys! (Deadlist Catch)
Old 06-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

Thank you all so much! Dave, I will try to get brave and remove the filter....I do have the wrench. I think I read that chlorine ruins the charcoal in the filter so that is probably important to remove. Thank you for your clear and simple description of the procedure, which answered all the questions in my wordy message. Jleising, thanks for your additional thoughts....and eat some of that crab for me, too! Homer...I am so jealous. Debbie and Bob/Tina, so glad to know that if I can't this done properly I won't keel over either. You're all so great!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Adding to Dave's excellent message, the Solera has a gravity fill for the fresh water tank. Just pour the diluted bleach mixture into the tank using a funnel (make sure there is enough room in the tank and wear old clothes - remember tie die?). Remember the "outside shower", shower and toilet. Unless you have a "taste and odor" element in your filter, I think removing the element is optional. As to frequency, "it depends". If you use frequently and don't get any bad water on fills, I think a couple times a year is sufficient. Obviously, if you smell or taste anything "funny", it is time.
Somewhere on this forum is a method of using swimming pool "shock" chlorine in very small quantities to maintain sanitization.
Please excuse typos. This is coming to you pecked out on a Kindle Fire from our camp on the Homer Alaska Spit. The Solera is doing great on this trip, by the way.
Did you drive to AK or use the AK Marine Highway? I would love to drive to Homer and catch them barn door halibuts..Generally use North Country Charters.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Another $.02 worth:
After sanitizing the tank with bleach, you can make up a solution of Bicarb of Soda - about 1/4 cup per half tank; drive a couple miles and let that slosh around the tank. It will remove any of the clorine taste. Be sure and run some through your lines. Then fill tank with fresh water, run some through your lines, and drain. You're ready to go.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

I used pretty much the same procedure but used a lot more bleach, not knowing what the previous owner had or hadn't done to the water system. Just make sure you use unscented bleach, and rinse thoroughly.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_movin View Post
Did you drive to AK or use the AK Marine Highway? I would love to drive to Homer and catch them barn door halibuts..Generally use North Country Charters.
Sent a PM. Don't want to hijack this thread.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #13

This got me to thinking, I put about a cup of clorox in my curbside trash can to keep the smell down. Would it cause any harm to the toilet or black water tank if I did the same?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
This got me to thinking, I put about a cup of clorox in my curbside trash can to keep the smell down. Would it cause any harm to the toilet or black water tank if I did the same?
It will cause a ton of harm to any septic system you dump your tank into (kills the good bacteria that septic systems rely on).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #15

Ok thanks. Figured there was a reason.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #16

Thought I would share this link in response to the orignial post
How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #17

If you already have water in the fresh water tank, leave it there and use the proper amount of bleach for a full tank and then fill it up. I remove my filter after I release the pressure on the lines by shutting off the pump and then open up a tap.. Run the bleached water through the water lines via your pump until you can smell the bleach in the water coming out of the taps, both hot and cold. Remember your outside shower. You can also just use the city water connection to clean your water lines and water heater only. Pour the required amount of bleach into a hose, connect to the trailer and run it into the water lines that way. Don't open up the taps until you're able to go to each one and wait for the bleach smell in the water. I usually let the water in the tank sit overnight before I flush it out with fresh water.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #18

The owners manual explains the entire process and requirements very well. I just follow it.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #19

Thanks all. I knew the steps were in the manual, but they left me with questions. Taking the filter out now seems to be my sticking point. Thanks again!