Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Blue Hen State

Satellite installation

Can a wineguard travler be installed on a Solera 24r. Do I have enough room for operation. By reading prior posts and determining that roof will support me, fox news could broadcast from roof as well. I am contemplating a self install as I have lost confidence in my rv dealer. During walk through virtually every question I attempted to have more detail on was side stepped from def fluid compacity and usage to speaker system use. Found fob in drawer after getting home and finally figured out Big Foot stabilizer operation. So am wary of rv expert techs. I live in Delaware and if I don't feel comfortable may opt for Camping World in Swedesboro NJ. Any info, recommendations, suggestions welcome. If avail will install Kenwood/Garmin gps and sway bar and steel valve extenders w/ tpms. ......need the satellite to watch eagles from the Linc parking lot. Can't afford the seats with this grocery list. Thanks in advance for advice.
Blufinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Commercial Member

You could, but I'd recommend a VUE cube or a tailgater. Those are portable and need no power....power comes through the coax from the receiver.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Blue Hen State

satellite

Would like portable, from what I have read only 1 dish picks up direct tv hd and that eliminates a bunch of channels.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Commercial Member

DirecTV is the problem. They went to a narrower band (Ka) and makes it very difficult.

Dish on the other hand, I have seen working in person and it works well. They also have a mobile plan, so you only pay the months you want it. It still has to switch between Satellites for some channels, but the pause is ever so slight.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Blue Hen State

satellite

Thanks bclemens, have to stick with direct tv since receiver only $6 xtra a mo and nfl package. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
2018 FR3 30DS

Satellite receivers

We purchased the VrQube VQ2100. This model is automatic and will support Dish, DirectTV and Bell. (don't know what Bell is). It works of 110 AC. There are two wires,,,one is the coax cable that goes to our Direct TV box and the other is the power wire that tells the Vu Qube to find the satellite. Both wires are 50 feet long and I enclosed them in wireloom to keep from getting tangled up. We have used this in several states and it has never failed to lock on the satellite.
Just looked at the cost and they are $644 on Vu Qube web site.
Also downloaded the app on our cell phones to find the satellite..here's the link to the web site...I think it was about $20 but worth every penny.
Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
We keep a Direct TV box in the motorhome and are able to see the same as we see at home....
We don't pay any extra to do this since it's a box from home,,,
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Blue Hen State

Thanks for info slow movin ! Just one question if I go with the cube doesn't that eliminate all hd channels ? Or does it mean I pick them up, just not in hd. All the premium channels and nfl sunday package are broadcast in hd and if I can't pick them up on std its a deal breaker. Again thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
2018 FR3 30DS

Blufinz...We use a standard non hd box when we use the satellite receiver. We do get some premium channels but they are not in hd...I don't know if we could get hd if we had an hd box or not....never tried it.
Just referenced Vu Qube site and you cannot get hd w/Direct TV but you can Dish...
The Vu Qube they have now that's equivalent to mine has had some changes made...it appears as if there is only a coax cable now and not a power cord with it...
Hope this helps..
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

At this time, the only automatic HD solution for Directv is the Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav'ler (or the non-SWM Trav'ler). Earlier this year before we took delivery of the MH, Amazon had it for $1,200 but as soon as the season started it jumped just above $1,550 (I don't think the SWM upgrade contributed to the price increase very much). We want HD (have the 42" HD Vizio in the Entertainment Center) but can wait for the price to drop back down toward the end of the season. Besides, we live in Upstate NY and it should be snowing next week ;o)

So the Trav'ler is the only solution for us (Directv, HD, and Automatic). Besides, we got Directv back in 1995 when they had under 150,000 subscribers and we'd like to think we helped pay for at least one satellite....

However, I read on a thread about someone who has a manual carry out antenna on a 50' cord because with a roof mounted solution, trees and other obstructions may block the view to the satellite. So our plan is to put the Trav'ler on the roof with an easily removable mount. If our camp site has no obstructions - OK. If not, we'll use the 50' cable and set in on a ground (we'll build a ground station for it).

Understand, the Trav'ler has no idea if it is on the roof of your motorhome, or if it is on a ground stand 50' from the motorhome in a "ground stand". As stated earlier, Directv has a narrow window for HD alignment and is very difficult to do by hand. Signal meters for Directv HD cost about $400 to properly align. Even if we weren't going to do a "removable" roof mount and do only carry out, we'd get the Trav'ler!
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Commercial Member

To get HD on DirecTV you need a BIG dish due to the Ka band they use. That's why none of the mobile options for Direct get HD.

Tags
satellite