Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Schwintek Controller Problem...

So I'm trying to get my Solera ready for a trip to cooler weather. Part of the process involved putting some RV antifreeze into the outside shower head...which seems to have been accomplished. (And now it's also wrapped with lots of foil / bubble wrap insulation.)

To do this, I used the "Winterize" valve for the water pump source and pumped antifreeze from a 1 gallon bottle. I began seeing pink out of the hose after about half a bottle...ran it a bit more to make sure...shut everything down...and went about the process of clearing the antifreeze out of the rest of the water lines in the coach.

When I got done with all of that, I discovered pink water in the outside compartment by the water pump. I'm not exactly certain what happened - the water pump doesn't seem to leak now that it's pumping from the tank - but I think maybe some of the antifreeze leaked out of the pickup hose while I was pumping it through the system.

In any case, I cleaned up the antifreeze and all seemed good until I realized that one of my Schwintek slide controllers was flashing red lights. Not a good sign. Several resets and retries later, it's still flashing 8 reds and 1 green, indicating a short between the controller and motor 1. Say - who's idea was it to stick these open circuit board controllers into the same bay with the water pump, et al???

Anyway, I made some effort to dry things up more around the controller and it's motor plugs, etc., but it's still flashing lights. I've left the compartment open and I'm hoping things will dry out over night and be good by morning. But I'm far from convinced.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Will drying overnight alleviate the situation? Or am I gonna need a new controller...and, if I do need a new one, how likely am I to find a new controller lying around somewhere (like, say, my dealer)? Or am I stuck with no bedroom slide until something arrives by pony express?

Sleepless in Tucson

Dave

Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

One update - I think I may understand where the water came from.

During the process of winterizing the shower I uninstalled and reinstalled the inline water filter (under the bed) several times. I always have a problem with that water filter - it's in an awkward location...and it's full of water. Anyway, I did spill quite a bit of it - both water (when the filter cartridge was in) and antifreeze (when it wasn't). I was prepared with towels and such but I'm thinking that some of the water and/or antifreeze found it's was to the basement ...

Dave

Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is the status still the same? Have you tried unplugging the motor lead at the controller and re-seating it? Low heat from a hair dryer to help dry it up?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

Yup, status seems to be the same...though I've actually had it flash problems on both motor 1 and motor 2. Hmmm.

Anyway, it spent the night with first heat (light bulb) and then 4 or 5 hours of fan blowing on it. No apparent change.

I've reseated both motor leads. I'm contemplating taking the unit out, taking it apart, and cleaning things up. I think if it was just water that got to it, it would have dried out and the problem might have cleared up. But the RV antifreeze is pretty sticky stuff and I suspect it doesn't really dry out completely (at least, not for a while!)

Anyway, I'm in Tucson so I think I'll spend some time on the phone to see if anyone has one in stock. Even with all the RVs around, I'm guessing that's not likely!

Dave
Old 11-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

And, despite the circumstances, there's always a chance that there's a short in the wiring somewhere...
Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

Latest update...

After calling around to parts places in Tucson, without luck, I realized that I do have two of these controllers, so I could at least verify that it's the controller and not the wiring.

First I verified that the LR slide controller was working correctly. With that verified, I took everything apart. Getting access to the controllers meant taking the black panel (between the compartment and the water pump, etc.) off. Once that was done it was fairly easy to take the wires off the controllers (noting where each one was supposed to go). I took the LR controller completely out...plugged the BR wires into the LR controller...and verified that the BR slide now worked correctly.

Since it's a 24R, I'm more interested in having the BR slide work...so I took the bad one out, and screwed the good one down in it's place.

Now I've got the bad one apart. I checked it pretty carefully but didn't see any signs of broken traces or fried components. I've cleaned up the back of the board with flux remover and dabbed the result off with a damp paper towel. It's drying now and I'll put it back in shortly.

All in all, this seems like a success so far - even if the controller remains unusable, I'll have the BR slide working and now I know how to take everything apart. Maybe I'll even get it all back together!

Stay tuned for further updates.

Dave
Old 11-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Having faced this many times with broadcast equipment in the rain displacing moisture is only secondary to pulling the power first. Grab a zip lock and rice. Put the circuit board in there and leave all closed up overnight.

Any moisture under a component on a circuit board cause erratic operation or even may have damaged something with power left on.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Grab a zip lock and rice.
Good idea - the bag, rice and circuit board are sitting in the warm sunshine as I write.

But...the saga continues ...

So, with the slide controller issue on hold, I continued with my winterization plans (another topic...)

I turned on the water pump and ran water through the kitchen faucet to make sure that the water lines were purged of air. Having done that, I shut off the faucet...but the water pump kept pumping...slowly. So, I thought, maybe the tank is empty. Checked the gauge and, sure enough, it looked empty. So I filled it.

But the pump just kept on running! No open faucets, no water running inside, no water coming from the low point drains (a previous problem). So I go to look at the pump...and there's water dripping from one of the screw holes which had been used to hold the black panel in place. Not sure what they screwed into - something above the forward back corner of that compartment.

And then I noticed a slow leak coming from the "winterize" valve. When installing the valve, they'd missed the convenient mounting hole and screwed right into the body of the valve.

So...I put a screw back into the valve body...so it's not leaking at the moment. I tried putting a screw up into the ceiling, but that didn't seem to be enough. So I put some sealer on the screw and tried again...but I don't hold out much hope.

I'm supposed to be leaving town with the Solera on Monday, but I'm beginning to think that's not gonna happen!

Dave
Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #9

Another update...

Looking more closed at the hose which I think is leaking (I can't actually see the part of the hose with the leak...) I think it's the main line from the water pump to the rest of the coach. It's a white braided line - not a blue or red piece of pex - but it disappears into the ceiling of the outside compartment and where it goes I know not.

Given this problem, and the likelihood (I think) that it will take some significant effort to get access to the problem location and replace that section of hose, I'm now thinking that the Solera is destined to spend the next couple of weeks in Arizona while I spend them on the road and in Colorado.

Oh well. All part of the adventure...

Dave
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #10

Hey Dave
I know this is way late with the controller issue but here are instructions on how todo a reset and manual overide. It may help you later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InWall Service-Web.pdf (1.85 MB, 102 views)

Tags
controller