Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Screen rooms

I originally thought an automatic awning that retracts in high sustained winds was a great idea. And it is for short trips. However, if setting up for weeks or months it would be nice to be able to add a screened room. I'm pretty sure this isn't possible with the Solera awning, but would like to know if anyone has added a screened room, experiences, thoughts, ideas, etc.
Thanks!
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
This is why we did not get an electric awning....I like to do it myself!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Take The Road Less Travld

I thought I read somewhere that there is a disable function for the auto retract option on those awnings?
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #4

I recently installed a Patty O'Room on my travel trailer. The initial installation was a pain and took over an hour. You have to drill holes into your siding to install twist pins that fit into eyelets on the fabric of the room. I was hesitant to do this but the finished product is not horribly noticible when the room is not attached and it makes subsequent installation of the room very easy and quick ~ 15-20 minutes.

The room includes privacy panels that roll up out of the way when you don't need them. I also like the fact that you don't have to take down the room in high winds or storms. The panels are staked down and prevent the awning from being blown away. My grandkids like to sleep inside the room instead of in the trailer.

All in all, I recommend this product. It's expensive (about $700) but worth it in my opinion. And, I've received lots of complements on it from fellow campers.

I bought mine at Camping World.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Who has an electric awning that retracts in high winds????

Unless it was some aftermarket item, the Solera doesn't. That is a power awning, but it does not auto retract. That's a whole other type and will have a wind sensor on the roof.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Awning poles negate the need to retract in high winds/rain and allow screens to be used on the power awnings also.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Who has an electric awning that retracts in high winds????

Unless it was some aftermarket item, the Solera doesn't. That is a power awning, but it does not auto retract. That's a whole other type and will have a wind sensor on the roof.
Maybe there thinking "auto dump feature" ?
[emoji90] [emoji102]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Take The Road Less Travld

My auto dump feature includes the main pole bending in half lol

Take The Road Less Traveled!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

The auto dump is one of the biggest jokes of the century. It's sales propaganda and nothing but hogwash! IMO
Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

Thanks!

Thank you BClemens!! I must have either heard wrong or been looking at another RV at the time. Will now look into awning poles AND screen rooms.
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolera View Post
Thank you BClemens!! I must have either heard wrong or been looking at another RV at the time. Will now look into awning poles AND screen rooms.
FWIW, you will find if you hang sun screens from a power awning, you will need some kind of poles to hold the awning tube. The Dometic/A&E adjustable arms are NOT strong enough to hold the screens.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

Found that my auto dump doesn't do it till almost too late. Also found that if there is the slightest bit of water on the awning it wont retract and I have to force the dump by pulling down on the center of one of the arms before I can retract the awning. Is there an adjustment somewhere that I can do to make it dump sooner?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
FWIW, you will find if you hang sun screens from a power awning, you will need some kind of poles to hold the awning tube. The Dometic/A&E adjustable arms are NOT strong enough to hold the screens.

I respectfully disagree. I use my sunscreen all the time without poles, on a 21' awning. Simply tighten the adjustment knob and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I respectfully disagree. I use my sunscreen all the time without poles, on a 21' awning. Simply tighten the adjustment knob and you're good to go.
To each his own, the knobs on the flimsy channels will eventually loosen when the wind starts blowing. Had it happen in FL on our 18' awning. With the poles, I don't even bother to tighten the knobs. Had the same thing happen years ago on manual awnings, but you young folks have to learn the same way us old foggies did.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Found that my auto dump doesn't do it till almost too late. Also found that if there is the slightest bit of water on the awning it wont retract and I have to force the dump by pulling down on the center of one of the arms before I can retract the awning. Is there an adjustment somewhere that I can do to make it dump sooner?
Why not just pull one side down and tighten the knob. Then the water just sheds off the whole time...no collecting.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The auto dump is one of the biggest jokes of the century. It's sales propaganda and nothing but hogwash! IMO
The auto dump propaganda function of my 20 foot awning works like a champ. From the excessive, flooding amount of rain in Colorado to the intermittent thunderstorm downpours in Texas. Of course I have only relied upon it's feature for 3 years.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #17

I hung screens on mine sans poles...its 50/50 whether the arms stay up...the knobs really arent the best thing...if you have gorilla strength like my wife says I do, you can torque em down and it helps....

Ive witnessed the "auto dump" work many times....none the less I dont like it...its sudden, loud, and dramitic...and I cant see gallons of h20 pooling on the awning a good thing. .

When all said and done, I use screens, tilt a lil to one side, and then use poles.....a solution for every situation...for me at least
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #18

I have the auto retract option on my rig, but it has a separate power switch to disable it. i just installed a patio room and will be testing it out in 2 weeks in Florida....It is 20' long.
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why not just pull one side down and tighten the knob. Then the water just sheds off the whole time...no collecting.
The person who had my unit before me didn't have the adjustable arm on the awning and it stretched a little in the middle. So now even if I tilt it a small amount still collects in the middle and it just will not go in even with that little bit on it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #20

Since this thread isn't that old and I have a very similar question, here it goes:

We have a Solera power awning (I believe made by Lippert) and for longer trips I would like to consider getting a screen room, knowing we will need to provide additional support for the awning itself. However, on my particular trailer, the outside door is very close to one end of the awning. Would it even be possible to install a Patty-o-Room? Here's a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerawning.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	64158
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo