Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Sewer Hose Compartment

Newbie here. The sewer hose does not fit in the sewer hose compartment -- the ends on it are too big. What am I missing? Do most of you remove the connectors from the hose before storing it (or is there another clever use for the compartment)?
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Team

I store my flag pole in the rear bumper. My sewer hose, connections and gloves etc are stored in a sealed plastic container in the pass through.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I store my flag pole in the rear bumper. My sewer hose, connections and gloves etc are stored in a sealed plastic container in the pass through.

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Grind or cut the ears off that stick out from the connectors.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
X3
Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

I store mine coiled up in the compartment. I store an extra one in the storage areA provided in the compartment by forest river in case I need 2 hoses.
I'll try to post a pix if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
Newbie here. The sewer hose does not fit in the sewer hose compartment -- the ends on it are too big. What am I missing? Do most of you remove the connectors from the hose before storing it (or is there another clever use for the compartment)?
Welcome. Let me suggest that you need to ask a specific question(as you did) but you need to also include your equipment, other wise you get responses that do not answer your question, from owners of RV's that do not have your SOLERA configuration. Yes, you would think that you posting to the Solera forum, would let readers know that is what your driving, but many just chime in without reading your specific equipment. So, putting it in the text, might get you more focused answer. Just sayin'

Now to your question, the flex hose that has the black locking end, goes into the holder black locking end out. The compartment is designed to hold one hose that has one locking end. That should allow you to close the storage door. Hope that helps.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

Quote:
With my 24R I remove the end and put on the caps. The hose easily fits in the tank drain compartment. The built in hose storage is useless except for the hose that came with the unit. Or like others mentioned cut off the tabs.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

Thank you for the tips. It sounds like I need to remove the ends to get it to fit in the compartment (Solera 24S) or just use a plastic storage container.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
2012 Solera 24S

Quote:
Thank you for the tips. It sounds like I need to remove the ends to get it to fit in the compartment (Solera 24S) or just use a plastic storage container.
Char,

You're right, that little sewer hose storage area is almost worthless. I cleaned mine up and use it to store my pressure reducing valve and misc water fittings.

In my 24S, I use the storage compartment immediately to the left of the sewer compartment for storing the sewer hose. Do yourself a favor and get a clear 45 degree elbow and a RhinoFlex kit. That way you can see when your flush is clean and the elbow makes connecting quite a bit easier.

What year is your Solera? On my 2012 24S, I also had to enlarge the sewer bulkhead opening. A problem I believe they fixed in later years.

Nats
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #11

I have a 24R. I cut some 4 inch PVC pipe to length so that I could zip tie it above my bumper without impacting the rear storage compartment door. I put a cap (with holes in it) on the inboard end, and drilled a couple of holes on the outboard end for a smaller piece of PVC used to hold the hose in place. I've attached a couple of photos...

Anyway, I've got one of these assemblies mounted on each side above the bumper with three VERY heavy duty zip ties. Each of them holds one 10 foot section of the heavy duty red sewer hose. I needed to be a little careful with the zip ties - if the outboard end was mounted too tightly it would distort the PVC and make it difficult to insert / remove the hose.

For Solera models without the rear compartment, you could perhaps use one long length of PVC across as much of the back as you needed.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1233.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	71000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	71001  
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Nats, mine is a 2014. I'm still trying to figure out all the systems. I didn't get a sewer hose with mine and the one I purchased (with a clear section for viewing "progress") does not fit.

Dave, that's a nifty solution. I'll have to take some measurements to see if that would work. I've got a nice, big storage area, so the PVC can't be too long.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #13

I fit 2 lengths of hose, 2 elbows, a donut & wrench in my sewer hose compartment. It does take a little wiggling and I compress my hoses before attaching their end caps so that they're short. Guess it depends on what kind of hose you have but works for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	71064  
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
I fit 2 lengths of hose, 2 elbows, a donut & wrench in my sewer hose compartment. It does take a little wiggling and I compress my hoses before attaching their end caps so that they're short. Guess it depends on what kind of hose you have but works for me.
X2
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #15

As have others, I improvised and attached a 5" vinyl fence post cover (Lowe's) to the bumper with 2 bolts cushioned by rubber grommets. Inside is a 4 inch vinyl gutter which slides out to access the hose. When deployed, the gutter can also serve to keep the hose straight.

Another storage issue was in the shower. There are three corner shelves which aren't practical for holding items while traveling. I ordered Interdesign, Suction Cup, Corner baskets. Alas. Suction cups won't work on the textured surface of the shower enclosure. A thin bead of silicone applied to the suction cup did the trick! Its not permanent and can be removed for cleaning. Relocating one of the suction cups to the bottom of the basket strengthened the adhesion. The basket and contents remained in place despite California roadways best efforts to dislodge them.

I liked the Interdesign products and ordered the 9" Bronze cabinet door towel holders. They are a perfect fit and do double duty since you can pull on them to open the cabinet door.

The photos tell the story.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HoseHolder.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	71090   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoseHolder2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	71091   Click image for larger version

Name:	showertray.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	71092   Click image for larger version

Name:	towelbar.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	71093  
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #16

Great pics. The photos really do tell the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #17

Nice pics, MiataHorder. You did a nice job on it and the idea of using the gutter to support the hose is a good one too.

I agree with you about the shelves in the shower -- pretty useless for things if the rig is moving. My shower caddy sits on the floor until I can decide where to install it (with silicone).

I don't have an oven below the burners in mine (microwave/convection oven above) and there is a nice towel holder below the burners (but if you use it, you can't access the drawer behind the towel bar very easily). At least it has a towel bar.