Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Short height versus tall rv

Still looking to get the Solera 24MS but none around so need to buy sight unseen. My wife is 5' tall and yesterday we took a test ride in a Fleetwood jamboree for some comparison. Her feet don't touch the floor when sitting in the passenger seat or dinette. She also can't see into the microwave. We did get to see the other Solera models awhile back and test drove one for a few minutes. I was wondering if any of you could share personal experience about how comfortable it is or isn't when going long distances especially if you are short.

Charlie J.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Commercial Member

24M is no longer available for order.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

I know but there are still some on the market. They are just a long way from me!

Charlie J.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

BClemens - why did you stop making them? Seems most that have them, really like em .... was it because of the bed mechanism going bad? Just curious.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

My wife isn't much taller and has some of the same issues so we purchased a step stool like this:
B&R Plastics 101-6 White EZ Foldz Step Stool : Amazon.com : Automotive

We bought ours where we purchased the RV and I find it usefull as well. The exterior vent for the stove top is too high for me to reach without it.

My wife's feet do touch the floor in the dining and front seat although I've heard others put a step of some sort in the front as well.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Ours was ok till I added the swivel to the seat so my wife bought a small collapsible step at bath and beyond which takes the pressure off her back on long trips
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

My "Main Squeeze" is almost 5' tall. She brought a small step stool from home to reach upper cabinets and sometimes the microwave. Her feet do not rest on the floor in the pax seat. She uses a plastic storage box on the floor as a foot rest. No issues in the driver seat.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
BClemens - why did you stop making them? Seems most that have them, really like em .... was it because of the bed mechanism going bad? Just curious.
We're working on shortening the overall height by 5". We don't have the height we need to make that work. We may find another way, but that may take some time.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

One reason we bought the Solera was the inside height! We test drove a few rv's that had the lower ceiling, and the wife and I both thought the higher ceiling just gave it a more homely feel!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

I'm 6'4". The interior height was a primary deciding factor when I purchased my 2012 MS. I won't buy any RV with lower ceiling height.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Commercial Member

It's not all out of the ceiling height. We shrunk a little from the floor and ceiling. I was standing in the proto....didn't really notice a difference.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
Still looking to get the Solera 24MS but none around so need to buy sight unseen. My wife is 5' tall and yesterday we took a test ride in a Fleetwood jamboree for some comparison. Her feet don't touch the floor when sitting in the passenger seat or dinette. She also can't see into the microwave. We did get to see the other Solera models awhile back and test drove one for a few minutes. I was wondering if any of you could share personal experience about how comfortable it is or isn't when going long distances especially if you are short.

Charlie J.
I'm short, too, so we put a couple pieces of a rubber mat under the carpet on the passenger side. It works great and we don't have to mess with moving a step stool or other kind of object around. It's completely unnoticeable except to me!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
I'm short, too, so we put a couple pieces of a rubber mat under the carpet on the passenger side. It works great and we don't have to mess with moving a step stool or other kind of object around. It's completely unnoticeable except to me!
Some people are just smarter than the rest of us! I would never have thought of that!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

Well since the M model is no longer being made I guess that takes us out of the market. My wife did not like any of the other models. I did have my truck and camper on the market but took it off and we well just keep it. Oh well saves me a bunch of money as my almost new truck and camper are paid for so can just keep the money I was going to spend and use it on traveling instead.

So thanks everybody for your responses to all my questions but seeing as they don't make the M we well be back to the truck camper forums so won't be spending any time here any more.
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Commercial Member

An M type replacement will be available later this fall. Same exact layout, just a different set up for the bed. We'll continue to look at alternate beds going forward.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Commercial Member

I will post some pictures by the end of Sept.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
An M type replacement will be available later this fall. Same exact layout, just a different set up for the bed. We'll continue to look at alternate beds going forward.
BC, so glad to hear this news! We love our MS - to me it's the most efficient use of the small space available in the Solera. Please keep us posted on what the changes are going to be. For those who have had problems with the Murphy bed, hopefully a retrofit will be available (if you are able to improve on the current mechanism)!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
Well since the M model is no longer being made I guess that takes us out of the market. My wife did not like any of the other models. I did have my truck and camper on the market but took it off and we well just keep it. Oh well saves me a bunch of money as my almost new truck and camper are paid for so can just keep the money I was going to spend and use it on traveling instead.

So thanks everybody for your responses to all my questions but seeing as they don't make the M we well be back to the truck camper forums so won't be spending any time here any more.
Understand your disappointment. But never fear, BClemens is here. Apparently an updated version of the M will be available later this fall (of course, time estimates are always too optimistic), so hopefully you'll have one available for camping next year. So..... don't leave the forum just yet!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #19

Butch50, sorry to hear you gave up. I followed up on that one you told me about offline in Oklahoma. I joined the BFC (blind faith club) again and bought it sight unseen. Heading there this weekend to pick it up. I didn't want to wait until the factory figured out what they are going to do and then get around to making it. Also I have an extra vertebrate in my back so I sit rather tall. In many cases I don't fit in the slide out dinettes without hitting my head, so I didn't want to get into a situation where they are taking out 5" of anything. Hopefully by tomorrow we will be new owners and on our first road trip!

Charlie J.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

Congrats
Another SoCal solera owne
We are a rarity here
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote