Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Slide in or slide out?

Good afternoon all. I have a question that I have not seen addressed in this forum. It's getting to be that time of year to winterize so basically do you store your Solera with the slide in or the slide out for the winter? Rationale for either would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
Good afternoon all. I have a question that I have not seen addressed in this forum. It's getting to be that time of year to winterize so basically do you store your Solera with the slide in or the slide out for the winter? Rationale for either would be appreciated. Thanks
Squid: Interesting question. I haven't seen this addressed anywhere, either. However, thinking it through leads me to believe that the slide should not be brought all the way in so that it doesn't compress the seal to the point it takes a set. I say this thinking that it suits me to leave my slide out a couple of inches because I park my unit under a shed where it's protected from the weather; it might not be a good idea to leave it out if it's exposed to the elements.

I just ordered a can of Thetford 32778 Slide Out Rubber Seal Conditioner ($11.75 from Amazon) for this very purpose. Hopefully it will keep the seals soft and pliable… only time will tell if the stuff works!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

I'm going to put mine in just because.
If I had slide covers I would keep them in to protect them.
It does snow here now and again so I would not want to have any needless stress put on the frame and slide due to snow weight.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

I have to agree with Ford Idaho, I keep my in during storage we too get ice and snow on occasion and I'm not sure that the seal is good enough to keep everything out. I cover my MH but it's parked on a concrete pad next to my garage. Wish I could build a port for it but I just don't have the room.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I have to agree with Ford Idaho, I keep my in during storage we too get ice and snow on occasion and I'm not sure that the seal is good enough to keep everything out. I cover my MH but it's parked on a concrete pad next to my garage. Wish I could build a port for it but I just don't have the room.
I thought about covering my trailer but decided against it because it is sitting broadside to the prevailing wind direction'
At this point I am not sure the tire covers will stay on.

Like my PU the trailer was made to be outside.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

Ford, I agree with you that maybe a cover in high wind would be more harmful that good. I believe that PUs, trailers, and motorhomes are designed to operate in the great outdoors but it doesn't mean you have to keep them there 24/7
Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
Ford, I agree with you that maybe a cover in high wind would be more harmful that good. I believe that PUs, trailers, and motorhomes are designed to operate in the great outdoors but it doesn't mean you have to keep them there 24/7

I can agree with that, but my garage does not!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #8

Mine either. My Dodge 2500HD Megacab doesn't even fit since I put the bed shell cap on. The reason for the question is that I've been looking for a RV carport and most companies state that 18' wide is ideal for storing with the slide out.

Tags
slide, slide out