Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Slideout issues

We have a 2011 Solera. We purchased it in June. It has been parked with the slide in the out position. When we tried to slide it in this week, we could hear the "motor" trying to bring it in; but it wouldn't budge...nothing was in the way. At first we thought it was a 'power' problem. It shouldn't have been a power problem. The motorhome was plugged into a 110V outlet and the converter was in the 'on' position. Finally, it did slide in (very slowly).

We moved it back out just to be sure it was going to keep working. It was very sluggish, and it made an odd sound...like a rubbersoled tennis shoe deliberately scooting across a tile floor.

My husband got a ladder, and I climbed up to take a look at the top of the slide with it all the way out.

I'll try to describe what I saw...there is a rubber flange that is attached to the exterior of the motorhome at the top of the slide opening and lays atop the slide to seal it from the weather. At about the middle point of the top of the slide there was what looked like a portion of a bicycle inner tube protruding from underneath the rubber flange...very strange. This was preventing the flange from laying flat and doing it's job.

We then went inside, and I stood on a step stool so I could see the top of the slide room as it came back in. I could see where the rubber "inner tube" had come from. On the inside wall of the motorhome, across the top of the opening for the slide is another rubber flange. Glued on top of that flange is what looks like a bicycle inner tube that has been cut and stretched out to one long piece. The middle portion of this 'inner tube' has fallen down and now lays on top of the slide room when it is pulled in.

However, being rubber, it adheres to the top of the room; and therefore, goes back out with the slide. This rubber 'bulge' causes the room to slow down and makes the screeching noise, plus it pushes the rubber flange up on the outside causing it not to seal.

Has anyone else had an issue like this; and if so, what did you do about it. We plan to contact the dealership on Monday, but would like to have as much info as possible.

Thanks for your help.
popandgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Thank you Propandgrom.

After I read your post, I also took a step and looked on the top of the slide-out from the interior. The top rubber is missing two screws in the middle section. In fact, the screws are there but the rubber tored cause they did not put a washer or a steel bar, just plain screw through the rubber, hum.....cheap installation.

I will remove the old screws and put back the rubber in place with washer this time.

Pierre
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #3

Here are a few pictures of the problem.
The seal consist, in fact of 3 seals, one black outside, one black inside and one white inside.

The problem is created by the friction between the white seal and the interior black one.

Here is what happened: You open your slide out, it goes out and out and out till those 2 seals comes in contact THEN, your slide out goes DOWN to settle. The black seal is pulled downward and because of the poor retention system, it just doesn't hold.

The retention system is a simple nail tacked thru the rubber, no washer, no large head.

My black seal is now ripped on 4 nails and partly hanging outside. The white seal is ripped 2 nails.

My suggestion is to pull the seal back in place and screw it with large washer.

Also, to help future damage, I suggest to silicone spray (or graphite) heavily those two joints.

I think sooner or later, all slide out built this way will have broken seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5716.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	10553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5717.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	10554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5719.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	10555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5722.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	10556  

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
2012 Solera

I'm going to try some silicon spray to help ease the friction between the seal and slideout.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Slide-out issues, the repair !

What I was afraid of finally came on. The top interior seal is trying to invite itself for supper .

I also found out what cause the problem. Some nails were to close to the edge of the seal, merely holding it. So, it's not a problem that will show up on every Solera, just the one where the operator on the line did not pay enough attention where he was nailing

For the repair, I just put the seal back in place, cut a small opening in the seal so I can insert a washer then a screw and screw the seal back in place.

Of course, unless you have very small hands and arms, you will have to remove some moulding. Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7262_redimensionner.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	14487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7265_redimensionner.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	14488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7268_redimensionner.jpg
Views:	106