Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

So here is an off-the-wall idea that might appeal to some.

I have been looking at the TOAD solution - albeit a SmartCar on the ground, on a trailer, on a dolley, etc. It all looks like more than I want to get into right now, as we are mostly weekend-warriors with an occasional longer trip maybe 1-2 times a year.

For now, we just take the RV if we want to go somewhere when we are camping, but I don't think that is always going to be practical. What if we are at Hershey Campground, and want to go 1-2 miles to the Hershey Amusement Park, or what if we need to run to town for milk, or a movie, or dinner ?

This appeals to me -- buy a Honda PCX150 scooter, and a motorcycle hitch-rack from eTrailer.com for ~ $180 that would hang directly on the hitch. It is < 350 pounds total, so the hitch can handle it, the bike rides two, gets 100mpg, goes 70mph, and has a large storage area under the seat.

I only have two reservations - ONE is the 350 pounds I add to the rig, but no matter how I look at it, it appears the 350lb scooter will always be easier on the RV than pulling a TOAD - whatever the toad is, and I can back the RV up without having to physically disconnect something. TWO - will I cover up the taillights ? The bike is 75.3". I'll have to measure the RV, but worst-case is the lights shine around the 5 wheel spokes.

My wife said "what if it is raining ?". My reply - "We get wet. Bring a raincoat"

Old 03-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #12

I haul a Honda Rebel 250 on a Versahaul carrier, no problems so far. You don't even know it is back there. Only problem is when it rains the bike get all the road crud back there. The carrier was a bit pricey, I want to say around 400.00 but not sure.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
My wife said "what if it is raining ?". My reply - "We get wet. Bring a raincoat"
A scooter was my first choice until the DW said "I'm not getting on that thing" so I have been towing a Chev. Malibu. The car tows great at 3100 lbs but it is getting old and I thought it was time for something else. A couple of days ago I purchased a 2013 Smart car and am in the process of setting it up for towing. Big size and weight difference between the Malibu and Smart.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #14

CAfisherman, do you know what model Blue Ox base plate you have on your Smart? Is it the "BX1987?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #15

Sure I'll get flamed for this, but -

There are better car choices than a Smart for the same money. Honda Fit comes to mind (yes I have one that I use as a Toad). The Smart is not highly rated by any of the consumer publications or car magazines. The Fit is.

Second, adding the weight of a scooter to an already weight limited MBS platform will probably put you over maximum weight. My Forester MBS is payload limited to 925 pounds per FR. Add 26 gallons of diesel, plus any water, stuff, dog and people - I think we are already overweight. Probably not as big a deal as an overweight airplane (which is quite illegal) but questionable practice to me.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Senior Member - Retired

Yes, the Blue Ox baseplate I have is the BX1987. List price is around $450 so you will need to shop around for the best price.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
Yes, the Blue Ox baseplate I have is the BX1987. List price is around $450 so you will need to shop around for the best price.
Thanks, just ordered one. Will install myself as I did with the Malibu.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #18

[QUOTE=KatanaPilot;1139727]Sure I'll get flamed for this, but -

No flames, not even a little smoke.
That is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream; everyone is different.

BTW the price of a 2013 Smart with most bells and whistles is almost half of what a 2013 Fit costs and the towing of an automatic Smart is easier to set up than a Fit. Not a big deal in either case.

I have talked to several owners of the Smart and all were quit happy.

Smart weighs approx 750 lbs less.

I like the Honda Fit, but the Smart meets my towing needs.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #19

Sorry, wasn't trying to offend anyone with a Smart.

Sounds like you got a great deal on your Smart and also sounds like my Fit will hold it's value!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #20

No offence taken. And yes the Fit will hold its value much better than the Smart.

Tags
toad