Old 01-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Smart car toad pros and cons

Is anyone flat towing a smart for2 car? Your experiences and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

I am thinking of the same. Talked to guy that was towing a 2015. Hooks it up, key on, shift to neutral, bungee on steering wheel and away he goes. Said he loves it.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Towing a Smart Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
Is anyone flat towing a smart for2 car? Your experiences and thoughts would be much appreciated.
Hey Karter,

Check out the Wynn's site - they've been towing a smart car for several years:

How To and How Not To Tow a Car Behind an RV

Mark...
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

The FMCA 2016 Towing Guide states that for 2016 Smart changed the engine and transmission and is no longer flat towable. You may want to confirm that with the dealer if you are looking at purchasing a 2016 Smart....

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Several strings about the SMART car. Miatahorder had a nice summary someplace, but I can only find this short one: New Toad Option Soon
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

I set our Equinox to flat tow behind our 24R. Was able to pull the Equinox but it just seemed a bit heavy so found a great deal on a 2014 Smart. Had Camping World install brackets for our Sterling tow bar and wire the lights. Love towing the Smart, do not even know it is behind us. Is easy to set up for flat towing just make sure to follow the directions in your owners manual. Believe 2015 is the last year that is flat 4 down towable.
Only bad thing for some folks is only a two passenger, works for us but not others. When we have GK along and need a car we toe the Equinox. Love our Smart car and glad we have it along on most trips.
BadBob
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Member - Retired

We have been towing a Smart car for a little less than one year. So far everything has been fine. It may take you a few "tows" to get the bungee cord adjusted. It has to be stretched tight enough to return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position but not so tight it keeps the steering wheel from turning correctly when the tow vehicle makes turns. Due in part to how light the Smart car is, you need to ensure the tow bar is as parallel to the ground as possible. If the tow bar is much higher at the MH than it is at the Smart car, it can cause the front wheels of the Smart car to lift off the road when the rear of the MH travels up and down on road bumps, etc. I elected to install a battery cutoff switch, auxiliary braking system and breakaway cable. Increased the cost of the set up, but living in California I wanted the setup to be a safe as possible.

Installing the base plates is not for the faint of heart. It requires temporarily relocating the front airbags. Blue Ox has a good write-up with pictures, on installing their base plates on a Smart car.

I have attached a copy of the checklist I use when preparing the Smart car for towing and for driving it after towing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Smart Car2.pdf (85.5 KB, 206 views)
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #8

CW did not have to move the airbag for our 2014 Smart did need to remove most of the front end panels. Brackets for the Roadmaster tow bar hardly noticeable when cross bar is removed. I have a battery disconnect and use a bungee cord on the steering wheel. Did forget the bungee a few times and was no problem with the tracking of the Smart. We are very happy with the Smart and use it as our daily run around car.
BadBob
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

This May Be A Silly Question Because I Havn't TOAD Yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
We have been towing a Smart car for a little less than one year.
I have attached a copy of the checklist I use when preparing the Smart car for towing and for driving it after towing.
For all the cost and complexity to get it all to work and hook/unhook - including modifications to the vehicle, why not just get a $1600 car dolly with lights and brakes?
Old 01-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Senior Member - Retired

You make an excellent point about a dolly. I researched dolly's and small trailers. I keep all our toys on our property which is relatively large for Southern California but painfully small compared to the rest of the country. Adding a dolly or trailer seemed to be one more thing to have to find space to store. You can back up a trailer but not a dolly or a four wheel down Toad so no dolly advantage there. Depending on the vehicle being used with a dolly, there are still procedures that need to be done to the vehicle, especially if the vehicle is rear wheel drive or an automatic. some vehicle owner manuals say four wheel down towing is OK but not two wheel down. Some of the places we stay lave strict limits on motorhome length and do not allow trailers or dolly's on camping spots. After some practice I fell I can hook up our Toad and be ready to go, in the same or less time than it takes to hook up a dolly, drive the vehicle onto the dolly, secure the wheels, etc. As to cost, yes the dolly would be cheaper.

Following is a picture of the front of our Smart car Toad. The tow bar hookup does not use a cross brace on the tow vehicle which I like. The connection points for the tow bar go into receivers behind the front grill and turn to latch and lock. Less than thirty seconds to take both of them off or put on.
Attached Images

Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad