Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
smog check frequency

Received my California registration renewal notice on my 2011 (sold new in 2012) solera and saw I needed it smogged already. Apparently diesel vehicles need it more often than gas cars.

On the plus side, it cost the same as a car and I was able to get it done at the local speedy lube in less than an hour.

Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
I thought they let you go 4 years or so before the 1st smog inspection. Joke is..diesels are nothing but a visual inspection and a check for diagnostic codes. (at least that's what mine is).

bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Same here in Pa. Smog checks just interrogate the computer, if it's happy you are good to go.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Personally I think it is just another way for the states to make more money. They only check to see if you changed the program with a programmer which is legal if it has a EO (exclusion order) on it. Which some company's like Banks has he was working with the state to set up the smog program do I smell a conflict of interest? When they aired the new program on TV they showed all the smog mechanics that were there smiling ear to ear. Yea easy money.. Well I'm finished venting...

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote