Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Snow Load on Roof

Does anybody know what the allowable snow load on the roof of a 25R is?
I got a foot of snow on it now and I start to wonder.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #2

I dont know the answer, but you could cause more damage trying to take snow off, without realizing it until spring. I've had 2 ft on it without problems.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

You don't see dealers removing snow off the units on their lots do you? Living in Wisconsin we see plenty of the white stuff and I've never had a problem.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I would be very careful about going up there if there is heavy wet snow on the roof. Wet snow plus a day of drizzle will put a load of weight up there and adding yourself to shovel it off may be too much.

I know that when I had my AC replaced there were two BIG guys (pushing 300 EACH) up there working on it. I figure all that weight on a space the size of four boots means that roof construction is pretty darn strong.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

I had over two feet on my roof last year. I used a folding ladder, plastic shovel and a snow rake with a plastic blade to remove most of the snow. I left a couple inches on just to make sure I wouldn't damage the roof with a tool. I don't think you should have a problem with only a foot.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Need a roof defroster. Maybe soneone will come up with that idea. Lol

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

Heavy,un distributed loads are what breaks roof trusses.Up here I see a few pole barns go down from snow and what happens is that the trusses transmit so much load to the side walls that they blow out and then the whole mess drops into the room.The building code here is 75psf,which roughly translates into 4' of system snow. I have had 4' on my all aluminum enclosed sled trailer,enough weight that I could not open the man doors on the sides! But still there is not a wrinkle in the roof from it.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

More Than 4 Feet

I'm sure you guys heard about the huge storm that dumped up to 7 feet of snow here in West Seneca, NY. last month
My RV is stored outside and had no less than 4 - 5 feet of snow on the roof after the storm. (in 24 hours)
No problems at all. Because snow is evenly distributed along the entire structure it can carry the weight.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

A always clean my GEO T 375t MH
snow finds ways to get in thaw then freezes etc
glenn56h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
TGR

I tried to carefully remove the snow from my camper one time and succeeded to break one of the vent covers that was hidden under the snow.

I now leave well enough alone!
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #11

Toppers are more of a concern with snow for me. When I see them sag I get worried they will tear.
ezawacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #12

I have had 3 or 4 feet of snow on my past trailers before. I only had trouble once when I parked it behind a warehouse and all the snow blew off the warehouse roof and buried the trailer. What you need to watch for is rain or quick thaws then 6 inches of snow will hold water and weigh more than many feet of snow. But as other stated you could do more damage by clearing it off than leaving it alone. I am going to see if I can find a pic of the time my old trailer got buried behind the warehouse.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I was worried about the snow weight on my 5er before I leave for Texas. The problem isn't the snow load on the trusses but how much weight on the axles when I pull down the road. I figured the best bet is to bring it up to the heated wash bay at the bus garage where I work at for the weekend before we leave. I think this would be the lazy man approach.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I was worried about the snow weight on my 5er before I leave for Texas. The problem isn't the snow load on the trusses but how much weight on the axles when I pull down the road. I figured the best bet is to bring it up to the heated wash bay at the bus garage where I work at for the weekend before we leave. I think this would be the lazy man approach.
Or drive under a low overpass. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #15

It seems to me it would take a huge snow load to damage an RV roof. But I can see snow melting to some degree and running into crevices or vents, or re-freezing and thereby cracking something. I did try to remove a particularly heavy snow once, and I had lots of trouble, not to mention the extreme danger of climbing around up there. I say keep the vents shut tight to avoid or lessen water infiltration and let warmer temperatures or that low underpass to remover it.

Tags
roo, roof, snow