Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

So far......

WE have had our Solara now for 2 1/2 weeks, we have put 500 miles on him/her. We just love it! My husband and i both are very comfortable driving it, and it handles very well. Very few blind spots, and I love the cruise control. Our 3 furry kids have found their places during the ride. On the way to Nola last Friday night, we got off the interstate and went to a grocery store, got sandwiches, cookies and ate in the parking lot! On Wednesday we will do our first over night. Going to a RV park in Biloxi, just for fun. Our neighbor who has a class A spent several hours with me this weekend making sure I felt comfortable hooking things up. This is going to be a blast :-)
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Anacortesians

Very glad to hear you're enjoying the experience, Debbie. After experience with a 26' Class C a few years back, we decided to go Class A. We looked at the Sprinter-based rigs but found them a little bit too small.

We found a really nice one in a private sale only 30 miles from home. This is our third (calendar) season with it that just ended. Our first one was curtailed because we didn't buy until mid-July and this year I had an angioplasty just before New Year, then DW had rotator cuff surgery in May.

After that we had to get ready for a big family get-together over the Labor Day weekend when our son, d-i-l and 9-month old grand-daughter (whom we hadn't met) came over from Tokyo for 2 weeks. My sister came out from England and our three daughters, spouses, significant others, 4 late-teens grand-daughters and an 8-year-old grandson were with us the entire weekend. I think we averaged maybe 16 people for meals on Friday through Monday.

We got our breath back enough to do a 6-day trip, including an IRV2.com NW meet & Greet, but that was all for the season.

Our weather has suddenly switched from late summer to late fall in less than a week. Two weeks ago it was clear skies, sunshine and temps in the mid 70s. Today it was dull, grey, raining and a high around 50. I decided to break out the gloves for the morning dog walk!

We hope that, next season, we'll be more active! The rig is too significant an investment not to use it, despite gas prices.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp
Very glad to hear you're enjoying the experience, Debbie. After experience with a 26' Class C a few years back, we decided to go Class A. We looked at the Sprinter-based rigs but found them a little bit too small.

We found a really nice one in a private sale only 30 miles from home. This is our third (calendar) season with it that just ended. Our first one was curtailed because we didn't buy until mid-July and this year I had an angioplasty just before New Year, then DW had rotator cuff surgery in May.

After that we had to get ready for a big family get-together over the Labor Day weekend when our son, d-i-l and 9-month old grand-daughter (whom we hadn't met) came over from Tokyo for 2 weeks. My sister came out from England and our three daughters, spouses, significant others, 4 late-teens grand-daughters and an 8-year-old grandson were with us the entire weekend. I think we averaged maybe 16 people for meals on Friday through Monday.

We got our breath back enough to do a 6-day trip, including an IRV2.com NW meet & Greet, but that was all for the season.

Our weather has suddenly switched from late summer to late fall in less than a week. Two weeks ago it was clear skies, sunshine and temps in the mid 70s. Today it was dull, grey, raining and a high around 50. I decided to break out the gloves for the morning dog walk!

We hope that, next season, we'll be more active! The rig is too significant an investment not to use it, despite gas prices.
Hope you get to use it much more next season. We are in the deep south, so our winter isnt off-season.. Probably more off-season in the dead of summer around here, too hot and buggy.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #4

We will go into the office this morning for a couple hours, then head to th Mississippi Gulf coast for our first (of hopefully lots in the future), overnight. I know this sounds silly to y'all, but it is a new experience for us. We are going to leave our furry kids at home with our daughter for the first overnight. Kinda like a honeymoon (we've been married for 22 years, though) - but have never stayed in an RV overnight! Don't y'all just hate "newbies :-)".
Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
(we've been married for 22 years, though)
Only 22 years, you are still on your honeymoon.

Don't be afraid to try different camping sites, if you don't like it you can try another the next night. We like state & local parks, LL Bean RV parking at Freeport, ME, & even tried a Walmart parking lot during hurricane Irene last year.

When it gets too hot, you can start heading north for a cooler climate.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

We are here! Everything is hooked up and I didnt even have to call anyone! Very nice campground, looks like lots of people spend more than a week here. Ill let y'all know how our first experience is. So far, i love the Solera!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #7

Our very first RV overnight went well. The weather is perfect, campground excellent. All the appliances have worked flawlessly. Bed was very comfortable (I did add a 3" memory foam topper to it) . My husband and i just coordinated when it was time to hit the can in the middle of the night! Crawling over him wasnt as big of a deal as i thought it might be. I do wish it had more counter space, having to fill up the coffee pot and then place it on the sink. But, maybe ill just get one of those single cup makers for the Solera..

November and December are already filled up for us - im thinking we will need to do this again as soon as we can, and stay for more than one night! Maybe do Gulf Shores state park in January. This RV thing might turn out to be an obsession!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good to hear all is going well!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #9

Wow! Sounds like everything was perfect, as it should be. We use a French press for coffee & it takes a lot less space. Get a big one that makes 4 cups. Counter space is always a problem which my DW solves by putting the double sink cover on the bed.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

Thanks, I am going to look into a smaller coffee pot. We had a blast, hopefully in a couple of hours we can unhook everything correctly. I'm not sure if we will empty the tanks or not. I haven't done that yet. Will check the levels before we head out and see.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks, I am going to look into a smaller coffee pot. We had a blast, hopefully in a couple of hours we can unhook everything correctly. I'm not sure if we will empty the tanks or not. I haven't done that yet. Will check the levels before we head out and see.
If you like Starbucks, you might want to try their instant - it's called Via.
I ditched the coffee machine and now just carry a kettle.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #12

It's going to be awhile until we can go overnight again because of life committments. But I want to get our three dogs introduced to the adventure, so With the help of this forum (pet section), I have bought the exercise pens to set up out the door. After we return to Alabama on Monday, I think I will set us up in the driveway like we were at a campground. Take the dogs out with me and just hang out in the Solera with them. May even "camp" in the drivewy and see how it goes with them. Two will probably go with the flow, but out terrier mix is a bit crazy, so this will be a good indicator of how much of a challenge taking the dogs will be. They ride with us in the Solera every weekend to New Orleans, but again, that is ride with the slide in. We have a pet barrier between the cab and the house so they can't get into the cab area. Just used the one we bought for our SUV we traded in for the Solera. Again, all new adventures. This forum has been wonderful for us newbies, thanks everyone!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Commercial Member

I'm a big keurig fan. We sent my daughter down to Purdue with a dorm size that fits on top of their mini fridge.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #14

That is what we use in the solera
The small keurig
I like strong coffee but my wife likes weaker
Easy to store
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Commercial Member

My wife doesn't drink coffee and the best way to brew a good cup...is to brew 4 or 5 cups. Always wasted and clean up was a hassle I tried the senseo, but it was bitter. Keurig was the first machine to fit the bill.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #16

I'm a fan of the keurig, but have not had one that lasted more than a year. Also, the small one is not very small. Not compared to the Seneo anyways. I like the Senseo - I have a couple of them, but the pouring in of the water 1 cup at a time is a pain. If you want a machine, that is about as small as they get. I found the coffee flavor fine - there are alot of different blends to choose from.

If you dry camp you know that a machine is an issue - basically you can't be on battery power (very long) and use one. That's why a kettle on the gas stove is ideal.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
If you dry camp you know that a machine is an issue - basically you can't be on battery power (very long) and use one. That's why a kettle on the gas stove is ideal.
Excellent point. We always use a French press for brewing & a covered pan on the stove to get the water boiling. It solves the storage/counter top space issue. We already carry the pan & the French press is cup size. You do need to experiment on how much coffee to use.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #18

Our keurig takes no counter space as it is stowed under the sink unless in use and has a small footprint
Cleanup is a breeze and coffee is always fresh
I always use filtered water and our machine is 4 years old and since solerA has generater power no problem
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #19

Our two dogs love it when I put the slide out it's play time.