Old 07-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
Love our 2014 24R and am happy with how it handles and drives. Do hear a few rattles and squeaks but have never been in a motor home that does not have this problem. Wish ours had outdoors speakers and have been thinking about trying to add them but not sure how that will work out. The Mercedes platform seems to handle the 24R just fine and brakes seem to work well. Have had several CEL and am going into Freightliner this week to have checked.
Happy so Far

BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
Badbob, report back on your CEL's would you. Always nice to reference something if others get similar CEL codes, and know how they were dealt with. Thanks.

Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
Pod2Vibe states" Their 24G has half of the cargo storage of the 24R, with the same floor plan." Not true. The 24G has a rear slide out which turns into a very comfortable walk around queen bed. The J has a double bed stuck in a corner. I'm sure the cargo capacity is less in a G, but not 1/2 the J. Everything in RV's is a trade off.
We use our G for two months at a time, no problem with storage (although we do have to put some stuff in the back of our Honda Fit toad).

The Solera 24R floor plan has the same rear slide with the walk around queen bed and has 75 cu. ft. of exterior storage.

The Coachmen 24G has 41 cu. ft. of exterior storage.

I was not referring to a "J" so not sure about that but the Coachmen 24J has 42 cu. ft.
2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
Getting up to 65 on the freeway seemed adequate.
Freeway cruising seemed nice also (I think they had the tires inflated to the max also).
Handled the 15mph headwinds ok- just a little wind noise and buffeting.

I just think I need something a little more heavy duty.
If I do need to tow 6k- I like to know it's there.

Absolutely love the floorplan.
FR is doing an awesome job there.

One thing I forgot to mention- they screwed up on in production-(or the delivery driver hit something and shoved it upward) the tailpipe was up against the MH body on the passenger side. The rubber hanger was pulling it up tight to the box and rubbing against it.
That can and does make for some noise and vibrations in the coach body.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
If you want to tow 6k- I would not even consider the MBZ. Handles my 4100lb Equinox but is all I want on the back. Am looking at a Smart car as a dingy as only two of us most of the time. Will pull the Equinox when I have grandkids along and need a dingy. For most trips I go without a dingy.
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Total Loss,It sounds like you enjoy the big, strong, powerful RVs. If you like the overkill then MBS is probably not powerful enough. I've been driving a diesel pusher for 11 years and ready to lighten up the HP and leave the 7-8 mpg behind. I think FR has a fine unit and I am waiting to test drive the new W when one reaches CA.
gary ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
I am one month into owning a new 24W. The power is not excessive but neither is the gasoline use. I like that. I tow a Honda CRV, 4200 pounds, with no problem. I did install an RVi brake system. Love the W version with the amazing space in the middle of the coach after the huge slide goes out. I have owned class A's, fifth wheels and trailers and this combo of space, decent MPG, fairly quiet (very quiet compared to my Ford 450 Moho I sold) and tons of outside storage for this size, almost as much as my 32 foot Jayco Moho had, works great for us.
But for the OP in this thread, sounds like you need a bigger rig than the Solera 24 for towing. Good luck in your search but do not go conservative with tow capacity. Even with the Ford 450, towing a Jeep Wrangler was a challenge on hills heading from Oregon to AZ.
Doug Michaels
2015 Solera 24W
Three big dogs
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #18

I am out.
I purchased a 2016 2251 LE Chevy.
I wanted to get a Chevy before they ran out here locally.
Paid 30k less than the "W".
Drives tight.
Chassis is MUCH heavier duty- what I like.
See you down the road.
Good luck.

Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote